Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    I mean standard battle order.
    thought SBO meant Skeleton Battle Order?

no but seriously...sunglasses are the norm for most photographers today(even for indoor shoot!)..haha.. and they dun even wear them!! just put on their head only

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

shy for what?

nowadays so many teenagers hang their DSLR on their neck like.. "WOW! BOOMz!"..

SHINGZ!

Quote Originally Posted by IamJeFfy View Post
    shy for what?

nowadays so many teenagers hang their DSLR on their neck like.. "WOW! BOOMz!"..

SHINGZ!
    Prolly 10 years down the road, you will see the teenage girls camwhoring self portraits with a Hasselblad MF.
    Last edited by hongkie; 30th October 2009 at 03:48 PM.
    As Always - My Flickr
    Canon User since Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    I won't discount the facts of situation. I would avoid places where paid photographers may be around as their goal is getting the best shot. It is not a place for inexperience like myself in a competitive situation.
    Eh, just to point something out, there are times where paid photographers would be segregate to another location for shooting, it would not be mixed with freelance shooters location.

For instance, my case, the walk show photographers are standing infront of a barricade while FL shooters like us are to stand behind the barricade. Any people behind this barricade are "For all" area. You get to see FL shooters camera are even much better than the walk show official photographers, resulting some people misunderstood that the official photographers are in that line too.

If authorised photographers, it is better to apply for a pass to go in take a better position than standing with us though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Yanou, it's funny but I was thinking about the camera "status" as a matter of resistance. Like at the Canon Photo Marathon, I endlessly think about whipping out an obsolete compact camera, then getting a good ranking nonetheless. Sort of a way of proving the point that even very fundamental equipment is perfectly capable of taking on the great big kits...if the photographer is skilled enough. Unfortunately, I'm not personally at that level yet, but I sure as hell wana try =p
    Remind me of Initial D, Takumi haha. An old car AE86 beating a Mitsubishi EVO. Woot!

I did feel a bit shy, until last week, i met someone just using A100 w/ kit lens, price at least 3 times cheaper than mine, and photo taken was WOW!. and felt embarased cos i'm actualy under ultilize my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by spidercrown View Post
    I did feel a bit shy, until last week, i met someone just using A100 w/ kit lens, price at least 3 times cheaper than mine, and photo taken was WOW!. and felt embarased cos i'm actualy under ultilize my gear.
    In the end I can say is: Skill, Practices and know your equipment.

It take practices to know your equipment well followed by gaining skill from there.

Don't worry, always learn from the wrong to get it correct. I am sure all can do it.

And most important thing, always take in criticism from others, cos it make you perform even better next time by learning to improve from criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by kkvolution View Post
    Remind me of Initial D, Takumi haha. An old car AE86 beating a Mitsubishi EVO. Woot!
    his dad got tune his AE86 abit also leh

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    his dad got tune his AE86 abit also leh
    No matter how you tune still an AE86, you still need the skill to drive. ~_~ I pointing is on the skill.

It's because the AE86 only races downhill courses la. Uphill against a 300BHP Evo it'd be beaten hands down

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    Don't feel intimidated by any big camera lah. If anyone is really interested in photography, he can't be bothered about what camera you use. He will be more likely to teach than to show attitude.

If one need a big camera to boost ego, then we should all feel sorry for him.
    Hey, well said, two200!
    A good photographer not only produces good shots (and of course, that will mean that there is a higher tendency for him to have a slightly better set of equipment as he would appreciate them), but also would have a certain code of conduct. In my opinion, photography is a special field where many experienced photographers would be more than willing to share and teach, than to hold back their techniques.
    Many experienced photogs whom I met in camera shops, photo shoots, photo trips, kopi tiam (real one outside, not the CS one) have spent hours after hours teaching me and enlightening me, despite just only knowing each other for a couple of hours!
    How's that for being magnanimous?

only if it's smaller than the other guy's at the next urinal...
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

actually, i would be more interested to know what lens the photographers are using, rather than the body.
    Nikon D300

other "photographers" i wouldn't feel shy. cause i know i am not as good as them.
    as for photography hobbist, why feel shy? bigger gun doesn't mean he/she marksman what. it just shows that he/she got money.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Many experienced photogs whom I met in camera shops, photo shoots, photo trips, kopi tiam (real one outside, not the CS one) have spent hours after hours teaching me and enlightening me, despite just only knowing each other for a couple of hours!
    How's that for being magnanimous?
    wooo, serious? You referring to those uncle sitting at kopitiam drink kopi?? That's interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    In my opinion, photography is a special field where many experienced photographers would be more than willing to share and teach, than to hold back their techniques.
    That's because no matter how much they teach you, in the end it's still up to you as you'll be the one finding the that angle, that light and pressing that shutter release. The real pros (and hobbyists alike) don't mind sharing exactly because they can still make better photos than the average joe who might also know just as much as they do.

Back to the topic, I guess I am shy sometimes. Especially when everyone's carrying a p&s. haha.

Anyways, something happened recently that got me thinking about this. I walked into a supposedly reputed camera shop recently with my camera with a pancake 30+ year old manual focus 20mm lens and the salesperson actually scoffed at me!

"You use old lens ah?", he said. I have no idea why he is even wearing a Leica polo tee shirt.

It must be because of such people that newbies are afraid to show their gear in public (although I feel that many people don't have a problem with this)...

Quote Originally Posted by kkvolution View Post
    No matter how you tune still an AE86, you still need the skill to drive. ~_~ I pointing is on the skill.
    His dad also tell him not to spill the tau-huay chwee.... hahahahaha.... can you imagine shooting photos with a 20 cents coin balanced on the lens?!?!?
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    wooo, serious? You referring to those uncle sitting at kopitiam drink kopi?? That's interesting...
    Nope. Not those uncles in kopitiam, but those good photogs whom I meet in the camera shop and then after that bring me to kopitiam and buy me a drink and start talking. ones... these!

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    That's because no matter how much they teach you, in the end it's still up to you as you'll be the one finding the that angle, that light and pressing that shutter release. The real pros (and hobbyists alike) don't mind sharing exactly because they can still make better photos than the average joe who might also know just as much as they do.
    Yes precisely. And that is why experienced photographers never fear sharing because their experiences allow them the power to better photos then newbies.
    I am sure you will also agree that, when we talk to experienced photogs, here and there we would pick up pointers and tips that will make our process easier and refine our workflow. That is what I was referring to as their sharing. And that is why I say photography is a magnanimous industry (I hope I am right still).

I was shooting an ultimate frisbee match during the singapore open earlier this year. There was someone with a nikon 200mm f/2, who I think was the hired pro for the competition. I was shooting along with my olympus 50-200mm, and he was the one who first inquired about my equipment! Didn't feel the need to be shy at all though, as I play the game myself and know how to take the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    His dad also tell him not to spill the tau-huay chwee.... hahahahaha.... can you imagine shooting photos with a 20 cents coin balanced on the lens?!?!?
    Train to handhold at shutter speeds of 1/4 and below lo

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast