Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

It is call fashion.

I am one who wears sunglasses when taking outdoor pics in the afternoon. Sunglass don't make photographing any easier, it is just that with polarizing sunglass (my with degree), the view, sky, tree, water are beautiful thru your eyes. But I don't wear jacket.

Sometimes people may be wearing transistion glasses. However polarizing sunglass don't work well in morning and evening sun.

Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    i do see occasional guys wearing sbo-like jackets and sunglasses with the works..haha.. always makes me laugh.
    if u are confident of ur own ability, u dun have to worry abt wat others think or do. most of the time..they will be like u too.

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

When I see photographers crowding around, I keep my camera in the bag and move to another location. It's not because I'm shy, but because I'm scouting for an alternate angle. Plus, I don't like competing for space with other photographers, and worst of all, having them stray into my shot.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

I would equate to the car analogy... Are you going to feel bad when you drive a Toyota Vios beside a Ferrari? They got better equipment (car/camera) and get better performance (car/camera) out of their equipment leh.

I guess initially you would, feeling inadeqant, feeling envious, but ultimately, its the drive you should be concern about. He may have a better ride, but unless he can handle it, he'll just crash at the next turn (or something like that).

Concentrate on your shoot, remember your passion of wanting to capture memories, stay in it and after a very short while, the feelings of inadequacy will fade away and you'll start enjoying your shoot!

Just my 2 cents.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

i used to when i was starting out...

but no longer now...
    i guess initially when starting,it's not so much abt the gears, but jus a lack of confidence in myself.
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    like guys who are shy when using the urinal in a crowded toilet?

pls..take yr shot and be jolly make sure u get everything right.. haha..
    agreeed
    Pentax K-x

Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    agreeed
    haha...

Mine's the opposite lol. If I've no purpose in mind on what to shoot, i'll feel weird carrying a cam around...

I don't care what cams and equipments other people use, cause they are shooting their own photos and I'm shooting mine... if we're shooting the same subjects, I'm just focused on getting a shot I'm satisfied with... why be so concerned about the cam??

I actually feel more shy if nobody around me is handling a camera. If there are people handling cameras, be it slr or pns, i will feel more @ ease.

Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    More like I will feel shy to take out my camera in public alone. If there's a more Pro photographer besides me, I'll be more than happy to take it out since the attention will be on his loud gears.
    I agree on this...

What abt bring this camera along....
    ppl will at you.....

What abt this... do you think carry all these big gear look PRO??

Sometimes reluctant if the place is crowded but it's really all about self confidence. Let the shots do the talking.
    I try to get into a "zone" to get a shot that satisfies me does the subject some justice.
    Old saying but "begin with the end in mind" helps the focus!
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

Hahaha wait till you have shot with birders/wildlife photographers...all the big telephoto lenses are damn intimidating! If you have a "small" lens like 300mm f4 you'll feel & , and the temptation to upgrade is so strong, after a month or so, suddenly you find a 600mm sitting in your dry cabi. No kidding...true story!

Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    i don't feel shy at all. i pity them having to carry such heavy things. you do not have to feel bad because dSLRs are so cheap nowadays, most people can afford one. i like small cameras.
    dSLRs are as common as PnS nowadays...every Tom Dick Harry has them since their so cheap. Nowadays you see tour groups at least almost half of them are having dSLRs slung around their necks....usally coupled with kit lenses. And some of them even handle them like PnS.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Nope. There's a lot you can get away with if you shoot with a crappy p&s.
    This I full agree. I would rather prefer to blend in the environment than stand out with a huge camera sticking on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by narofx View Post
    anyway, once i was at the Peak in Hong Kong taking the following night shot.

Then, suddenly, i saw a flash of light!! i turned around and saw someone using a DSLR with pop-up flash!!! OMG!!!
    Hahaha...well I've seen ppl taking fireworks/nite shots with semi-pro dSLR and big lens mounted on tripod and inexplicably also mounted a flashgun on their hotshoe. Maybe they thot oredi bought a expensive flash, might as well use it everytime right?

To TS: Well just ignore lar, just keep in ur mind the most important is not the gear used but the end product. Everytime you encounter this situation, just think to urself "Use pro gear....So what? I can shoot better than you with my "inferior" equipment!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Bigger camera? It is not the size that counts. Think of Leica M9, LX3.....

Bigger lens? Primes are smaller than their zoom equivalents.

When I stand at a public urinal, I always take a peek at the one next to me - compare my tool against his. I get an ego boost if mine is bigger.
    That's it! no more urinals for me.

Actually cannot blame that poor chap.

I attended the beginner photography course and during the first lesson, the instructor will usually advise what camera to buy, especially to those who do not own any DSLR.

He will advise the trainee to go for at least mid-range or if $$$ no issue, go for higher range. Rationale being, the lower range/entry level will usually be replace over a shorter time span. Thus if one is really interested in photography, go for the mid to high range as the body will last longer and depreciate shower.

Of course he do qualify that having a good body does not guarantee good pictures. What determines a good picture are the things that are in front and behind the camera body, i.e. the lenses and the photographer.

Well, I took his advise and land up with a 7D and some nice lenses.... however, I am still a newbie trying to improve on my skill....thus a bit shy in front of all the veteran photographers....

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Tagged along to my dad's beginner photography course outing last week for fun. Brought my camera and a 50mm 1.4(which is rather small and compact, nice to handle) to take some shots as well. Saw a student there using 1d3+70-200 2.8+some gitzo tripod.

Halfway during the outing, he was trying to get a shot of some flower with shallow DOF. He set the camera to f16, took a shot and realised the background was still quite clear.

"Looks like I need to make my aperture bigger"

Then he set to f22 and took the shot again.

Later he gave up and went to consult the instructor

"Thought bigger aperture means more background blur?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    dSLRs are as common as PnS nowadays...every Tom Dick Harry has them since their so cheap. Nowadays you see tour groups at least almost half of them are having dSLRs slung around their necks....usally coupled with kit lenses. And some of them even handle them like PnS.
    That's why it is no wonder a lot of people based their DSLR purchase decision on the quality of Live-view and Video. For me, even in PnS days, I cannot live without a viewfinder. All my cameras has a viewfinder, optical or EVF. I think this preference came from my film days.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 30th October 2009 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post

Ah the joys of shooting golf :P

wah ****. got knee pad somore! and got LAW tube sling behind his back.

this guy macam want to go to war!

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    Haha, I think this problem only occur to ammatures like me.. Do you feel shy when you see other photographers carrying better camera or look more professional in front of you and even made you move to another subject to shoot instead...??

I used to feel that when I first got my DSLR, now not so much... But if someone is carrying freaking large gears, I've got a feeling of getting bullied.. LOL...
    Very simple. Go out with people from the alternative photography section. People like me usually carry cheap crappy plastic cameras out. You will feel like king with us around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Ah the joys of shooting golf :P
    do u get dirty looks when u rattle off shots on the golf course? or snipe from far with a super tele?

What abt bring this camera along....
    ppl will at you.....

they wont la..
    ]more like "this is cool" "wth does it do anyway?"
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast