Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Actually I usually feel the other way around... self conscious because some other photographer will think I know what I'm doing because I have good gear!

Would be nice if people started worrying about feeling shy when they showed their pictures to other photographers, rather than about the gear tho ^.^

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

i feel like..... 'hi friend!'

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    Haha, I think this problem only occur to ammatures like me.. Do you feel shy when you see other photographers carrying better camera or look more professional in front of you and even made you move to another subject to shoot instead...??

I used to feel that when I first got my DSLR, now not so much... But if someone is carrying freaking large gears, I've got a feeling of getting bullied.. LOL...
    when you start realising that a lot of people with big cameras do not know what they are doing

and that it doesn't matter, that people with small cameras can produce wonderful pictures

then you have understood photography, then you can do everything with more confidence.

the pictures speak for themselves. i want good pictures, not to show how pro my equipment is.

Nope. There's a lot you can get away with if you shoot with a crappy p&s.

Blog Entries

That's it!. I'm going to order the Stormtrooper bullet proof vest looking Cotton Carrier. Oh wait... I don't think they have it in my size...

Nothing to do with the use of terms and thanks for elaborating the products, I hv learned something more from here. Just that my brain was stuck with the word sbo. Sometimes an abbreviation looks so familar but yet cannot remember where one have seen it. The irony was the word sbo-like did not ring the bell but SBO in caps did?

I mean standard battle order.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Hehe... I know deep inside the right term to call it is belt-and-harness system, or Think Tank Speed Belt Pro or something like that. I don't use the expensive Think Tank, but a much cheaper alternative by Safrotto which I found very comfortable. But just that, it reminded me so much of my SBO that I've never stopped calling it my SBO.

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    Haha, I think this problem only occur to ammatures like me.. Do you feel shy when you see other photographers carrying better camera or look more professional in front of you and even made you move to another subject to shoot instead...??

I used to feel that when I first got my DSLR, now not so much... But if someone is carrying freaking large gears, I've got a feeling of getting bullied.. LOL...
    i don't feel shy at all. i pity them having to carry such heavy things. you do not have to feel bad because dSLRs are so cheap nowadays, most people can afford one. i like small cameras.

i do agree with night86mare in that quite a lot of ppl with professional gears may not know how to use them properly.

if that feeling is really driving u crazy, i suggest you buy better ones then, just to make yourself happier.
    cameras are not made of tofu

im not shy to take out camera infront of other photographers.

im shy to take it out in front of public. don't know why, when there's photographers, ifeel more at ease.

make them feel shy taking out their gears nxt time when they see ur shots

During one of the wedding dinner, when the couple poise for some pictures....we saw guys rushing up with their compact camera flashing away.Then next came beside them, several ladies in nice and long dresses raise up their assortment of entry,semi pros DSLR bodies ,primes and zoom lens of f2.8... some with grip and strobes etc.....can see the guys stare at the ladies bodies (camera lah) ....then their camera. :P
    On the whole, one may have the better camera then the rest... it helps, but at the end, the finish product matters. I have seen people at even using huge cams like Nikon D3 with flash and gagets attached all over,,,,,but they are using "AUTO" mode !! Heard from a saying that a world class photographer can do wonders even with a disposalble camera..

there's absolutely no reason to be shy. actually, its good to exchange pointers if you may about the gears that they are using.

anyway, once i was at the Peak in Hong Kong taking the following night shot.

Then, suddenly, i saw a flash of light!! i turned around and saw someone using a DSLR with pop-up flash!!! OMG!!!
    Nikon D300

Tagged along to my dad's beginner photography course outing last week for fun. Brought my camera and a 50mm 1.4(which is rather small and compact, nice to handle) to take some shots as well. Saw a student there using 1d3+70-200 2.8+some gitzo tripod.

Halfway during the outing, he was trying to get a shot of some flower with shallow DOF. He set the camera to f16, took a shot and realised the background was still quite clear.

"Looks like I need to make my aperture bigger"

Then he set to f22 and took the shot again.

Later he gave up and went to consult the instructor

"Thought bigger aperture means more background blur?"

Quote Originally Posted by narofx View Post
    Then, suddenly, i saw a flash of light!! i turned around and saw someone using a DSLR with pop-up flash!!! OMG!!!
    not uncommon. maybe they are learning and comparing shots with flash and without flash !

usually a pro (who shoot for profession) will not feel anything about anybody take out cameras beside them, whether big camera or small camera. as long nobody get into their way or hindering them from shooting.

those who really shoot (can shoot), what they care more is about getting the shots, they don't bother about others too.

same people may like compare cameras, but than, that is usually the only thing they can, and like to compare....

so don't feel shy, just take out your camera and shoot, the only thing wroth comparing is the photos you took, not the camera in your hands.
    Last edited by catchlights; 30th October 2009 at 09:43 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    not uncommon. maybe they are learning and comparing shots with flash and without flash !
    bwahahhaha.. see how far their pop-up flash can reach!!! bwahahaha..
    Nikon D300

Are you not going to pee if there is a guy with a bigger "gun" beside you? Its the photo not the camera that does the talk. It is not as it the guy tell you "Hei small boy, your cam is so small. Big camera FTW. You are disgracing me as a photographer with such a camera". Just post him in CS and we will find that guy photo to see if his camera can really show how good his photos are

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you can simply overcome this by.....

Buy a bigger camera,
    or get over shyness,
    or just FOCUS ON PHOTOGRAPHY
    Bigger camera? It is not the size that counts. Think of Leica M9, LX3.....

Bigger lens? Primes are smaller than their zoom equivalents.

When I stand at a public urinal, I always take a peek at the one next to me - compare my tool against his. I get an ego boost if mine is bigger.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Tagged along to my dad's beginner photography course outing last week for fun. Brought my camera and a 50mm 1.4(which is rather small and compact, nice to handle) to take some shots as well. Saw a student there using 1d3+70-200 2.8+some gitzo tripod.

Halfway during the outing, he was trying to get a shot of some flower with shallow DOF. He set the camera to f16, took a shot and realised the background was still quite clear.

"Looks like I need to make my aperture bigger"

Then he set to f22 and took the shot again.

Later he gave up and went to consult the instructor

"Thought bigger aperture means more background blur?"
    Haha... Rich fellow.... I got some rich friends who spent alot of money buying body and lenses just in the first week of their photography. In the end all photos turn out to be even worse than a PnS

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post

When I stand at a public urinal, I always take a peek at the one next to me - compare my tool against his. I get an ego boost if mine is bigger.

I hope you stop at that part. Cause some people like to feel other people's camera, it shouldn't be applied in this case

Hi, I was shooting with a P&S camera. Suddenly, a foreigner lady stood in front of me 3ft away with a big SLR and shot at at my subject. I felt very lousy. This happened at Clark Quay.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast