Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Run Windows programs on Mac?

Default Re: Run Windows programs on Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    So far it looks like Parallels is somewhat in the lead, well according to this link.

../azul123
    Ya, parallels is much better than vmware. With 2gb ram, parallels can run Windows 7 much faster than on vmware, that includes shutdown and bootup time... Learned that from a podcast comparing both products on mac OS.

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Also, if I load my iMAC with WIN XP under virtualisation does that mean I am susceptible/prone to Windows Virus? help appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Yes, you will need to protect this Windows in the same way as any stand-alone installation. The fact that it runs in a virtual environment doesn't change anything. I'm not sure with regards to network stack and firewall how MacOS handles the guest OS. On Windows (and Virtualbox) the guest OS has straight access to the network hardware which circumvents any firewall installed in the host OS. So you will need to install all kinds of standard protection (be it tools or settings) into that Windows.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Yes, you will need to protect this Windows in the same way as any stand-alone installation. The fact that it runs in a virtual environment doesn't change anything. I'm not sure with regards to network stack and firewall how MacOS handles the guest OS. On Windows (and Virtualbox) the guest OS has straight access to the network hardware which circumvents any firewall installed in the host OS. So you will need to install all kinds of standard protection (be it tools or settings) into that Windows.
    Thanks..

Windows bummer!!

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    Ya, parallels is much better than vmware. With 2gb ram, parallels can run Windows 7 much faster than on vmware, that includes shutdown and bootup time... Learned that from a podcast comparing both products on mac OS.
    I have a different experience. Before I begin, I have to say that I am a heavy user of OS virtualization because of my work.

I started using Parallel years ago before VMware Fusion was released. When VMware released Fusion 2.0, I started using it because the corporate standard is VMware everywhere. I was amazed at the stability of VMware, and the ability to run many complex and hard-hitting Windows and Windows Server applications that just crash in Parallels. However, I also note that for casual usage, Parallels is as good.

With Snow Leopard and Fusion v3, I am ever happier. I have not used Parallels v5 yet (still using older Parallels at my leisure Mac). I intend to install Fusion v3 when I have time to upgrade this Mac to SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenon View Post
    Cheap virtualisation option.
    Virtual Box.
    though getting it to work can be a pain.

You still need windows.

Also Wine..
    Wine isn't for the faint hearted... lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    Don't run windows program on Mac.

Do you know that few years back, they got a test that showed Photoshop for Mac (Ver. 7 at that time) run 70% faster on Mac compared to Photoshop for PC that (obviously) run on PC.

You are fortunate to own a Mac. Don't commit such sacrilege unless you have to (no mac version of that program).
    Photoshop 7... that was in the days of Power PC G4 (G5?) processors vs Pentium 4/Athlon 64... very ancient history... today, 's very different...

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Wine isn't for the faint hearted... lol!
    Some apps run faster in wine than natively in windows.

Just to set the records straight, in actual fact if your Windows VM (aka Virtual Machine) need not be connected to the internet, you can exercise the option to turn off the network portion of the machine and therefore would not risk in having virus attacking your virtual machine. So summing up, you MAY not require to install any anti-virus software / spyware / adware / firewall. If you need some network capability (no need to access internet) use the HOST-ONLY network function and so the application will create another network segment for connectivity purpose. And of course there's always a ROLLBACK / SNAPSHOT function by VMWare which you can properly have a "safe" copy of your VM even if you think you had crashed your virtual OS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12