Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run Windows programs on Mac?

Default Run Windows programs on Mac?

I'm a Mac newbie so need some help here on Win-Mac issue...

I have bought several softwares, eg video, photo slideshows, etc in the past that can run only on Windows. If I switch to an iMac, is it still possible for me to run them if I boot iMac up using say Win XP? If so, are there any disadvantages such as slowing down of comp?

I don't use the programs too often but yet need them. It doesn't make sense financially for me to re-purchase all the software in the Mac version.

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Run Windows programs on Mac?

You can run Windows XP/Vista via BootCamp. They will run at native speed and you won't experience any performance issue. Alternatively you can run Windows in a virtual machine using virtualisation software like Parallels, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox. They will definitely be some performance hit but is pretty usable.

If you are using Mac OS 10.5 and above, Bootcamp is already in the system, all you need is to install Windows on your iMac.

Pros to using Bootcamp is that it's free. However, you need to select at boot up whether you want it in Mac OS or Windows. If you don't need to switch from Mac to Windows frequently, this option is fine.

You can also use the other softwares like Parallels or VMWare Fusion to enable you to switch between the OS relatively quickly, however the downside is that these softwares come at a cost.

thanks....

but I'm curious. If it can be done that way, why would some people pay a few hundred $ more and get Win Office for Mac? Is it bcos they find it inconvenient to boot back and forth between Win and Mac OS?

And if I boot from Win OS, does it mean I have to install some form of anti-virus as Windows is more susceptible to virus?

And... hope it's not a silly question In theory, I can actually install PS CS4 on both Win and Mac OS in the iMac and switch between them if I need to? Cos I have some Photoshop plug-ins which can only run on Windows. And like I mentioned, I don't wish to re-purchase the plug-ins for Mac version.

thank again!

I guess most Mac users will stick to the OS X for everyday use, so might as well they get the office ver for it.

Booting into windows is just like any other windows based PC out there you will still need a antivirus for it.

As for your CS4, if you need to install into both OSes you still need to boot it individually to use it.

Blog Entries

your mac comes with iLife which about covers everything

find out more

http://www.apple.com/sg/ilife/

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    thanks....

but I'm curious. If it can be done that way, why would some people pay a few hundred $ more and get Win Office for Mac? Is it bcos they find it inconvenient to boot back and forth between Win and Mac OS?

And if I boot from Win OS, does it mean I have to install some form of anti-virus as Windows is more susceptible to virus?

And... hope it's not a silly question In theory, I can actually install PS CS4 on both Win and Mac OS in the iMac and switch between them if I need to? Cos I have some Photoshop plug-ins which can only run on Windows. And like I mentioned, I don't wish to re-purchase the plug-ins for Mac version.

thank again!
    I hardly shut down my Macbook. Just put to standby. Why waste time booting between OS? If I really need to use Windows apps, I use Parallels to boot WinXP as a vitrual machine. Runs quite well for mundane tasks although Parallels itself wasn't too good. Maybe VMWare is better.

Most applications available for Windows can be found on the Mac too. In your case, you may have a valid reason to boot between OS as I wouldn't run Photoshop in a VM.

thanks....

because you only get iLife with a 30 day trial, you'll need to buy one later on. if you're happy with iLife then go get one. it supports .Doc, .XLS and .PPT

but in my case, I decided to get Microsoft office.

you can also use openoffice which is free

yes, even if you only use a Virtual Machine like Vm Ware, an anti virus is necessary.

thank again!
    you need a Virtual Machine (VM Ware or Parallels) to switch from Mac to Windows without turning off your iMac.

Plug-ins for Mac and PC are different so you can't share them.

Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    because you only get iLife with a 30 day trial, you'll need to buy one later on. if you're happy with iLife then go get one. it supports .Doc, .XLS and .PPT

Do you mean iWorks09 or iLife09? 30days trial. I was hoping iLife09 is bundled free.

../azul123

iLife is part of what you get. iWorks is on 30 days trial....
    Flickr | 40D + CZ T* 28-70/50/80-200

Thanks guys. Ok will heed the advice. I'm thinking of getting iWorks. Think it'll be useful.

But now, my main concern are all my Windows plug-ins and other programs that could run only on Windows. Guess I'll have to install them in Win XP using the Boot Camp thingy and boot it whenever I need them. This is just a little troublesome. Seriously, I wish I never need to see Windows again!

I never did foresee I'll switch to Mac so soon. Otherwise, I'd have bought plug-ins and softwares for Mac. Now, it doesn't make sense to buy the same plug-ins for Mac...

Thanks guys. Ok will heed the advice. I'm thinking of getting iWorks. Think it'll be useful.

But now, my main concern are all my Windows plug-ins and other programs that could run only on Windows. Guess I'll have to install them in Win XP using the Boot Camp thingy and boot it whenever I need them. This is just a little troublesome. Seriously, I wish I never need to see Windows again!

I never did foresee I'll switch to Mac so soon. Otherwise, I'd have bought plug-ins and softwares for Mac. Now, it doesn't make sense to buy the same plug-ins for Mac...
    Once you use a mac, you forget about windows. Thats what happened to me. My windows desktop is just collecting dust. I love my macbk.
    Use iWorks. its just sooo much better than microsoft office. Have you taken a look at keynote?? It makes your presentations look super professional. Pages and numbers are decent too.
    =)

Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post

you can also use openoffice which is free

yes, even if you only use a Virtual Machine like Vm Ware, an anti virus is necessary.

you need a Virtual Machine (VM Ware or Parallels) to switch from Mac to Windows without turning off your iMac.

Plug-ins for Mac and PC are different so you can't share them.
    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Do you mean iWorks09 or iLife09? 30days trial. I was hoping iLife09 is bundled free.

../azul123
    sorry about that, yes iLife is free, iWork has 30 days trial

For office use can use the newoffice but wait for the snow leopard one.....

Another way is to do virtualization.

On an iMAC running Core 2 Duo processor and planning to load WIN XP which should I get? Parallels Desktop 5.0 or VMware Fusion 3? they cost about the same. Also, if I load my iMAC with WIN XP under virtualisation does that mean I am susceptible/prone to Windows Virus? help appreciated, thanks in advance.

../azul123

I'm a Mac newbie so need some help here on Win-Mac issue...

I have bought several softwares, eg video, photo slideshows, etc in the past that can run only on Windows. If I switch to an iMac, is it still possible for me to run them if I boot iMac up using say Win XP? If so, are there any disadvantages such as slowing down of comp?

I don't use the programs too often but yet need them. It doesn't make sense financially for me to re-purchase all the software in the Mac version.

Thanks for any advice.
    Don't run windows program on Mac.

Do you know that few years back, they got a test that showed Photoshop for Mac (Ver. 7 at that time) run 70% faster on Mac compared to Photoshop for PC that (obviously) run on PC.

You are fortunate to own a Mac. Don't commit such sacrilege unless you have to (no mac version of that program).
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Cheap virtualisation option.
    Virtual Box.
    though getting it to work can be a pain.

You still need windows.

Also Wine..

So far it looks like Parallels is somewhat in the lead, well according to this link.

../azul123

And more here.

../azul123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast