Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: taking care of your equipment on a overseas trip

  1. #1

    Default taking care of your equipment on a overseas trip

    Hi,
    I've jus gotten by DSLR not very long ago and I'll be going to overseas with it very soon.

    Just wanna know how you guys take care of your equipment since to bring a dry cabinet along is definitely impossible.

    shld i jus a a packet of drying agent and place it in my cam bag? I heard of small packs of thirsty hippo, where do i purchase them?

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: taking care of your equipment on a overseas trip

    Please do a search in the forum, your topic pops up once every month at least. Along the way you might about:
    - Purpose of dry cabinet
    - Climate conditions at your oversea location (compared to Singapore)
    - Thirsty Hippo with captured fluid in a camera bag / How airtight is a camera bag?
    It's not that difficult, right?
    EOS

  3. #3
    Member tony_teo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tanah Merah
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: taking care of your equipment on a overseas trip

    Quote Originally Posted by redname View Post
    Hi,
    I've jus gotten by DSLR not very long ago and I'll be going to overseas with it very soon.

    Just wanna know how you guys take care of your equipment since to bring a dry cabinet along is definitely impossible.

    shld i jus a a packet of drying agent and place it in my cam bag? I heard of small packs of thirsty hippo, where do i purchase them?
    If your trip is only for a couple of weeks, no problem. Can keep it in your camera bag. No special storage requirements needed. Fungus/mold don't grow instantaneously. Besides, you will be using your camera most of the time, right?

  4. #4

    Default Re: taking care of your equipment on a overseas trip

    Quote Originally Posted by tony_teo View Post
    If your trip is only for a couple of weeks, no problem. Can keep it in your camera bag. No special storage requirements needed. Fungus/mold don't grow instantaneously. Besides, you will be using your camera most of the time, right?
    oh ok, perhaps i'm kiasu hahaha. i'll only be away for a few days actually

  5. #5

    Default Re: taking care of your equipment on a overseas trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Please do a search in the forum, your topic pops up once every month at least. Along the way you might about:
    - Purpose of dry cabinet
    - Climate conditions at your oversea location (compared to Singapore)
    - Thirsty Hippo with captured fluid in a camera bag / How airtight is a camera bag?
    It's not that difficult, right?
    thanks

  6. #6
    Member tony_teo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tanah Merah
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: taking care of your equipment on a overseas trip

    Quote Originally Posted by redname View Post
    oh ok, perhaps i'm kiasu hahaha. i'll only be away for a few days actually
    Then you should not have a problem. I just came back from a week in Xiamen. And out of that week, I probably took out the camera on two days. Rest of the time was on business.

    My longest time away from a dry box was two years in USA and 3 years in Oz! Did not have any problems, but the low humidity in these places also helps.

    Don't spend too much time worrying. Just worry about capturing the right moments!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: taking care of your equipment on a overseas trip

    Quote Originally Posted by redname View Post
    Hi,
    I've jus gotten by DSLR not very long ago and I'll be going to overseas with it very soon.

    Just wanna know how you guys take care of your equipment since to bring a dry cabinet along is definitely impossible.

    shld i jus a a packet of drying agent and place it in my cam bag? I heard of small packs of thirsty hippo, where do i purchase them?
    if its just a few days, just a camera bag will do.
    if u are really so scared, thirsty hippo sachets will be available at NTUC. however, i really don't think its necessary.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •