Thread: Problems with Nikon View 6

Default Problems with Nikon View 6

Hi there everyone, I don't know whether it's the right place to ask for tech support, but here goes...

I tried to use Nikon View 6.1.0 to rotate some of the digital images that I have, but whenever I do so, there would be a error: "Memory running low. Exit other programs and try again."

I tried to rotate one image, but to no avail. I have 512MB ram, and from Cacheman's indication, I still have 335MB of RAM left. Reinstalling NK6 didn't help either. I tried searching for a answer, but to no avail.

EDIT: I realised that it does not rotate the images taken with a Powershot A80. Talk about brand rivalry. The strangest thing is that NK6 does not read the EXIF rotation header embedded in the pictures, whereas Nikon Editor and NC4 does.

Am I missing out on something here?
    Would greatly need your advice.
    Last edited by SNAG; 25th January 2004 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    Hi there everyone, I don't know whether it's the right place to ask for tech support, but here goes...

I tried to use Nikon View 6.1.0 to rotate some of the digital images that I have, but whenever I do so, there would be a error: "Memory running low. Exit other programs and try again."

I tried to rotate one image, but to no avail. I have 512MB ram, and from Cacheman's indication, I still have 335MB of RAM left. Reinstalling NK6 didn't help either. I tried searching for a answer, but to no avail.

Am I missing out on something here?
    Would greatly need your advice.
    Snag,

It's not that you've run out of physical RAM, it is that you've run out of resources.

This is well worth doing as it frees up heaps of resource space.

Disable any of the following:

Themes:

Desktop enhancements

Screen Beautifcation progams (Style XP, WindowBlinds, NextStep etc)

Go through your Startup Applications (those that auto start) and disable as many as you can. (eg: ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Chat etc)

Disable any virus scanning software for the duration of your session and terminate any inactive TSR's.

Set your PC up to act as a server.

Clear your Document history, disable fast find etc, clear your temp internet cache, scandisk and defrag your PC.

There's other tricks such as creating a new user and logon and restricting the number of applications that autostart and can be used etc.

Reading and implementing the stategies listed on the following pages:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre..._perf_mgmt.asp

This should stop the problem, if it doesn't then at least you've set your system up to run at peak effeciency.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian; 25th January 2004 at 02:20 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Snag,

It's not that you've run out of physical RAM, it is that you've run out of resources.

This is well worth doing as it frees up heaps of resource space.

Disable any of the following:

Themes:

Desktop enhancements

Screen Beautifcation progams (Style XP, WindowBlinds, NextStep etc)

Go through your Startup Applications (those that auto start) and disable as many as you can. (eg: ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Chat etc)

Disable any virus scanning software for the duration of your session and terminate any inactive TSR's.

Set your PC up to act as a server.

Clear your Document history, disable fast find etc, clear your temp internet cache, scandisk and defrag your PC.

There's other tricks such as creating a new user and logon and restricting the number of applications that autostart and can be used etc.

Reading and implementing the stategies listed on the following pages:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre..._perf_mgmt.asp

This should stop the problem, if it doesn't then at least you've set your system up to run at peak effeciency.

Ian
    Thanks for the heads up Ian!
    The problem is that I am already running my system as streamlined as possible (heck I even switched to "Classic" look in XP!)

But the problem still persists, and the strangest thing is that it only happens to images taken with a Canon Powershot A80.

This is really something puzzling. And as per stated, NV6 does not read the rotation flag embedded in the Powershot A80, whereas Nikon Editor and NC4 does.

Just asking, could this be a bug in NV6? Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

The problem is that I am already running my system as streamlined as possible (heck I even switched to "Classic" look in XP!)

But the problem still persists, and the strangest thing is that it only happens to images taken with a Canon Powershot A80.

This is really something puzzling. And as per stated, NV6 does not read the rotation flag embedded in the Powershot A80, whereas Nikon Editor and NC4 does.

Just asking, could this be a bug in NV6? Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
    Hi SNAG,

I have installed the nikon view 6.1 too, I tried to read the EXIF data of SONY DSC-F828 and Fujifilm A201's shots, they did not have any problem and is able to rotate too.

However, when I tried to rotate images from my friend's Canon IXUS 400, they too display "memory running low. Exit other programs and tried again" messages.

I believe the Nikon Browser/View may have problems with images from Canon cameras, as I have rotated and edited NEF files which are much larger than the 4MP IXUS 400, without encountering memory running low messages.
    (512Mb RAM too)

However, the Canon's images are able to rotate without any problem with the Nikon Capture 4.

Maybe a bug in Nikon View 6.1, (P.S I think the earlier 6.0 did not have this problem)

It sounds like a bug, then again it could be deliberate
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Deregistered

Anybody managed to get the slideshow function to run under View 6.1?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Anybody managed to get the slideshow function to run under View 6.1?
    Yeap, I've managed to get it to work, but that's on cameras taken with a Nikonl... Not sure about a Canon though

Deregistered

Yeah I'm using a Nikon (read my siggy...)

But the computer will complain "Some files are missing" and refuse to start the slideshow. Hmmm.

But the computer will complain "Some files are missing" and refuse to start the slideshow. Hmmm.
    Here's something that you can try out...

Uninstall and then run the "regcleaner" in the "Utilities" folder. Restart and reinstall....

You tried reinstalling the program?

Anyhow I'm using a mac and don't have any of the problems that were mentioned. However, how do u change the settign fro the slideshow? I want to change the time interval between slides. Anyone knows how to do this?