Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DryBox: Recommendations?

Originally posted by firefox13
    argh jia lat i just bought the one on offer from Carrefour! how bad issit? anything to watch out for? i can still return the pruchase if it's really not worth it...

anyone else used Am-Pro before? good/bad experience? i thought for that price ($88), it was a pretty good buy.
    You can return things you bought from Carrefour if you are not satisfied with it? I thought you can only return if faulty...
    DR KOH KHO KING

You know.... if it fails to work liao... then just use it as a big air tight box... dump in some silica~

Originally posted by Kho King
    You can return things you bought from Carrefour if you are not satisfied with it? I thought you can only return if faulty...
    no lah Carrefour got this 'satisfaction guaranteed' policy... if not happy with pruchase, can return within 7 days (i think... not sure how long they give you). goods must be in good order of course.

e.g. i was paying for my dry cabinet when i saw this lady returning a PC mouse she bought coupla days ago. so still got chance if anything is faulty, just keep your receipt.

no lah Carrefour got this 'satisfaction guaranteed' policy... if not happy with pruchase, can return within 7 days (i think... not sure how long they give you). goods must be in good order of course.
    Like that I buy many products and try for 6 days go return back.

e.g. i was paying for my dry cabinet when i saw this lady returning a PC mouse she bought coupla days ago. so still got chance if anything is faulty, just keep your receipt.
    Haha...I wonder if Carrefour in Johor also have this return policy...didn't notice though...
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by rochkoh
    Just came back from Tangs, here are some Dry Boxes on sale there: (Value Dry Boxes - Made in Singapore)

Model: VDB-550
    Capactity: 43L
    Size: 45(H) X 37(D) X (40W)
    RH range: 25% - 60%
    Shelves: 1
    Power: 220V
    Warrenty: 5 years on drying unit
    Price: $169

BUY! BUY! BUY!!
    sorry newbie intrusion...

what a drybox for ah?

and what does the 5 years on drying unit means?
    after 5 years cannot use?
    i read a link b4 on how to make ur own dry box..
    by putting those.. silica gel.. inside it..
    can put those i took from the vitamin bottle or not?
    i go collect alot first...

Originally posted by Flare
    You know.... if it fails to work liao... then just use it as a big air tight box... dump in some silica~
    That will be an expensive air-tight box powered by silica gel....

Originally posted by nicekit
    sorry newbie intrusion...

what a drybox for ah?

and what does the 5 years on drying unit means?
    after 5 years cannot use?
    i read a link b4 on how to make ur own dry box..
    by putting those.. silica gel.. inside it..
    can put those i took from the vitamin bottle or not?
    i go collect alot first...
    well let's see if i can enlighten you. a drybox (as the name inplies) is a box that keeps the contents dry (i.e. your expensive camera and lens). high humidity will cos fungus to grow on glass elements such as lens and cameras, thus the need to protect them.

yes you can make your own drybox. all you need is a airtight box (probably with rubber or silicon seals) and silica gel. yes you can use the ones from your vitamin bottle but trust me, that's not enough. you need helluva lot more. you can buy a big bottle for about $6-7 from any camera shop.

the brudders here are talking about dry cabinets. those are specialized little cupboards which are kinda like fridges, but instead of keeping stuff cold, they keep things dry. it operates with a de-humidifier unit inside the cabinet which sucks up all the moisture. the "5 years on drying unit" simply means that the dehumidifer is under warranty for 5 years, as it runs on electricity.

hope that makes things a bit clearer...

Thumbs up

Good Explaination, firefox13

well let's see if i can enlighten you. a drybox (as the name inplies) is a box that keeps the contents dry (i.e. your expensive camera and lens). high humidity will cos fungus to grow on glass elements such as lens and cameras, thus the need to protect them.

yes you can make your own drybox. all you need is a airtight box (probably with rubber or silicon seals) and silica gel. yes you can use the ones from your vitamin bottle but trust me, that's not enough. you need helluva lot more. you can buy a big bottle for about $6-7 from any camera shop.

the brudders here are talking about dry cabinets. those are specialized little cupboards which are kinda like fridges, but instead of keeping stuff cold, they keep things dry. it operates with a de-humidifier unit inside the cabinet which sucks up all the moisture. the "5 years on drying unit" simply means that the dehumidifer is under warranty for 5 years, as it runs on electricity.

hope that makes things a bit clearer...
    *making the ooooo sound*

about the fungus thingy..
    if let say the lens kanna fungus ...
    what can we do about it?
    can we dissemble the whole thing and clean it or soemthing?
    i always told NEVER touch the lens with ANYTHING...

Kit

Originally posted by nicekit

*making the ooooo sound*

about the fungus thingy..
    if let say the lens kanna fungus ...
    what can we do about it?
    can we dissemble the whole thing and clean it or soemthing?
    i always told NEVER touch the lens with ANYTHING...

Kit
    Send to shop or the factory for cleaning. Don't do it yourself if you don't know what you are doing...
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by Kho King

Send to shop or the factory for cleaning. Don't do it yourself if you don't know what you are doing...
    ooo if not fungus..
    if like finger print ?

what should i use?

or just ignore it.. then next time if i pass by the shop i send in ask for a clean up?

Kit

if it's fingerprints, it's on the outside. for me i usually use a anti-static cleaning cloth (which i bought from a camera shop also) and very VERY gently wipe it. just be very careful with it and make sure the cloth is not rough otherwise u might accidentally scratch it.

fungus is a different matter altogether cos they grow on the inside and you can't get to it with a cloth. even if you THINK you know what u're doing, DON'T try opening up the lens yourself. you'll put all the lens out of alignment and ruin the whole thing. then it'll cost you more to fix the whole thing. always let the experts do it, unless u're an expert yourself.

anyway it's good practice to always use a filter on all your lens. they don't cost much, protect the exposed glass elements of the lens and you can always replace them easily. just a normal UV or skylight filter will do.

just my 2 cents again.

If you search the achieves, you should be able to find posts regarding "how to clean a lens...". No need to send to shop if you can clean it externally without needed to open it.
    DR KOH KHO KING

quick question - what's a normal level of humidity to maintain for a dry cabinet? i just got a new one and i'm letting it run for a while before i dump any of my gear in. i've been told something between 25-45 units is good...

any comments? thanks in advance...

Humility levels between 35 to 40% will be fine. If it's too dry, the lubricants on your lenses' aperature blades might dry up prematurely. Also remember not to put in leather products (ie. body strap, camera case etc.) in the cabinet cos leather cracks if it's too dry.

I have still yet to buy my dry cabinet..... like to go for a 60L minimum....... any lobang guys?

Originally posted by mervlam
    I have still yet to buy my dry cabinet..... like to go for a 60L minimum....... any lobang guys?
    thanks merv-man.

a 60L dry cabinet? wah you must have some serious equipment to want something so big. probably looking in the range of $260+++ type... not much lobang around for that kinda size cos a bit too 'niche' and high-end for common use.

quick question - what's a normal level of humidity to maintain for a dry cabinet? i just got a new one and i'm letting it run for a while before i dump any of my gear in. i've been told something between 25-45 units is good...

any comments? thanks in advance...
    For photographic equipment, the recommended RH is 45~55%. You can get the chart for different type of stuff to be stored in your drybox at different RH.
    DR KOH KHO KING

mervlam,

Them Value Dry Boxes at Tangs are 78-80L and going for $269-$299. Seems pretty good Value to me.

thanks merv-man.

a 60L dry cabinet? wah you must have some serious equipment to want something so big. probably looking in the range of $260+++ type... not much lobang around for that kinda size cos a bit too 'niche' and high-end for common use.

hmmmmm............ after exams go look look

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast