Thread: Harlow all, newbie here and needs some help with digital prints

Default Harlow all, newbie here and needs some help with digital prints

Hi, everyone, as I've bought a new digicam, I was wondering if I can just simply send my photos in my memory card to those digital processing shops for developing my photos w/o any further needs of requiring my own settings or adjustments of any kind??? Becos' I would just like to develop the those photos that are captured as it is viewed on my digital camera's LCD viewer and those desired were stored and not deleted, therefore, since I have a 3 Megapixels camera, and the settings in the camera are at it's highest resolutions etc, so if I prefer to prints 4R, will just simply pass over my stored pictures will get my pictures developed as what I see on my LCD viewer? This is something new to me & hopes you guys don't laugh at my ignorance and hopes can gather some info before I look too blur when sending the memory to the shop, Thank you very much, kong xi fa chai.

actually the answer's quite deep

Do a search in the forum, quite some discussions on these.

Hope it helpz

can just tell me whether I can simply give them my memory card & thats all it required to process & deveope my photos stored within? or I have to do manual adjustment with software then it can be develope?

Depending on how high your expectations are. Its more or less a trial and error process which is why its very important that you go for the reputable labs to ensure good quality prints and consistency. Once you find a lab that you like, stick with it. Also, don't pin your hopes that the prints will come out like what you see on your LCD, chances are they won't and the camera's LCD is possibly the worst thing you can use to check your exposure and tones.

ok, thanks so you mean if I d/l it to my PC and view with the camera accompanying s/w, then if the photo is w/o problems and desired, then I upload it back to my camera's memory card which then can be send for developing is that right?

Hi mongoose,

First of all, welcome to Clubsnap.

For your question, as Kit had mentioned, a good lab will always perform color and tonal correction for your prints, so for these labs, you can just pass your memory card to them and they will try their best to get the best prints for you (provided they can print digital in the first place, of course). It will however be unlikely that the prints will look exactly like what you have seen in your viewfinder, and they can look better or worse.

If the labs you have choosen don't do correction (most of the time these labs are cheaper since they are saving the labour), then you can do the correction yourself. But this is not recommended as you will not only need to calibrate your monitor to the profile of the printing machine, but also need to be skillful enough to do it right. Once the corrections are done, you can burn them into a CD and bring it to the lab for printing.

Why not go down to some of the Fuji FDI labs and ask them if they do manual correction, and give them a try. You can find a list of labs in this thread.

Good luck and hope it helps.
    Last edited by ziploc; 24th January 2004 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    ok, thanks so you mean if I d/l it to my PC and view with the camera accompanying s/w, then if the photo is w/o problems and desired, then I upload it back to my camera's memory card which then can be send for developing is that right?
    There will still be a certain degree of differences when you compare prints from labs and whatever shows up on your monitor. The profile is different and depending on your luck, it could be neglectable or it could go horribly wrong.

What I did was run some test shots with the labs I'm comfortable with and make some adjustments on subsequent photos. That's why a consistant lab is so important. Actually, sometimes I do request no corrections done and the results I get is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    There will still be a certain degree of differences when you compare prints from labs and whatever shows up on your monitor. The profile is different and depending on your luck, it could be neglectable or it could go horribly wrong.

What I did was run some test shots with the labs I'm comfortable with and make some adjustments on subsequent photos. That's why a consistant lab is so important. Actually, sometimes I do request no corrections done and the results I get is quite good.

but i see the pictures has no difference with my LCD viewer and on my LCD monitor, which is why I just d/l it back to the memory card for developing,

Then congrats!! You've just found the perfect LCD!!!

is it a compliment or scarcsim? between looking into my cam lcd viewer, and the image d/l to my pc's LCD monitor, I really see not much difference, maybe, for you guys professional might noticed or demands higher reproduction, as my title stated, I'm just a newbie who recently got my digicam, & shot a few pictures & decided to develop, so, hopefully, i was wondering whether I need to crop or resize or anything before I simply send the picture d/l back to the memory card for developing onto prints. thanks for helping.

is it a compliment or scarcsim? between looking into my cam lcd viewer, and the image d/l to my pc's LCD monitor, I really see not much difference, maybe, for you guys professional might noticed or demands higher reproduction, as my title stated, I'm just a newbie who recently got my digicam, & shot a few pictures & decided to develop, so, hopefully, i was wondering whether I need to crop or resize or anything before I simply send the picture d/l back to the memory card for developing onto prints. thanks for helping.
    To tell you the truth, of all the digicams I've handled, none gave me an accurate preview of the final output. If you think yours did, then good on you. I'm only trying to help. Whether its compliment or scarcasm; I leave it to your own interpretation, which of course doesn't bother me a bit no matter how you chosed to look at it.

but i see the pictures has no difference with my LCD viewer and on my LCD monitor, which is why I just d/l it back to the memory card for developing,
    hmmm....... basically because your digicam's LCD is too small to see much of a difference? Maybe the difference will be more obvious if you blew up the picture on your PC?

Different processing labs will have different calibrations too so lab hopping warrants different results.

Your software workspace also plays a part in the colour you see on the monitor. Unless your monitor and printer are perfectly calibrated, its almost impossible to get the SAME colour as you see.

These are the reasons why people choose to develop just one or two prints from a lab to see the quality before they pass them a ton of prints to process.

But then if you're not the picky type, don't mind much about cropping and colour, just give them the media and tell them to do everything for you