Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entry Level DSLR?

Default Re: Entry Level DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by RezzShaz View Post
    Nikon D5000... not that bad for newcomer...
    I thought Nikon D3k and D5k lens need to buy those AF-C type which cost more bcause there is no in body AF motor? Does that means the lens choice also limited?

I heard someone saying D3k has not Bracketing meter also. Better check before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppie View Post
    I thought Nikon D3k and D5k lens need to buy those AF-C type which cost more bcause there is no in body AF motor? Does that means the lens choice also limited?
    You mean AF-S, Nikon's designation for lenses with the Silent Wave Motor (SWM).

While it may be true (and indeed logical) that the inclusion of the SWM will increase costs and hence, selling price, there are some pretty decent and cheap AF-S lenses too. For example, here's a short list of AF-S lenses that costs less than S$500:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
    AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

They are all DX lenses, but the D3000 & D5000 are both DX cameras.

If I wanna get a Nikon, I will get a d90 and above, so that I won't face the lenses selection limitation of the d3000 and d5000. The reason Nikon is appealing is cos of the large lenses catalog. But what's the point of having so many lenses if the camera cannot use?

And yes the d3000 can't do bracketing. Not sure why would Nikon wanna leave that function out...probably a marketing strategy, so that in future d3000 users can "upgrade" to d5000

Buy the d90, so that u won't hv to worry about lenses compatibility.
    Last edited by android17; 29th October 2009 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    If I wanna get a Nikon, I will get a d90 and above, so that I won't face the lenses selection limitation of the d3000 and d5000. The reason Nikon is appealing is cos of the large lenses catalog. But what's the point of having so many lenses if the camera cannot use?

And yes the d3000 can't do bracketing. Not sure why would Nikon wanna leave that function out...probably a marketing strategy, so that in future d3000 users can "upgrade" to d5000

Buy the d90, so that u won't hv to worry about lenses compatibility.
    i so agree to you, the D90 is not very much expensive from a Canon 500D and it's much much better. The high iso performance is fantastic!

P.S. I not a nikon user buy my colleauges are I use a cheapo entry level Sony A330 hehe....... but honestly. let me choose a cam at Sub 1k mark, i will still take the Alpha over 1000D or D3000. If i have 1.2k to spare, i will get the 500D, if i have 1.4k to spare, i get the D90 and if i have 1.6k to spare, i get the 50D. Ok it's never ending! hahaha
    Last edited by hoppie; 30th October 2009 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    You mean AF-S, Nikon's designation for lenses with the Silent Wave Motor (SWM).

While it may be true (and indeed logical) that the inclusion of the SWM will increase costs and hence, selling price, there are some pretty decent and cheap AF-S lenses too. For example, here's a short list of AF-S lenses that costs less than S$500:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
    AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

They are all DX lenses, but the D3000 & D5000 are both DX cameras.
    Not a Nikon user.
    Question : Is manual focus possible for all lenses on a Nikon body w/o drive motor?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12