Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on iMac for photoshop

Default Re: Need advice on iMac for photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by CKCHNG View Post
    Why ? You mean price ? I think I will trust the Apple store more than the simlim.
    Yep, their reference is to the price of ram from apple. Even people at epicentre will recommend going and getting your own ram as it's much more cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    So does anyone know the diff in performance, with respect to processing high res images:

1. Core 2 Dro with 8GB RAM vs Quad Core with 4GM RAM
    2. i5 vs i7 processor
    3. 4GB vs 8GB RAM

Can't find a definitive answer from internet. Some even suggest it may not necessarily be noticeable going from 4GB to 8GB.

Thanks.
    quadcore will generally be faster. most programs now are multithreaded.
    4gb to 8gb ram no noticable difference. go and search online.
    i7 FTW. cache is important but i think for the price i5 is more worth it.

Thanks everyone, just the info I finally need!

mwell, you're from England?
    Yippe, good thing I didn't upgrade to 8GB RAM. Didn't really know CS4 can only utilize 4GB RAM max. There are all sorts of people out there advising to upgrade to 8GB or max out the RAM capacity!

And thanks guys, for telling me not to buy RAM from Apple directly. I didn't know Mac uses the same kind of RAM as PC. Yeah, when I saw the prices of the RAMs they are selling, I thought, they were simply crazy. Even their hard disk upgrade is crazy. For 1TB more, we have to pay like S$350 more?!!

mynameisgreg: Thanks, yes, I read from somewhere on the net that going from 4GB to 8GB has diminished returns. That was what confused me. Cos some other guys recommended going for higher RAMs to improve performance.

So think I might just stick with i5 with 4GB RAM. Sounds good. Thanks once again guys!

Quote Originally Posted by CKCHNG View Post
    Why ? You mean price ? I think I will trust the Apple store more than the simlim.
    Apple Store's pricing for RAM is way too high in my opinion. Just check the specs and you can go shopping in SLS for the more reputable brands if you are worried. It will still be lower than what Apple Store will charge you. I have been using 3rd party RAMs for all my Macs and I have no problems whatsoever.
    5D II | BG-E6 | 17-40mm f4L | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 550EX

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Yep, their reference is to the price of ram from apple. Even people at epicentre will recommend going and getting your own ram as it's much more cost effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by mercuryaw View Post
    Apple Store's pricing for RAM is way too high in my opinion. Just check the specs and you can go shopping in SLS for the more reputable brands if you are worried. It will still be lower than what Apple Store will charge you. I have been using 3rd party RAMs for all my Macs and I have no problems whatsoever.
    Thanks. I was thinking to upgrade mine too. As I'm not a Mac guru, I will check with Apple store first for the right model then head to SLS to get it.

Thanks to TS. This thread comes at the right time for me.

Thinkg of the new ima 27inch......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12