Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on iMac for photoshop

Default Need advice on iMac for photoshop

Hi All,

Would the newly launched based model iMac 21.5 " be good enough to run Photoshop4?
    The price is definitely attractive for an upgrade. Editing photos will only be around 30-40% of my usage of the iMac, the rest of the time would be simply word processing and surfing. However I don't want to come a point when I'm doing editing to find that the iMac is sorely lacking in poweringCS4.

Please advise.

Thanks

Default Re: Need advice on iMac for photoshop

My iMac G5 can do CS4. It is 5 years old. I do not think that you will into speed problems anytime soon. I would be more worried about screen size and quality. Did they build high quality panels into both versions?

Thanks. I'm not sure if it's considered high quality but i think personally it's pretty nice.

I am using the 1st generation of aluminum 20-inch iMac and Photoshop 4 runs fine on Leopard (not even Snow Leopard). Just make sure you upgrade the ram to 4GB after the purchase.

As for the screen, yes, they are using the "high quality" ones. Both iMac screen sizes now come with IPS screen.

Edit: Oh wait, the new iMac comes with 4GB already... in that case, you should upgrade to 8GB after purchase
    Last edited by VB2009; 28th October 2009 at 10:48 PM.

if i'm nt wrong, the new iMac 21inch comes with intel core 2 duo 3ghz and 4gb ram. it should be good for photoshop, as my company is considering it as an upgrade to replace our old G4 systems.

For processing hundreds of high resolution RAW files

Which is better actually...

to get the Core 2 Duo and upgrade the RAMs to 8GB, or get the latest Quad Core and stick with 4GB RAMs?

actually to get the quad core with 8gb is better...

i think you answered your own question david.. because you are processing, upgrade the processor first. 4gb of ram is sufficient you will not notice the improvements if you upgrade it.

Actually was thinking of asking what David had asked... so comparing Core2 Duo with 8G RAM vs a i7 with 4G RAM which is better for post-process high resolution RAW files?

../azul123

thanks for the advice. I think i will just go for the 21.5 inch imac. seems pretty good enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    For processing hundreds of high resolution RAW files

Which is better actually...

to get the Core 2 Duo and upgrade the RAMs to 8GB, or get the latest Quad Core and stick with 4GB RAMs?
    get another computer and do it on both, twice as fast

Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha View Post
    Hi All,

Would the newly launched based model iMac 21.5 " be good enough to run Photoshop4?
    The price is definitely attractive for an upgrade. Editing photos will only be around 30-40% of my usage of the iMac, the rest of the time would be simply word processing and surfing. However I don't want to come a point when I'm doing editing to find that the iMac is sorely lacking in poweringCS4.

Please advise.

Thanks
    It is very simple, if you want to do CS4 for hobby/amateur photography then the new iMac will suffice, in fact more than good enough. Do note that, there is a i7 Nehalem Quad Core iMac 27" which is a powerful beast for any home editing. For professional editing and CS work, go with the Mac Pro.

I've been reading on the internet and it just gets more confusing.

there's a thread that says even if you put 8GB you might not see significant improvement in time as far as image processing is concerned. Maybe a little, but dimished returns.

I think it's really hard to quantify. It depends on how many RAW files you have, the kinds of editing done, resolution of images, etc. No one can say, ok Core 2 duo, 2GB, it takes x amount of time to process. Quad core, 4 GB, y amount of time. If only they can classify like this so it's easier for us consumers.

I've decided to go with the best iMac I can afford and not upgrade until next time when it is necessary. Cos Mac RAMs and processors are not so cheap, costing a few hundred dollars. And we might not appreciate the difference in speed, even if there's any improvement.

Of course, we can come up with all sorts of impractical advice to get the best processing speed: Go get Quad Core, change to i7 processor, get up to 16GB RAM (whoa!), buy 3 iMacs and put around the house... oh wait, get the Mac Pro instead, etc. But unless you're darn rich.... and like I said, I'm not sure if the amount of $ spend is on par with the improved performance you'll get.

I think it's safe to say if we get the latest iMac, it should be capable of processing quickly large RAW files.

Word. But sticking to the rational optimal choice is not that easy when it comes to gadgets like this.

I personally really enjoy the big screen, but iMacs have never been famous for their processing power. All you need to know is that this thing is worth a s**tload of money to you. I would not say that the same type of editing could not be done on a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Of course, we can come up with all sorts of impractical advice to get the best processing speed: Go get Quad Core, change to i7 processor, get up to 16GB RAM (whoa!), buy 3 iMacs and put around the house... oh wait, get the Mac Pro instead, etc. But unless you're darn rich.... and like I said, I'm not sure if the amount of $ spend is on par with the improved performance you'll get.

I think it's safe to say if we get the latest iMac, it should be capable of processing quickly large RAW files.
    As I mentioned, it depend on what you usage is like and your budget. There is a significant difference in performance between my Mac Pro and iMac. If you want to find out go run some benchmark test. End of the day, what is your usage? Amateur, low budget just go get an iMac. Heavy duty CS work with productivity constraint, a Mac Pro is a definite. It is that simple.

If you want power at lower cost then go assemble a i7 with max out RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha View Post
    Hi All,

Please advise.

Thanks

I know of someone who is selling his 2months old 24inch IMac with 4 gig ram at a good price. If you're interested, do pm me your number. Cheers..

So does anyone know the diff in performance, with respect to processing high res images:

1. Core 2 Dro with 8GB RAM vs Quad Core with 4GM RAM
    2. i5 vs i7 processor
    3. 4GB vs 8GB RAM

Can't find a definitive answer from internet. Some even suggest it may not necessarily be noticeable going from 4GB to 8GB.

Thanks.

I believe for some work, quadcore may, in fact, be slower than dualcore.
    It depends on the design of the software.
    Some software are designed as a single/dual thread process, then quadcore does not have advantage.
    I am not sure if that applies to photoshop.

That is the reason why the new MacPro which features 16 cores(4 quad) is SLOWER than the previous 8 core(4 dual core) on many(if not most) of the benchmarks because the older dual core model has higher clock speed per core.

Really, quadcore doesn't mean it's automatically faster, as what intel is trying to convince you. It really depends.

As for your question, I feel that maxing out RAM is still the cheapest way to boost performance. But for Mac, their ram is freakin' expensive, so I am not too sure.
    Anyway, if photoshop is your main consideration, why not windows?

Samsung produces nice 30 inch screen.

P.S: The windows-crash-more thing doesn't seem to hold true. I guess it is true in absolute terms. Come'on there are about 9-11 times more windows computer than mac, even if windows is 10 time more stable, it will still crash the same no. of times right? Dont be affected by marketing.
    Last edited by whattokingu; 30th October 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Er, for Mac, you can buy your RAM at Sim Lim. They use the same RAM as PCs. Don't buy from the Apple Store (online) or from those shops specializing on Apple products.

Quote Originally Posted by VB2009 View Post
    Er, for Mac, you can buy your RAM at Sim Lim. They use the same RAM as PCs. Don't buy from the Apple Store (online) or from those shops specializing on Apple products.
    Why ? You mean price ? I think I will trust the Apple store more than the simlim.

o.k as far as photoshop cs4 is concerned it is limed in th

As far as RAM is concerned Photoshop CS4 can only make use of 4GB's as it is constrained by being a 32bit application. Wait for CS5 (full 64bit support) to up your RAM.

For screen size, as a general rule bigger is better on a desktop you will not regret those extra pixel's and personally I think 1080p on a 21.5 inch screen is a little dense you may find you're self leaning to close to the screen.

Now the processor I don't think it makes much financial sense these days to spend the kind of money apple wants for a Core2Duo set-up you will feel the benefits of going Quad with grand central dispatch in SL more so as time goes by.

I hope this is helpful if you have any more queries I will be keeping and eye on this thread of a about a week. Have fun apple shopping I know I will come January.

^^Hooray for colonial England

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast