Thread: SDHC card "write-protected"

Default SDHC card "write-protected"

hi guys,

i was doing the usual photo transfer to my lappie after a shoot when after i slot back the SDHC card into camera, screen indicates 'card is write-protected'.

however, i didn't set any password prior. will be able to solve the problem by formatting the card?
    Canon 1000D, 17-55mm kit lens, 50mm F1.8, 55-250mm IS

Default Re: SDHC card "write-protected"

check your sd card, there is a knob there.

Blog Entries

it is more of a switch

yup check the small switch at the side of ur SD card, might have accidentally push it to the "lock" position while inserting....

Quote Originally Posted by tunge View Post
    yup check the small switch at the side of ur SD card, might have accidentally push it to the "lock" position while inserting....
    Or the thing might have came off. I have one brand new Sandisk Extreme III SD disk that has a missing switch. When I tried to use it, it was write-protected. At the end has to go to exchange for another one.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Or the thing might have came off. I have one brand new Sandisk Extreme III SD disk that has a missing switch. When I tried to use it, it was write-protected. At the end has to go to exchange for another one.
    actually the swich on the SD card is not really a on/off switch for the SD card, rather it is just to trigger a catch in the SD card slot on ur camera. don't think i explained well, but if ur "switch" drop off, u just need to paste a tape over the hole n the SD card will work as normal (unlock), without the tape, with the hole exposed = lock mode.

oops, switch yes.

anyways, what tunge says is right, it works with the reader, rather than the card, i.e. the card does not have some magic built in function to tell the computer that it has been locked. the reader merely detects if there is something there, if there is nothing, it will refuse to read. so that is why tape works.

heh, problem solved.

thanks for the advice above guys! although small problem, but so much more to know,
    Canon 1000D, 17-55mm kit lens, 50mm F1.8, 55-250mm IS