Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling with tripods

Default Re: Traveling with tripods

I always check-in the tripod. The ball head is removed and put in its own padded bag. Then I place that and the tripod in a tripod bag. And then the tripod bag in the check-in luggage.

Indeed, I think the planning should start from the moment when one buys a tripod. Personal opinion: always consider carbon fibre for DSLR. It is light and tough. Besides the expensive Gitzo, there are many cheaper brands. I value the saving of every gram of weight.

Please don't bother carrying it ( tripod) as hand luggage coz it's tough n almost as good as indestructable unless it's the cheap plastic kind.
    Just wrap clothes around them n chuck into the main bag.For people who carry tripods regularly on overseas trip,invest in those carbon fibre kind like Gitzo or the equivalent.

I usually carry-on my tripod on the plane and there was only one time I had a little problem at Narita airport security during transit. They said that my tripod was too long (>60cm) and I had to remove my ballhead to make it less than 60cm before I was allowed pass the security.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    i lugged it behind my lowerpro backpack...so far they never make any big deal about it...only ask what is it...then i say tripod...they see my camera stuff...then okie liao
    I was thinkning of doing the same too. Glad to know it can go through without any big deal.

Well, here's my experience.

Few days before departing Singapore, I called up Changi Airport to ask if my tripod (Manfrotto 190XPROB with 486RC2 head) could be hand-carried, so they said yes no problem. However when we were departing from Narita, we were stopped while boarding the plane. So, it had to be check in. The plane was then delayed, I am not sure if it's due to my tripod though.

I have a gitzo carbon fiber tripod. Usually I'll just separate the ball head from the tripod and put them into my check-in luggage.

I hand carry just the camera bag and other essentials onto the plane.

Shared my experience.

For my recent Oct China travel, I strapped my tripod(without tripod cover) onto my camera bag and carry onboard plane. Tripod head is removed beforehand. I only faced 1 instance where on a domestic flight, the flight stewardess told me to remove from strapped onto backpack and put it under the seat. Reason being she said cannot fit into overhead compartment. But on a similar return domestic flight, I get no such instruction.

On my earlier travel in 2006, I check-in with check-in luggage. I think then I need not use tripod anytime sooner till I can get it from check-in luggage in hotel.

I had problems with my tripod in Vietnam so I had to check it in...Otherwise, no problems so far.

Best to check in. Some airports allow and some dont.. worse still when the ground staff dont know the policy and give misleading info. Imagine the being stopped at the gate but ur baggages have been checked in. U will then have to check in a bare tripod unless you have another bag to cover it and check in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12