Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Tips for Bringing Camera for Winter Holidays

Default Re: 3 Tips for Bringing Camera for Winter Holidays

hey guys..

sorry but i cant help to notice that all this tips are for cameras, batteries and lenses.

what about flash.
    external flash like the 580ex, sb900, fl50r and not the pop up.
    just to clearify.

is there anything that people should take note on say using such external flash during winter / cold weather ??

Keep your batteries warm and the flash will take care of itself.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by kkenji View Post

is there anything that people should take note on say using such external flash during winter / cold weather ??
    use the flash to keep u warm? hahah. keep it strobing once in a while when u feel cold.

Blog Entries

cut a couple of little holes or sew on a small leather patch or even a little shirt button on the shooting finger and thumb of glove for better control of the camera buttons without need to take off your gloves

it gets extremely painful on my hands after a few mins exposure to freezing tempratures.... and it takes a long time to warm them up again or get any feeling back

i think its the body's way of reacting and protecting itself by cutting down blood flow to parts which are losing heat.......... trust me its extremely painful after just a few mins

shooting with bare hands in winter is ok once or twice a day......... BUT if you're going to be shooting all day for a few days....... its really no fun
    Last edited by ed9119; 28th November 2009 at 12:25 PM.

Default Re: Cold weather & skiing tips

Just bringing this up for those who wish to take pictures whilst skiing.

Unless you are a pro, which I think most of us are not, then I suggest leaving that DSLR at the resort...
    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Ok, instead of multiple replies in many thread, will respond to the other threads Here so it is easier to find in future.

- skiing - (actually I think it was answered before)

EDIT - I was right!
    The previous thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ghlight=skiing

If you are a pro and seldom fall, then you may wish to consider bringing all that gear including a DSLR. What is a pro?

Someone who has clocked more than 100 hours and is capable of doing BLACK slopes with ease. If you are still falling regularly, or do not know what is a Black slope, then you are not a proficient skier yet

FYI I have clocked weeks on the slopes but I refrain from doing beyond what I am comfortable with.

I have also learnt to ski light...

Everyone falls, and so you need to be able to carry that pack and ski, and unless you are used to it, it will unsettle your weight.

If you fall on your pack and crushe the lens... well...

And please DO NOT stop in the middle of the slope!!! If you are on the slope, there could be a lot of people behind you going at high speeds and they will knock into you.

It is not only annoying but dangerous to have people taking out their cameras on such slopes.

Do it on the bunny slopes or before you ski.

If you take it out on a ski lift, make sure you wear your strap and are able to keep it before getting off the ski. Otherwise you will need all your hands to get off and you Will Fall.

Hence a pocket camera is more suitable unless you don't ski. Combining the two for a Singaporean who is not a regular on the slopes is tough.

Cheers
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12