Thread: Picking a digital camera?

Question Picking a digital camera?

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the whole digital camera technology. Right now I'm doing some research on a new digital camera in the near future.

Basically I'm looking something no less than 3MP. Probably end up viewing most pics on computers but I may print out the nice pics. My impression is that more MP the sharper the image? A friend of mine has a 2MP camera and you can see the lack of quality in his pics esp with scenery shots.

I'm a bit interested in photography, so's my bro, so looking for a digital camera that can do a little bit of advanced stuff.

ie
    low light environment
    long/double exposure

Here are three that look alright from Futureshop.... any thoughts on them?

Olympus D-565 4.0MP Digital Zoom Camera

Olympus Stylus 400 4MP Digital Camera

Sony DSC-P92 5MP Digital Camera

Any idea why the S400 is more expensive than D565? I looked at the specs and I don't see much difference between the two.

Deregistered

More MP doesn't equalise to sharper image.

Construction of the lens and the sensor plays a part as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawcan
    Hi,

I'm pretty new to the whole digital camera technology. Right now I'm doing some research on a new digital camera in the near future.

Basically I'm looking something no less than 3MP. Probably end up viewing most pics on computers but I may print out the nice pics. My impression is that more MP the sharper the image? A friend of mine has a 2MP camera and you can see the lack of quality in his pics esp with scenery shots.

I'm a bit interested in photography, so's my bro, so looking for a digital camera that can do a little bit of advanced stuff.

ie
    low light environment
    long/double exposure

Here are three that look alright from Futureshop.... any thoughts on them?

Olympus D-565 4.0MP Digital Zoom Camera

Olympus Stylus 400 4MP Digital Camera

Sony DSC-P92 5MP Digital Camera

Any idea why the S400 is more expensive than D565? I looked at the specs and I don't see much difference between the two.

Hi,

You may want to add more detail like, what you gona shoot with the "new camera" here so that others may help to answer your questions better.
    Also other detail like, Prices, size, weight etc if you can.

Any way, IMO you may advise your friend to use panorama mode to shoot scenery shots for a 2MP to have better detail.

Hi thanx for the reply.

I've also looked at Canon's A70 and A80 and they both look pretty good.

Basically I plan to use the camera to take regular pictures, but also some scenery and macro pictures (like those who post in the gallery). I guess I'm looking for manual controls on the camera b/c you get more controls over your pics.

Out of all the 5 I have picked which one would be the best choice?

the a70 and a80 are really quite decent camera.

your friend 2MP pic did not look too good to you? That may not be the end of the story... he may have been shooting at a low resolution, thus using less than 2MP.

one point to consider. and if you are primarily viewing on PC and the ocassional 4R print. A 2 MP is enough.

Hmmm looks like it would be A70 then.

Just worried that in a year or so 3.2MP would be out of date.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/cla...b13&catid=1127

Is there a particular camera on that site that I haven't mentioned that I should take a closer look? In particular, the ones have manual controls

Quote Originally Posted by Tawcan
    Hmmm looks like it would be A70 then.

Just worried that in a year or so 3.2MP would be out of date.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/cla...b13&catid=1127

Is there a particular camera on that site that I haven't mentioned that I should take a closer look? In particular, the ones have manual controls

There is no such thing as out of date so long as the 3.2mp serves your needs. If like that I might as well get the 1Ds at 11mp.