View Poll Results: Who are still using which recording media?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cassette Tapes

6 66.67%
  • Video Tapes

4 44.44%
  • Laser Discs

3 33.33%
  • "Black Disc" (gramophone record)

5 55.56%
  • Others??

1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Laser Discs, Cassette Tapes, Video Tapes or the "black disc", anyone?

Default Laser Discs, Cassette Tapes, Video Tapes or the "black disc", anyone?

I was @ HMV recently and noticed they still sell Laser Discs at the price of around $50.

I was wondering is there anyone still using the old recording media formats such as Laser Discs, Cassette Tapes etc.?

Just curious as now people are using CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs..

Default Re: Laser Discs, Cassette Tapes, Video Tapes or the "black disc", anyone?

some ppl still use cassettes and video tapes, especially for radio/tv shows recording...
    not everyone can afford harddisk recordable players

Default Re: Laser Discs, Cassette Tapes, Video Tapes or the "black disc", anyone?

Still using a VCR for recording TV programes...still old school
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

me like LP ~ good sound
    pedantic.

I have over 100 LPs, a few Laser Discs from relatives, together with some casettes tapes inside 130L dry box. I know a friend who buys Teresa Teng LPs from Ebay.
    Pentax K-5 K10D ME FA35 50f1.4 DA12-24 DA17-70, Tamron 70-200, Polar 85f1.4, Sigma 17-70
    My Flickr

I used VCR sometime back to record TV shows too..
    Until last year, my VCR recorder spoilt...

I haven't used any cassette tapes lately, but my laserdiscs and vinyl records are still valuable to me. I'm transferring video tape recordings to hard drive, adding chapters, and putting to DVD when possible.

Yeah I still use cassette tapes from time-to-time. A bit of nostalgia, I suppose, thinking back to all those mix tapes we'd make when younger! I'd never want to go back to cassettes as a primary format, but still a bit of fun.

LPs though are a different story. I've got just a handful of them from last time but no LP player here. I left it behind when I shifted over from NZ. But i brought my LPs with me. Oh well.

Veering ever so slightly away from the original topic, does anybody know where (locally) to get a USB cassette-tape thing for transferring my collection of tapes to the 'puter? I know you can get 'em on eBay and the like, but anywhere locally for this sort of thing? Or anybody have one already that they'd not mind lending/renting out for a lil' while?

Cheers, Ben