Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Nepal: Trekking to Annurpurna Base Camp - Any tips?

Default Re: Nepal: Trekking to Annurpurna Base Camp - Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Ah, I doubt i'd be shooting that much per day but thanks for a run down on numbers.
    You are welcome, 2evans.
    But I will always remember what one experienced photog told me recently - bring whatever batteries I have, and bring lots of Lithium-ion AA batteries (may not have to be rechargeable ones) because these AA size batteries will be what we will be depending on a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    You are welcome, 2evans.
    But I will always remember what one experienced photog told me recently - bring whatever batteries I have, and bring lots of Lithium-ion AA batteries (may not have to be rechargeable ones) because these AA size batteries will be what we will be depending on a lot.
    Ah, don't have a battery grip, so I think using AA batteries is not an option.

Ah, don't have a battery grip, so I think using AA batteries is not an option.
    Hmmm... get a simple mechanical camera as a backup. Even a kodak disposable camera will do. It's difficult to shoot a bad photo of the mountains there.

The most important advice i can give is probably this "Go slow and you'll have a great trip.". Just remembered when I was enroute to Everest Base Camp - there was a stretch where they make stupas / tombs for travelers who died on the trek. It's pretty eerie there. There's a high chance that they pushed themselves too hard and collapse from altitude sickness.

So yeah, the member who said not to take altitude pills is right. My view is that if it gets really bad, probably pop one and stay at the same altitude. Let your body aclimatize for a day - works wonders.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I really love Clubsnap. The members here are so informative and also willing to share experiences and knowledge.

Did you guys encounter knee pain after walking for such long hours for so many days? Did you use any medicine or something to relief the pain?
    Going uphill is hard but downhill is even worse - downhill is HORRENDOUS for knees. If it makes you feel at ease, bring a tube of heatrub.

Sometimes, it's other things that will be the main problem - sniffles, windchill... no worries though, you'll learn how to clear your nose nepalese style. And windchill only makes you look native

The people in guesthouse are pretty cool too - there's this guesthouse owner (Tashi Delek) at Tengboche. He was a friendly chap - held my hands and then do the tibetan greeting when i went off. Maaaan... I want to go back.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

It's difficult to shoot a bad photo of the mountains there.
    hahaha tt is true to a certain extent.

So yeah, the member who said not to take altitude pills is right. My view is that if it gets really bad, probably pop one and stay at the same altitude. Let your body aclimatize for a day - works wonders.
    great advise! listen to your body when its tellin u something

Going uphill is hard but downhill is even worse - downhill is HORRENDOUS for knees. If it makes you feel at ease, bring a tube of heatrub.
    i brin yoko yoko my regular trekkin partner hehehe and warmup is important, we do warmup every mornin. For downhill i do not use trekkin sticks but some of my friends says it really help so different strokes for different folks, hahaah

all this discussion is makin me have wanderlust hahaha

cheers,
    kilkenny
    Nikon D90 | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 | Nissin Di622 |

Quote Originally Posted by kilkenny View Post

all this discussion is makin me have wanderlust hahaha

cheers,
    kilkenny
    Cheers man... I also feel wanderlust creeping up on me. It's better than having gear-lust though, that's too poisonous and neverending... :P
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

hahaha same here, im planning to go Nepal in January. i plan to bring my trusty film Nikon FE2 as backup to my dslr (fujifilm s5pro). I use manual lenses all the way so I find that increases the mileage i get from my batteries. Thanks for all the advise given so far! Its so much more helpful than wiki errrr can i get good supply of film at Kathmandu? (i asked earlier but there was no reply.... hehe)

How many camera batteries did you have with you? Did they last the entire trek? I have two camera batteries, and thinking of getting a third one.
    It depends on your the recommended battery life of your camera. Mine is Nikon En-el3e, that suppose to last for more than a full day shot on ground. In the mountain, at most it probably last you one full day shot per battery. I stay in base camp for a night only, hence 2 batteries are sufficient. If you stay more days in base camp, you probably need to get another one.

I have more than 20 Energizer e2 AA batteries as backup. But they all refuse to work at cold temp. Once, you coming down from base camp, they all work perfectly again.
    Last edited by blackman; 2nd November 2009 at 05:27 PM.

Ah, I doubt i'd be shooting that much per day but thanks for a run down on numbers.
    Dont underestimate yourself.
    The scenery there will convince you to keep taking photographs, provided you likes to take photographs. 300 shots per day is very normal. Another things you may need to think about is the memory card capacity if you like to shoot in RAW. Do a simple math, will tell you how many GB card you need to bring.

Quote Originally Posted by blackman View Post
    It depends on your the recommended battery life of your camera. Mine is Nikon En-el3e, that suppose to last for more than a full day shot on ground. In the mountain, at most it probably last you one full day shot per battery. I stay in base camp for a night only, hence 2 batteries are sufficient. If you stay more days in base camp, you probably need to get another one.

I have more than 20 Energizer e2 AA batteries as backup. But they all refuse to work at cold temp. Once, you coming down from base camp, they all work perfectly again.
    Ah, supposed to be one night at the base camp, but if the weather doesn't look good, won't be staying the night as you can get snowed in.

Hmm, need to think about getting a battery grip, but that's more money...

Quote Originally Posted by blackman View Post
    Dont underestimate yourself.
    The scenery there will convince you to keep taking photographs, provided you likes to take photographs. 300 shots per day is very normal. Another things you may need to think about is the memory card capacity if you like to shoot in RAW. Do a simple math, will tell you how many GB card you need to bring.
    Usually I shoot jpeg, but I may be shooting raw as who knows when i'll trekking there again.

Gonna pick up a couple more CF cards, and hope it's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by alexblessed View Post
    hahaha same here, im planning to go Nepal in January. i plan to bring my trusty film Nikon FE2 as backup to my dslr (fujifilm s5pro). I use manual lenses all the way so I find that increases the mileage i get from my batteries. Thanks for all the advise given so far! Its so much more helpful than wiki errrr can i get good supply of film at Kathmandu? (i asked earlier but there was no reply.... hehe)
    Wow, January will be pretty cold up by the base camp... very brave!

Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    Is cold enough that your breath form vapors when you breath out? If you think that's cool, wait till you pee.

There's a question about trekking poles. It may be necessary if you've got a bad knee, or just pick up a strong branch on the way up. Trick is to trek properly but transfering your weight on the leading foot to conserve your energy. Will be panting really hard though, because of the thin air.
    Wait till you get over 6,500m and see how cold and hard it is to breathe without oxy bottles peeing becomes a whole new sensation over 5,000m hehe.
    Last edited by Ian; 3rd November 2009 at 09:55 AM.

I do see normal film (Kodak?) being sold in camera shops in Thamel but not sure if they're expired (box colour look faded though)... Not sure if they've slides too (since u specified Velvia 50). Better standby ur own...

Yes going downhill is bad for knees & having a trekking pole will certainly help though it may hinder ur photo-taking moments (cos u've got only 2 hands & u need to use both to operate a dSLR). Make sure ur shoes give adequate support to ur ankles to prevent sprains when u slip (there's a slightly different way of tying ur shoelace for going up & going down, ask ur guide).

Batt life will definitely be a concern but I guess having 2-3 batts shld be quite adequate. The lighter ur load, the easier time u'll have during trekking (u'll know wat I mean once u're UP there). Having a mechanical cam can be a gd backup but it can also fail due to low temp in early morning (esp Poonhill sunrise). My fren did have her Minolta X700 die on her during that particular sunrise...
    ~ 迷失的我仍在努力寻找属于自己的蓝天 ~

With all this talk of battery drainage, do you end up sharing your sleeping bag with your batteries?

With all this talk of battery drainage, do you end up sharing your sleeping bag with your batteries?
    Oh... just tuck them in your thermal undies... hahaha, kidding kidding.

But seriously, I panicked when my batt died on me when the view was breath-taking. Almost wanted to cry. Luckily, my guide bit the batt and revived them. Even then, it died every couple of shots. Don't say we never warn you before hand.
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    Oh... just tuck them in your thermal undies... hahaha, kidding kidding.

But seriously, I panicked when my batt died on me when the view was breath-taking. Almost wanted to cry. Luckily, my guide bit the batt and revived them. Even then, it died every couple of shots. Don't say we never warn you before hand.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to line my photo bag with some yak fur.

Even if you put batteries into your bag, wrap with clothes, put inside sleeping bag, they will still be cold. The entire bag is basically cold, just like u take out from frig. I think choosing correct type of battery is more important than keeping them warm.

A lot of jackets have pockets on their inner lining, just keep a battery there if you're really concerned about batteries dying in the cold. Don't keep in your pants pockets unless you're dead sure you won't get any abrasion from it.

Hey man, I'm doing the Everest Base Camp Trek in January 2010. Insane time to go as the weather is literally breathtaking. But I don't want to go during peak season. Maybe I'll see you somewhere in Nepal...

Good luck mate!
    Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast