Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations of laptop for photoediting?

Default Re: Any recommendations of laptop for photoediting?

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    I am actually looking at the XPS 16 as well. but didn know about the batt issue
    urs is the i7 processor ?

ryan
    Hey Ryan
    sorry for the late reply
    Mine is the P8600 or something, the 2.4Ghz

Maybe i7 core would use less power.
    Hope you get more than 2 hours at normal setting.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by lightrules View Post
    Hey Ryan
    sorry for the late reply

cheers
    macbooks for the win! laptops that don't last for at least 3 hours (normal mode) should be axed!
    Canon LoL

Quote Originally Posted by g75yu View Post
    Hi. Can anyone advise why my computer is running pretty slow when I use zoombrowser to view my 7D pictures - most of the pics are in large JPEG (not even RAW) and yet I am having quite a lag when thumbnails come up or when I scroll through the pictures. And when I try using Photoshop elements (whether on its own or with ZoomBrowser open too), it can have quite a lot of lag

I am using a Quad Core 2.4ghz, recently upgraded to 4gb Ram, Windows Vista, Nvidia geforce 8400 GS card
    I having the same problem a few weeks ago. Worst of all, I got "hang" everytime open more than 2 applications. After advice from the expert here, I got rid of stupid Window Vista and installed Window 7. Now my laptop is having better performance with no more lag and "hang". I done turn on/off test on my laptop, it is less than 7 seconds which is good for me.

Hey Ryan
    sorry for the late reply

cheers
    no prob. the sales guy at sim lim told me i7 can run more than 3 hrs + at usual settings, dunno whether he sian me or wat.

anyway one more week to my i7 lappy delivery..

no prob. the sales guy at sim lim told me i7 can run more than 3 hrs + at usual settings, dunno whether he sian me or wat.

anyway one more week to my i7 lappy delivery..
    Cool. Did u buy it during Sitex? Mind sharing the price and config? Thanks.

Well... My MacBook Pro is always the computer of choice, and many photographers find it useful, because the original Adobe Suite was tailored for the Mac.. It's pretty sturdy.. not too bulky, but price is on the high side.

Alienware.. It's a speed demon, but it's bulky, and not really as portable you would want it to be..

Quote Originally Posted by coffee3in1 View Post
    Cool. Did u buy it during Sitex? Mind sharing the price and config? Thanks.
    I order mine from online from dell

everything from the current standard XPS16 i7-720QM offerings with the following upgrades:
    -Windows 7 Professional
    -Combo drive that does Blue Ray burning ( i am more excited the BD burning actually )
    -16 inch Ultrasharp Full HD RGBLED with True Life

500GB Hddsk, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB etc comes part of the package

* probably upgrade my ram once the prices gets abit cheaper nxt time..

for me i am looking for value for money. cannot really justify paying for a different system for more money because of a ligher build or asthetics. And i am pretty happy with Win 7

costs ard 3.2k + i think

ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 2nd December 2009 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shazie View Post
    macbooks for the win! laptops that don't last for at least 3 hours (normal mode) should be axed!
    Yes I was most tempted to get the Macbook but at that time, stupid Apple says Firewire is dead...now, they resurrected it ...good god, a miracle in modern time !

NOw, the revised Macbooks are most tempting.....really like the use of alum shell as a heatsink, longer battery etc....but did you know that Macbook will run at 25% slower if you remove the battery ??
    Even when you are at home, office, your battery MUST be plug in ....but I guess the newer ones arent removable, so the problem dont exist any more.

Yes I was most tempted to get the Macbook but at that time, stupid Apple says Firewire is dead...now, they resurrected it ...good god, a miracle in modern time !

NOw, the revised Macbooks are most tempting.....really like the use of alum shell as a heatsink, longer battery etc....but did you know that Macbook will run at 25% slower if you remove the battery ??
    Even when you are at home, office, your battery MUST be plug in ....but I guess the newer ones arent removable, so the problem dont exist any more.
    Yeah, if you're familiar with Apple laptops, not many of us use it without batteries and plugged in AC. Of course this problem now is negated by the difficulty in removing the battery in their latest line.

It's still removable though, just unscrew the back panel; if you so wish.
    Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.

Cool. I also tempted by it during the Sitex show.

Was considering MacBookPro 15 but no HD screen, HDMI and BR. These are important, since the laptop is partly for entertainment.

I got until end of the week to confirm the Dell order. Heh.. heh..
    i7 processor, Win7Pro, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD. 16" RGBLED. BR (no burner). 3 yrs complete care. Ard $2800. Good value, i think.

I order mine from online from dell

everything from the current standard XPS16 i7-720QM offerings with the following upgrades:
    -Windows 7 Professional
    -Combo drive that does Blue Ray burning ( i am more excited the BD burning actually )
    -16 inch Ultrasharp Full HD RGBLED with True Life

500GB Hddsk, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB etc comes part of the package

* probably upgrade my ram once the prices gets abit cheaper nxt time..

for me i am looking for value for money. cannot really justify paying for a different system for more money because of a ligher build or asthetics. And i am pretty happy with Win 7

costs ard 3.2k + i think

ryan

M
    B
    P

Period. You won't go wrong with it.

Fanboy alert

I'm using the dell studio xps16 with i7 processor Win 7 ultimate. Everything runs smoothly. Photoshop is really fast.
    Sean

The most important here is the screen quality and graphic card.

I had the previous 13" white MacBook and found the screen very average (low resolution and 13" too small for me) and graphic card on the slower side. Sold that after 3 years (still working perfectly and resold for good price) and got the latest 15" MacBook Pro. The screen is the best in any laptops and the powerful graphic card sped up alot of applications. But any of the latest MacBook Pro range is excellent - 13" 15" 17". All depends on your budget. I run multiple apps on mine - Photoshop CS4, Aperture, Nix software, etc with no issues.

The experience of using Mac is much nicer!
    Magic Carpet Ride
    Canon EOS 40D

Well, I'd recommend a mac. Possibly the 13 inch or if you can stretch slightly, the $2788 MBP 15.

You get a 15 inch 1440x900 resolution monitor with 7 hour battery life in a CNCed aluminum body thats 2.52cm thick. Its pretty light too at 2.5kg.

Software wise mac is pretty well covered for graphics design, photo editing and video editing.

I have the older MBP 15 inch(2.66ghz 9600m gt) and the battery life is a joke in vista. 1.5 hour if your lucky. My record was 30 min. That aside, batt life in OS x is about 4.5 hours if I don't any flash stuff.

i would recommend a MBP too for anyone doing general editing, presentation, travelling, etc... anything but connecting it to the printer and expect wysiwyg results.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    i would recommend a MBP too for anyone doing general editing, presentation, travelling, etc... anything but connecting it to the printer and expect wysiwyg results.
    ditto here. Macbook pro.

If you're a PC guy, then it boils down to specs, and i would recommend a XPS from dell.
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

mac is the best, it is very easy to use photoshop in mac. in fact the moment you buy the mac photoediting become a child play.

Quote Originally Posted by SeAnCoLd View Post
    I'm using the dell studio xps16 with i7 processor Win 7 ultimate. Everything runs smoothly. Photoshop is really fast.
    Sounds good already, mine arriving in 2 days time

ryan

macbook pro ftw!

how so? the interface of Photoshop in Win and OSX are different?

am considering a laptop too rather than a desktop. wondering if Apple will upgrade the MBP 15" specs in the coming Jan 2010...

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    mac is the best, it is very easy to use photoshop in mac. in fact the moment you buy the mac photoediting become a child play.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast