Thread: regression? or return to innocence..

Question regression? or return to innocence..

1. lately my sister bought those tiny digicams. she's getting married and these few days shes having fun taking snapshots..

2. also i started to think back what i have done ever since i became a free man after leaving NS. during those lonely evening long runs, afternoon long swims, afternoon long cycling, long othello sessions...i was really wondering where photography is taking me. i recall those early days when i used a no-name-no-brand point-n-shoot camera and simply went all over the island documenting my travels. no fuss. no sweat.

3. having spent so much money on SLR stuff..i became to wonder: is a picture really worth the hassle of having to spend so much money? just as i am happily satisfied with using $10 dollar egg-shaped speakers to play my favourite mp3s, do i really have to spend so much money and unnecessary physical strength to haul SLRs+lenses all over where ever i travel to just to document my travels? not that i dont have the physical fitness to do it..it just feels redundant. in chinese proverbs there's a saying " use a knife meant to kill a bull to use it and kill a chicken" ie "dont do redundant things" but then again why is it my eyes stubbornly refuse to accept degraded image quality when using sub-SLR gear but my ears are contant with $10 egg-shaped speakers?

4. then i recall watching "overtime" where takashi sorimachi cooly weilds the F5 and shoots so smoothly, translating his vision onto print. that made me plunge into SLRs.

5. but now...i want to say this: i hate to miss the feel of SLRs, but i feel like goin back to use point-n-shoot. blasphemy? or enlightenment? arrg..

Different strokes for different folks.

If you're leaning towards a more consumer based camera, there's no shame in going back to a simple P n S camera.

Do what fits your needs.

Don't let people say that it's blasphemy etc. It's nothing of that sort.

In a world where change is the only constant, there is no right nor wrong.

What does matter in the wheel of life is that you live it to the fullest and not stop to think, should I use a F3.2 or F11.0?

Hmmm... I seem to remeber a scene in OT where he was shooting a puppy with an EOS. Love that show.

Anyway, I left all my gear behind and just brought the company's A60 for an overseas trip recently. Really very different feel. I love to have a camera with me wherever I go but hate the feeling I get when I lug my gear around. Not because of the weight and bulk, but because I keep thinking I MUST shoot something to justify bring everything out.

Hi there. I get that feeling too once in a while, usually a form of buyer's remorse, or when I get a particularly 'blah' roll back from the lab! Once in a while I have to remind myself (1) there is no such thing as a bad camera, only a bad photographer and (2) the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it. I've also been thinking of going around town with my childhood camera, which has a plastic lens and a manual film advance thumb gear thingamajig. Just got to be thick skinned, as it's pretty big at 12cm x 7cm, but doubt if people will stare as long as I act normal. If anyone asks, I'll say it's a medium format camera, or say I'm an art student!

thnx dudes 4 the insights

ok man, next week i go try load tcn400 into the old PnS

Deregistered

clive, better to let the $10 speakers and slr stick around. at least if it's affordable to your pocket. my dad's still not picking up his fairly new E1 to go around to shoot, not really making use of his Whafedale hifi speakers to play much music other than radio, i'm guilty of not using my bicycle as often as i would love to etc... there are times when we're tired and just simply bochup la. reminds me too, of the time when i was fairly into overclocking, but after failing to get much success, just simply bochup'ed for a computer that could work then enough already

but give yourself time, i'm sure you'll enjoy lugging your camera around as much as i do

well clive... i understand wat u are going through.. many a times, we buy things we feel we may need.. just like in photography.. we buy mid range zooms, tele zooms, macro lens... some of us here, may have much more better gear that can put any pro to shame.. in short..most of us buy more then wat we may use or need...

well.. wat i'm trying to say is.. put aside everything.. shoot with just one cam and 1 lens(works the same way as a P&S) who knows...u may appreciate shooting with a slr back again.. dun bother with the.." wat if i need to shoot from far?", "will i need a tripod", "i think i may wanna shoot macro"... just shoot with 1 cam and 1 lens.. if u are too far away.. walk a few steps forward.. force urself to work with wat u have..thats almost the same with using P&S cameras.. besides the weight and size factor.. its a one lens, one body system...u dun have to worry abt lens, gear...blah blah..its either u get the pic or u dun..

well.. i'm just sharing my experience.. hope it does open a new aspect of shooting that u have gone past many times without stopping to explore

i believe the solution can be found in 1 word:

diversity. or put in another way: variety is the spice of life! hehe why didnt i think of it earlier. such an age old proven concept yet i lost it...must be the OC..make me type so much document yep gradually realised its true 4 whatever analogy/experience u guys kindly provided..thats the exact same reason why i switched from solely running to swimbikerun! yup..all falls in2 place right now. thnx!

which reminds me..i gotta lay my hands on the elusive 300/2.8 and produce the most stunning shot of my sister n bro-in-law during their most blissfull moment at the altar for the sake of my sister i will blow my pockets 4 once and deliver my finest vision possible and cast in permanently into happy-ever-lasting prints for everyone...though i never actually covered any kind of weddigns as a sidelines photog b4, i believe my past exploits while shooting events n candid streets will come in2 useful play..oh yeah! weddign guests got similarly pretty "island life" babes one right? yes! i feel alive again. the wedding is one big event i will plan forward to. cheerios!

Deregistered

wait a minute... 300/2.8?? remember to loan it to me when i'm shooting sports!

sehs, r u @ NTU? i may be going there in this june/july..if u still around then we may be able to trade tips hehe cheerz!

Deregistered

no la. i not "da xue shen"...

anyway i will be occasionally visit each monday, thursday, friday, but since you're only going in july... nah, i would have finished by then.