Thread: What kind of post processing are allowed?

Default What kind of post processing are allowed?

Hi,

I heard someone mentioned that things in PS like Levels, Sharpening, contrast, hue and brightness are ok to do.

Just wondering if there are any rules in photojournalism that states what kind of post processing are allowed. This is particularly with respect to digital photography.

Normally for competition, the rules will be stated clearly.
    But for me, I usually do some Levels, Sharpening, colour cast, to my pics. & I never crop my pics unless intended to be that way B4 i took the pic.

Ultimately, it's your choice. Whether U'll feel good after using the cheating tools.

It is a little disturbing the way AReality mentioned 'cheating tools'. Unless of course you digitally manipulated an image with an unequivocal intent of distorting the truth and to cause harm, I believe there is no harm in post-processing your photos to make them look as good as they should. Perhaps not entirely photojournalism related, but I believe Peter iNova has a pretty solid article and I couldn't have said it better, so here's the link

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Image_...Effects_01.htm

However, it would definitely depend on your client on the restrictions they impose on you as there are no standard, general rules governing photojournalism. For instance, it might be a school who wants an event to be taken with the intent of captivating more prospective students, they would love you if you could make everyone look as good as possible (in their best behaviour of course). Just imagine you have a keeper but some jokers played prank in the foreground, you would of course crop them off. After all, if we consider cropping 'illegal' and 'cheating', then framing and composition would be equally deceiving as we do not show our audience EVERYTHING but just what we want them to see. Taking for magazines or newspapers might just be another story, though.

Haha...
    ok.
    should've put a quote "" for cheating tools.

My meaning of "cheating tools" is not the meaning of "to deceive the audience", but as a sort of "Oh sh*t. I underexposed by 2/3 stops. nevermind. PS to the rescue! "

I've moved this thread from Photojournalism and Sports as those are Photo Galleries and not intended for discussion of techniques alone.

Ian
    Photojournalism and Sports.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    I've moved this thread from Photojournalism and Sports as those are Photo Galleries and not intended for discussion of techniques alone.

Ian
    Photojournalism and Sports.
    oops sorry.

I thought i wanted to ask it here as the question is unique to photojournalism.

Anyhow, are there any rules stated by orgs like say AP on how much post processing is allowed?