Thread: the girl that shankar touched (part 2)

Default the girl that shankar touched (part 2)

there is nothing political, religious or rascist about the previous thread.
    the internet forum is a mechanism for free speech, but not here apparantly, where the threads are often more bland than water, the topics, more stale than expired bread, the culture, more stifling than even the forum at youngpap.org. Some mods' holier-than thou attitude makes this place seem nothing more than a schoolroom. Not liking what they read is not a valid reason for shutting down threads just like that. The way threads are 'policed' around here and how it parallels old-school Singapore so much are simply laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by wildhoney
    the internet forum is a mechanism for free speech, but not here apparantly, where the threads are often more bland than water, the topics, more stale than expired bread, the culture, more stifling than even the forum at youngpap.org. Some mods' holier-than thou attitude makes this place seem nothing more than a schoolroom. Not liking what they read is not a valid reason for shutting down threads just like that. The way threads are 'policed' around here and how it parallels old-school Singapore so much are simply laughable.
    Freedom of expression is one of the most fundamental rights that individuals enjoy. It is fundamental to the existence of democracy and the respect of human dignity. It is also one of the most dangerous rights, because freedom of expression means the freedom to express one's discontent with the status quo and the desire to change it. As such, it is one of the most threatened rights, with governments - and even human rights groups - all over the world constantly trying to curtail it.

Maybe this is just a photography forum... we are only allowed to critiques on pictures and not others?

which they dun usually practise?

sounds like some other forums too... wat? softstone?

there is nothing political, religious or rascist about the previous thread. the internet forum is a mechanism for free speech...
    Yes, you are absolutely correct in every sense. The internet forum is a mechanism for free speech et al... just like how all cars are made to be driven. But there are some cars that are meant for a specific purpose and some cars aren't allowed to be driven in certain places. Just in case you don't get it, let me put it this way to you.

There is a time and place for everything. This forum is neither the place and right now, it's not the time. To reiterate, this is ultimately, a photography forum.

A victim of molest doesn't wish to be made known to the public. Can we respect a simple request? Or doesn't your "need to know" overwhelm any sense of decency or respect for your own gender or even a fellow human being?

...but not here apparantly, where the threads are often more bland than water, the topics, more stale than expired bread, the culture, more stifling than even the forum at youngpap.org. Some mods' holier-than thou attitude makes this place seem nothing more than a schoolroom.
    And if that is the case... why are you still here?
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Not liking what they read is not a valid reason for shutting down threads just like that. The way threads are 'policed' around here and how it parallels old-school Singapore so much are simply laughable.
    In case you didn't read my previous post thoroughly, The thread wasn't closed simply because it wasn't "liked".The fact that i got 2 pms, 1 call and 1 email from members from this community doesn't really mean anything then?

In my personal capacity, i really couldn't care less about what you post. But the fact that your post warrented my attention meant that some form of feedback was generated, and thus your post was acted upon. Like i mentioned before, i don't really give 2 hoots about you or what you post.

Anyone can simply do a search here on your handle in CS and see what the majority of your posts are all about.

Almost all of your postings are in kopitiam and hardly anywhere else. Quite a few of them are also threads that have been locked, removed from the public's eye due to a variety of reasons. At the same time, alot of your comments are simply incendiary.

An example being here and here. And it obviously contradicts what you say here.

What you have said before and will say are all here for everyone to see and judge. What you have done and said so far will only reflect upon you as a person.

In local parlance, "people have been giving you face" for awhile now, tolerating what they can but u need to look at yourself before pointing any fingers at anyone at all for the way your posts have been handled.

If this sounds too autocratic for you, tough. But if you don't think this forum is "good" enough for the likes of you, then by all means, LEAVE. No one will be showing you the door. I'm quite sure you know the way out.

Good day.
    --

ehe~ somehow i always knew this place is abit stricterthan others..but im now used 2 it

Default RELAK larr....

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    ehe~ somehow i always knew this place is abit stricterthan others..but im now used 2 it
    Hello All... Hey hey hey, i think we should cool it here.

Er, Wolfgang, i appreciate the voracity of your arguments, and i also appreciate the research you put into your reply. But honestly, what Wildhoney and Ruthbaby have said so far, to me sound like opinions, which they are entitled to. If they want to be incendiary, let them be. Whether the discussion is bland or not is something for the majority of clubsnap members to decide. Similarly, if there was a problem with the policing of the forums, then that is for the majority of the members to raise their voices.

Now all I can say here is that, Wildhoney, the remarks that you have, are incendiary, and uncalled for. I agree with you on the freedom of speech issue, but to label the entire forum as bland and uninteresting etc etc, is to insult everyone here, including the ones who have done nothing against you. Freedom of expression is granted not for the purposes of introducing new weapons but to show that you do not live under oppression. If you are inflammatory, you well lose that right.

Perhaps we can come to a compromise. If there is an issue with the removal of a forum thread, or something equivalent to censorship, i think the moderator should provide some explanation. And the moderator should listen to the reasons members might want to give for the continuance of the thread. Would this be better?

Freedom ... yeah? But eh all please control control lar. Got problem can meet at pub settle wif beer.

Teddddman!

ClubSNAP Admin

Let me make it very simple, unless "the girl that shankar touched" is YOU, or you had been in the same situation before, and now you wan to talk about it, in that case by all means, you can post here.

If not I donít find a valid reason for you to discuss such topic in ClubSNAP forums. I or the modsí here might not be holier, but we respect others and do not seek to discuss such topic on the victim regardless of whoever is right or wrong.

i'll have to agree that this place could be "stricter" than others, but this place was set up for a main purpose.. and i believe it isn't banal talk. as anyone might appreciate, it's actually quite lax liow... as u can see from the OTs in other topics!

there are avenues to have discussions about molesters and watever, but i guess it's not here. can't u just accept that and move on? it's nothing personal man.

for all u know, wolfgang might join u in the same discussion at a more APPROPRIATE place.

i give u a very simple example, more simple than wolfgang's.

there's freedom of speech to laugh right? no one is gonna jail you for laughing. but that doesn't mean you would exchange jokes at a funeral and laugh as you would at starbucks with some really close buddies.

Deregistered

i stand for the viewpoints that Wolfgang and Simon have mentioned.

i endorse the idea of free speech, but you DO have your own website Lyndy, and you DO have your own forum on your website. i believe you should have an abundance of visitors to your forum/website - after all, i dont get that many flames on my website (yet). but as an acquaintance of yours, i suggest that you wake up to reality, and not be apparently obsessed with some Tom & Jerry when you have a real and existent boyfriend. how can he cope with this kind of thinking from you is really mind-boggling. i mean, i'm thankful for waking out of the idol-worshipping days that only lasted three years then. phew! Jerry, or Jelly, the chap's in the media, and not in your life. get a grip over fantasy, or let it overrun you.

really, if you had made a little difference, by posting up photos on CS asking from critique etc, at least people know of your *photographic* existence. but frankly, either due to the fact that i've missed all your posting of photos, or just that you don't have any at all, i really don't know what you're in clubsnap for - especially when i get the impression that you joined way before even i did. come on, the rest of us CS folks are in CS for the companionship of other photographic-minded (read: obsessed) folks, but what are you in CS for in the first place? photography? really, i haven't seen any discipline of photographs being posted on your site nor on CS yet. maybe it's a New Year Resolution for you to change this year - but you only know best.

as for the topic, there's always your own forum/website and other hard-to-police forum sites like HWZ and sammyboy's. for such nonsensical and non-beneficiary posts, keep them there or elsewhere, for photographic/general banter, yes, welcome to CS Kopitiam. but do not blur the lines of censorship on this forum - clubsnap WAS set up all along for photographic purposes, not paparazzi movements. and like Simon mentioned (what roughly what i mentioned the last time), if it was YOU who was the apparent victim in the legal case, you wouldn't want YOUR own photo to be plastered across The Sun or TNP for the matter, because the general public will recognize you and impose the social stigma on you.

lastly, THINK harder before you post. you're a graduate, i only went to polytechnic.

er, isn't this the Kopitiam aka Banal Talk forum ? So why all the fuss over a banal talk that is neither political, racist, nor religious ? Yes, socially a little touchy, but if we shy away from every touchy topic, we'll never grow. Of course it's up to the mods, so I'm not saying who's right or wrong. Just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    i stand for the viewpoints that Wolfgang and Simon have mentioned.

i endorse the idea of free speech, but you DO have your own website Lyndy, and you DO have your own forum on your website. i believe you should have an abundance of visitors to your forum/website - after all, i dont get that many flames on my website (yet). but as an acquaintance of yours, i suggest that you wake up to reality, and not be apparently obsessed with some Tom & Jerry when you have a real and existent boyfriend. how can he cope with this kind of thinking from you is really mind-boggling.
    Wow, that's really uncalled for. It's none of your concern what goes on between her and her boyfriend, and frankly, it's really low down of you to make a "mind-boggling" comment on someone else's boyfriend.

as for the topic, there's always your own forum/website and other hard-to-police forum sites like HWZ and sammyboy's. for such nonsensical and non-beneficiary posts, keep them there or elsewhere, for photographic/general banter, yes, welcome to CS Kopitiam. but do not blur the lines of censorship on this forum - clubsnap WAS set up all along for photographic purposes, not paparazzi movements. and like Simon mentioned (what roughly what i mentioned the last time), if it was YOU who was the apparent victim in the legal case, you wouldn't want YOUR own photo to be plastered across The Sun or TNP for the matter, because the general public will recognize you and impose the social stigma on you.

lastly, THINK harder before you post. you're a graduate, i only went to polytechnic.
    Please don't push this poly-vs-grad crap. We should judge the arguments on its merits, not on the academic background of who's talking.

Deregistered

chris, then in which aspect do we grow when we discuss this touchy topic you admitted to, that lyndy has brought up this time? if it's a topic that's touchy, but would benefit everyone in the end, fine. but what direction is her request going to take us? The Sun? will we learn anything constructive from this court case? or does it take one for you to learn anything?

if your own girlfriend has gone through the case, whether factual victim or not, the unwanted attention is totally unheralded for. this reminds me of the time when someone posted what some people thought were not-very-complementary pictures of some lady eating - how would you react if it was yourself or your direct family members potentially being shown to practically an international audience to see?

Quote Originally Posted by chriszzz
    Please don't push this poly-vs-grad crap. We should judge the arguments on its merits, not on the academic background of who's talking.
    right, as you mentioned, where's the merit?

Please people. For those who have been part of CS for the past 2 years (or long enough) should be aware that we only intervene on a handful of threads and even that we were, are and will be prepared to account for our actions.

IMO, If we carry on with this it'll do more harm than good. Please, let's move on.

The thread is hereby closed.
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 23rd January 2004 at 03:01 PM.

Everyone can say what they wish to, but if the victim or a person friend of the victim asked me to kindly "moderate" the thread as the victim had in the past visited this particular forum before, i do not see why as moderators, we shouldn't step in and err on the side of compassion or sensibility.

For those who have been kind enough to PM me their support, thank you.

For the rest of you whom deem my actions hateful enough to tell me off about it, i can only say that, my reaction/posting-even if certain quarters deemed unacceptable-is something history will look kindly upon.

Good day.
    --