Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has photography made you fitter than before?

Deregistered

Default Has photography made you fitter than before?

Curious about this... we all come from a variety of backgrounds, but how many of you feel that photography has somehow kept you lean or fit? At least, kept your biceps/triceps firm?

Personally, I usually carry out my full arsenal of items except my 50/1.8, and I often do walk probably 5 to 8km if it's a weekend and I don't have anything on that day, with my setup. Never bothered to weigh the bag, but I have at least 3.5kg in photographic equipment each time in my bag, plus a 1-liter Nalgene bottle fully topped up, and walking all along with it.

Come share your experiences if photography has indeed helped you to remain fit...

That's actually very difficult to gauge, for me at least. I'm doing something I like so naturally my tolerance to weight and distance increases(I think). Running 2.4k, push-ups, etc, etc...... is a different story.

Hi,
    Photography hasn't really made me fitter, I mean in a physical sense. I'm not really an active person and I adore chocolates, pastries and sweet stuff so it makes me so jealous when I hear people can actually shed kilos carrying photographic equipment...

But personally, I feel since I started photography, it has made me more aware of the small details around me that I usually take for granted in the past. Things that you walk past everyday without even giving a glance at it can actually be gorgeous stuff if you pay more attention to it.

To me, I feel photography is something like having a latte at a cafe, nothing to hold you back in the whole wide world, and you just sit down and watch the world and crowd go by. EXCEPT, you have a wonderful tool in your hand to catch those precious and priceless moments.

Regards,
    -Michelle-

Deregistered

interesting view, Michelle

personally though... i haven't shed a gram off my waistline since i started photography - because the lowepro belt that i use for my camerabag has been keeping myself from eating too much!

but the fun thing is the rushing to locations to shoot, and getting into the sun, the outdoors - did i mention the fun in wearing army boots and jeans to have a little offroad experience admidst damp weather, or to the iceskating rink with an extra pullover to keep myself warm?

though it hasn't made me much fitter... i can say it sure hasn't me me fAtter!

Definitely! Besides the walking and carrying of equipment, I also always have the honour to hold the giant reflector high above my head for friends to shoot, somtimes can take quite long.....

I am not an active person too. Quite dislike exercising but photography forces me to get on my feet and move.

and sometimes that "moving" lasts for >1 hour.
    *i got my exercise at last.

Photography hasn't helped with my waistline but it certainly taught me to slow down my pace, and appreciate the many little things that I don't usually pay attention to.......and made me cherish my pair of eyes. **blink****blink****blink**

oh deft... lolz
    those gears are sooo heavy and i take a lot of outdoor wedding shoots...
    if i dun have assistant on tt day... ive to carry everything myself.. walk and shoot...

gawd.. realised i actually lose some weight *lolz*

and my right arm has small muscles liao

Quote Originally Posted by mimeow
    I am not an active person too. Quite dislike exercising but photography forces me to get on my feet and move.

and sometimes that "moving" lasts for >1 hour.
    *i got my exercise at last.
    Yeah, I agree with you.

But nowadays, I don't carry my FM2 around with me that much. I substitute it with my Holga.

So is that a good or bad sign?

Regards,
    -Michelle-

I went out with my gear but also spend more time in front of comuter, doing image selection and processing guess it balances out.

shooting pictures have made me looses some fats during the past months...i treat it as a form of workout

i'm not so sure if photography had me fitter....but definitely made my wallet 'leaner'!!

My balance in my bank a/cs are definitely trimmer and slimmer than before ...

no difference

Default Definite weight loss

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    no difference
    Eh confirm plus guarantee. Photography gives you fitness.

BUT that depends on what kind of photogrpahy... When i was into that kind of arty farty street shooting, I got into lots of trouble. There's this vege seller in Chinatown who started throwing veg at me after she heard the click. There's also the snake oil man who threw um, i dunno wat it was, but it didn't hit me. Well, point is, you RUN. and when you have a manfrotto that weighs at least 2.5 kg, plus abt 3 lenses and 1 body, that adds up to lots of calories lost.

Of course, hehe, now I'm in portraiture, where the benefit lies with the chemistry between the photographer and the model.

Check wif those Everest photographers lar. I think they lost the most weight for photographic reasons.

aiya u carry heavy-class tripod no wonder there's where the difference comes in lah hehe..come i chio u and teach u the art of "impossible handholding tricks" and "tripodless shooting"..satisfaction guaranteed provided u believe its possible =)

yeah agree that at times when u trek for real real long long then the weight starts to sink in a bit.. kinda like route march...i recall the time i walked to n ro sentosa beach looking 4 the elusive shot of "island life" babes...after walking from east to west to east to west dunno how many times...then i caught 3 "island life" babas frolicking in at the coast...400mm somemore yeah i mentioned this particular "prize-winning" shot a couple of times back...too bad still unable to post it keke..nevermind next time when i ready then chio u 4 a long march shoot; how's that dude? cheers!

Deregistered

Teddman, you should have grabbed the free vege's and the snake oil (i hope it was!) and ran with them... you would have added weight to your massive setup for extra weights-training...

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    Teddman, you should have grabbed the free vege's and the snake oil (i hope it was!) and ran with them... you would have added weight to your massive setup for extra weights-training...
    Hahahahah

siao eh, i think those veges were rotten, and the snake oil... uh... i'll stick wif tiger balm and axe brand. dubious arses lar those chinatown quacks. I tell you, all I've seen them do is break chopsticks and slap cobras. Eh...

Ok, admittedly those are things that we can't normally do. Ok Ok back to the topic. I'm onze for the route march haha. Endurance photo taking session. When? I suggest the upcoming saturday. We plan a 72 km tactical route march... hahaah at the end of it, everyone presented wif jungle hat and red beret. We spend whole day whack through pulau ubin lar. Get a map, plan a route. see what happens. On?

Eh eh just joking. Any ex commandos out there, please ah, just joking. dun come paratroop into my HDB flat...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Teddman
    siao eh, i think those veges were rotten, and the snake oil... uh... i'll stick wif tiger balm and axe brand. dubious arses lar those chinatown quacks. I tell you, all I've seen them do is break chopsticks and slap cobras. Eh...
    haha, CHOPSTICKS? those must be awfully thick ones at that!

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    haha, CHOPSTICKS? those must be awfully thick ones at that!
    Alamak, sorrie sorrie, din mention, break chopsticks.... ON THEIR THROATS...

scary enuff boh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast