Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: Massive traffic problem in the making?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
    Haha I see.

    But mind share wise... even people who don't drive cars would think ... wow shell is generous.
    I ask my family and friends (who don't drive) who are affected by the jams, they are more pissed with shell than impressed.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeagga View Post
    Wah.... so desperate ah? 50 mins queue. Car idling for 50mins. Just to save $40?

    Ok. I just don't get it.

    Is it limited edition fuel?
    Haha... it was my original plan to pump petrol yesterday. And I'm Shell's loyal customer... Since the police allowed cars to drive in batch by batch, I would just switch off my engine after moving each time... then read my book.

    50 minutes is OK for a person like me who used to jam for hours through Woodlands custom.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

  3. #23
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,666

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    This is the 2nd time Shell is on it and its downright irresponsible. Making money at the expense of road users.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeagga View Post
    Wah.... so desperate ah? 50 mins queue. Car idling for 50mins. Just to save $40?

    Ok. I just don't get it.

    Is it limited edition fuel?
    the car can be turned off you know. it don't have to idle for the entire 50mins duration. i assumed you don't own a car.

    anyway, would you queue if your favorite camera brand is offering similar discounts on their products? or would you still say "you just don't get it" when you see people queuing waiting to get items at heavily discounted price?
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    This is the 2nd time Shell is on it and its downright irresponsible. Making money at the expense of road users.
    ok... tell me what is the right way to offer motorists this discount? get them to drive to their plant at some jurong island at tuas?

    i don't know but people who do not benefit from such discount will have 1,001 bad things to say about the event, but when they enjoy some benefit from it (although they themselves put others in some kind of inconvenience) they have nothing bad to say about the event.

    just my 3 cents worth.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    i think queuing for camera pose a different logistics problem.

    however i feel that if it would inconvenient other road users such as bus passengers and road users, i think it is a NO-NO.

    not sure if it would be better if the discount are to be given out between 12 midnight and 0600 hours. at least the inconvenience for other road users is less considering that there are less traffic usually between those hours. at least bus services dont run till that late.

    printing of coupons involves more cash for the campaign. additional costs are usually avoided.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    but having the discount period from midnight to 0600 hours incur additional cost too. you need to pay OT for additional hands to be around. what about the auxiliary police? you need them to be around too. wouldn't this period of time be inconvenient to people too as most would want to sleep.

    i agree that having a queue for camera related discount poses a different logistic issues. but then again, you don't expect car owners to bring along jerry cans to purchase fuel right? obviously they have to drive their car down to top up the fuel. and the only place where cars can queue up is on the roads.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    ok... tell me what is the right way to offer motorists this discount? get them to drive to their plant at some jurong island at tuas?

    i don't know but people who do not benefit from such discount will have 1,001 bad things to say about the event, but when they enjoy some benefit from it (although they themselves put others in some kind of inconvenience) they have nothing bad to say about the event.

    just my 3 cents worth.
    Worth a bit of discussion, how about not having such a big discount on a single day, but having a smaller discount, but over an extended period? From the comapany's POV, thats Lesser advertising impact?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    tell me something... if you are in their marketing department, what will you do to get the most out of the entire campaign? would you have done it differently? will doing it differently (over many days) create the same impact as a one-day campaign?

    think Spore Pools. will you see the same number of people queuing to buy toto on every mondays and thursdays as compared to the Hongbao draw? you think Esso, Caltex or SP would've done it differently?

    if you want to capture the market share you do it with a big bang approach. humans are like that. when they know that something on offer is for a limited time period, that something is more attractive than when it can be gotten over time. of course, price is a factor too.

    if Apple would have launch a one-day sale on all Macs just to still the thunder away from MS, which approach do you think would be more effective?
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    They should do the $1 per litre fuel 24hrs everyday....like that everybody can live happily ever after....
    HX300/ EPL6/ EOS60D/ 17-55mmF2.8IS/ 100mmF2.8Macro/ 135mmF2L/ 70-200mmF4LIS/ 300mmF4LIS

  11. #31

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    tell me something... if you are in their marketing department, what will you do to get the most out of the entire campaign? would you have done it differently? will doing it differently (over many days) create the same impact as a one-day campaign?

    think Spore Pools. will you see the same number of people queuing to buy toto on every mondays and thursdays as compared to the Hongbao draw? you think Esso, Caltex or SP would've done it differently?

    if you want to capture the market share you do it with a big bang approach. humans are like that. when they know that something on offer is for a limited time period, that something is more attractive than when it can be gotten over time. of course, price is a factor too.

    if Apple would have launch a one-day sale on all Macs just to still the thunder away from MS, which approach do you think would be more effective?
    Well, you asked what is the right way to offer motorists discounts?
    Can be from the POV from the motorists (and non-motorists) and the advertising dept of Shell...
    I have considered both in my posts.
    Not need to get so hot.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Yesterday was very lucky. I only que like 5 cars in front at about 1.30pm at the Shell station along Serangoon Rd before Lavender, probably due to the RED/Yellow bus lane just before the station. Behind was still empty and no excess jam. But later can feel it's building up. Start to get desperate. $40 full tank + the usual discount someMORE! I think 1st time ever for the past 10 years.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    the car can be turned off you know. it don't have to idle for the entire 50mins duration. i assumed you don't own a car.

    anyway, would you queue if your favorite camera brand is offering similar discounts on their products? or would you still say "you just don't get it" when you see people queuing waiting to get items at heavily discounted price?
    Your assumption is wrong Mr Mohgui. And no I would not queue that long for any discount of any sort. Maybe 15,20 minutes max. But 50 minutes? No.

    And yes I still don't get it. Not for 50 minutes.

    But to each their own.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In Paradise
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    tell me something... if you are in their marketing department, what will you do to get the most out of the entire campaign? would you have done it differently? will doing it differently (over many days) create the same impact as a one-day campaign?

    think Spore Pools. will you see the same number of people queuing to buy toto on every mondays and thursdays as compared to the Hongbao draw? you think Esso, Caltex or SP would've done it differently?

    if you want to capture the market share you do it with a big bang approach. humans are like that. when they know that something on offer is for a limited time period, that something is more attractive than when it can be gotten over time. of course, price is a factor too.

    if Apple would have launch a one-day sale on all Macs just to still the thunder away from MS, which approach do you think would be more effective?
    Yeah.... at the expense of other road users.... Nice...

    No $$, don't drive..... Simple....

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In Paradise
    Posts
    546

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeagga View Post
    Your assumption is wrong Mr Mohgui. And no I would not queue that long for any discount of any sort. Maybe 15,20 minutes max. But 50 minutes? No.

    And yes I still don't get it. Not for 50 minutes.

    But to each their own.
    not even for freakin 15 mins i won't.... hahaha....

    Honestly time is worth much more then savings of $30-$40....

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeagga View Post
    Your assumption is wrong Mr Mohgui. And no I would not queue that long for any discount of any sort. Maybe 15,20 minutes max. But 50 minutes? No.

    And yes I still don't get it. Not for 50 minutes.

    But to each their own.


    Let's calculate the savings. Without the promotion, the shell fuelsvae 98 is $1.767/litre. The promotion was $1/litre which is a 43.41% discount.

    For a full tank topup (assuming 50 litres), a driver would have save $38.35.

    Imagine Nikon having the same promotion at that hefty discount from 10am - 6pm on a certain day... therefore, at 43.41% discount,

    Nikon D90 (assuming $1600) will be $905.44
    Nikon D300 (assuming $3000) will be $1697.70

    How many of you will go queue up for the cameras at that discounted price? and how long are you willing to queue for, 1 hour, 2 hours?

    I think i would... even if it is an hour plus...

    But then again... now i am comparing on the same percentage basis (thus seems like a lot of savings for the cameras than the petrol).. A lot of people dont give a damn about $38.35 savings...

  17. #37

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    LoL. The queue near Lavender MRT station is not that bad. Around 400-600m only. Didn't know it is so cheap until I saw Shell petrol pricing at $1.

    I
    I am stuck in an expensive hobby, but yet not willing to save myself

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,923

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    I would rather they give out discount coupons to loyal customers where they can come anytime without causing a massive traffic jam and inconvenience to other road users. This sort of promotion just brings out the worse in people. Plus, a long queue with most cars idling isn't exactly friendly to environment nor is it economically friendly. How ironic.

    I remembered the last time they did this rubbish stunt had some drivers into a fist fight.

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    I would rather they give out discount coupons to loyal customers where they can come anytime without causing a massive traffic jam and inconvenience to other road users. This sort of promotion just brings out the worse in people. Plus, a long queue with most cars idling isn't exactly friendly to environment nor is it economically friendly. How ironic.

    I remembered the last time they did this rubbish stunt had some drivers into a fist fight.

    Agree.

    They just want to create a bang (discount coupons wont have the same effect)... In fact, the queue and jam is a publicity for them... Negative publicity or positive publicity, they are still publicity...

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Massive traffic problem in the making?

    Haha. couldn't turn left using the filter lane along amk ave 8 at the ave/ave1 junction ytd. Totally jammed up the left turn. Had to go a big round? Wonder what buses did to turn left... haha

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •