Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: CF Card Speed

  1. #1

    Default CF Card Speed

    Hi,

    Sometimes when I take photos, after a couple of shots, I have to wait a while before I can take more, especially after it wakes from power-saving mode. I know that's probably because of the camera buffer, but I'm wondering if my CF card is slow too. When I bought my DSLR, it came with two Kingston Elite Pro 133x 8gb CF cards. I did a Google search on them and it was supposedly giving 20mb/s transfer speed.

    http://www.kingston.com/flash/x/default.asp

    Isn't that relatively fast? I mean since a RAW file is roughly 10mb at 10mpx. So why is it that I have to wait like almost 2s? Is it the CF card or the camera?

    Are the Sandisk ones any faster? Looking from HWZ's pricelist, it states they have a min 9mb write speed. What are the CF cards you guys are using?

    I'm using a Sony A200.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Aimevous; 23rd October 2009 at 10:28 PM.
    Capture your memories, for they are not forever.

  2. #2
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    Good evening,

    They don't have one (yet) for the Sony A200 but here's a guide of where the Kingston Elite Pro stands:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9652


    Quote Originally Posted by Aimevous View Post
    Hi,

    Sometimes when I take photos, after a couple of shots, I have to wait a while before I can take more, especially after it wakes from power-saving mode. I know that's probably because of the camera buffer, but I'm wondering if my CF card is slow too. When I bought my DSLR, it came with two Kingston Elite Pro 133x 8gb CF cards. I did a Google search on them and it was supposedly giving 20mb/s transfer speed.

    http://www.kingston.com/flash/x/default.asp

    Isn't that relatively fast? I mean since a RAW file is roughly 10mb at 10mpx. So why is it that I have to wait like almost 2s? Is it the CF card or the camera?

    Are the Sandisk ones any faster? Looking from HWZ's pricelist, it states they have a min 9mb write speed. What are the CF cards you guys are using?

    I'm using a Sony A200.

    Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    So does this mean the CF card is not up to speed?

    Hmm.. any idea where I can find the prices of the faster cards?

    Thanks!
    Capture your memories, for they are not forever.

  4. #4

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    I suggest you go to MS Color and get a nice Sandisk Extreme III or IV.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bishan
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    I recently found out that there are faster CF speed beyond Extreme 4. Not 5 or 6.

    Just the single word EXTREME. More for Pros I guess or for newer cameras with Full HD Video capabilities. But prepare to fork out more $.
    Canon 1D mk3/ 16-35L II/ 35L / 135L / 85 f1.8/ 580EX II / Canon G11

  6. #6

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    Yeah, those are the very new ones from SanDisk but I guess unless your camera supports high-writing speeds like UDMA mode available in models like Canon 50D, 5D Mark II etc, it's pretty much pointless to get such cards. I find the Extreme III (30mb/s edition)to be the best value for price, speed and capacity - so much so I downgraded my Ducatis to Extreme IIIs.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    I believe the best value for money cards so far are the new Photofast ones. Even the 366x cards are UDMA.

  8. #8

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    I believe the best value for money cards so far are the new Photofast ones. Even the 366x cards are UDMA.
    And we know nothing about their reliability. So if you want to trust your images to an untrusted CF brand...
    Alpha

  9. #9
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    For reliability, nothing beats SanDisk.

  10. #10

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    Agree. I am using an a300 and the following is from a book by Shawn Barnett

    Because the Sony A300/A350 does not support UDMA (Ultra Direct Memory Access, a high speed memory addressing protocol), you donít need anything like a 266x or 300x memory card, because the camera cannot use all that speed. Itís probably limited to 133x write speed, so to save money, stick with something of that speed rating or a SanDisk Extreme III.

    Suggest you check your camera specifications

    Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    Yeah, those are the very new ones from SanDisk but I guess unless your camera supports high-writing speeds like UDMA mode available in models like Canon 50D, 5D Mark II etc, it's pretty much pointless to get such cards. I find the Extreme III (30mb/s edition)to be the best value for price, speed and capacity - so much so I downgraded my Ducatis to Extreme IIIs.
    α300, 18-250mm, 35mm f1.8

  11. #11

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    I recently found out that there are faster CF speed beyond Extreme 4. Not 5 or 6.

    Just the single word EXTREME. More for Pros I guess or for newer cameras with Full HD Video capabilities. But prepare to fork out more $.
    latest are the EXTREME PRO, so far so good , clears my camera buffer even when shooting RAW really2 fast .

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: CF Card Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    And we know nothing about their reliability. So if you want to trust your images to an untrusted CF brand...
    Untrusted CF brand? I recommend you do your own research before spouting out like that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •