Thread: Photography Shop in Chengdu?

Smile Photography Shop in Chengdu?

Will be spending a few days in Chengdu in Nov. Does anyone knows of any good reliable trustworthy photography shop in Chengdu? Looking for tripod, lens, accessories and maybe lensbaby or lomo/vivitar uws. :-)

Thanks!

Default Re: Photography Shop in Chengdu?

anyone? :-)

I was at Chengdu just last week. Asked the tour guide the same question. Impression is that Chengdu is not so a shopping paradise for photography things as Guangzhou or even Beijing

I had asked around before going to Chengdu and no, there seem to be no specialized photography shops there. And mind you, some places there sell at an exorbitant price. I asked at this particular shop situated in a complex selling computer stuff (just like SLS) and they sell the Canon 77mm lens cap at about 50 SGD!!
    Last edited by Randius; 28th October 2009 at 09:10 PM.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    I had asked around before going to Chengdu and no, there seem to be no specialized photography shops there. And mind you, some places there sell at an exorbitant price. I asked at this particular shop situated in a complex selling computer stuff (just like SLS) and they sell the Canon 77mm lens cap at about 50 SGD!!
    Dude, you have to bargin one. China is like that. They will whack a crazy price, you must act surprised and disgusted and offer SGD 3 in return. Then see what they say. And the bargin process begins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vee5 View Post
    Will be spending a few days in Chengdu in Nov. Does anyone knows of any good reliable trustworthy photography shop in Chengdu? Looking for tripod, lens, accessories and maybe lensbaby or lomo/vivitar uws. :-)

Thanks!
    Good luck! Things are generally more expensive in Chengdu as it is quite inland.

The major camera malls are in Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou. In these 3 cities, you will find many big malls all dedicated to camera equipment and accessories.

that place is to eat lah not to shop for photography

slurp slurp rabbit soup yum!

rabbit soup??????

Hmmm guess I have to try in Shanghai next year then. Anyone knows exactly where in Shanghai? :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vee5 View Post
    rabbit soup??????

Hmmm guess I have to try in Shanghai next year then. Anyone knows exactly where in Shanghai? :-)
    The 2 biggest are:

星光摄影器材城 (Starlight Camera Equipment Mall)
    鲁班路288号(近斜土路) (No.288, LuBan Road, near XieTu Road)
    This is close to XuJiaHui area.

and

环龙照相器材城 (Huan Long Camera equipment mall)
    秣陵路3号 上海火车站对面 (across the street from Shanghai Railway station)
    Orient Photo's HQ is in HuanLong and it is quite big there. You can ask any one in OP in SimLimSq for the exact unit number in the mall.

Very cheap stuffs in china. Fancier tripod FT-6662A with ball head combo is selling for 180 RMB (around 40 SGD). Nikon D90 kit is around 7000 RMB (around 1500 SGD). And Benro tripods are quite a bit cheaper in China. I recommend the Giottos ball heads, very good quality and very cheap. I prefer their ball heads over benro ones any day. Giottos (of the rocker air blower fame), is a Taiwan company with manufacturing in Shenzhen). Their tripods is also very good, but is just released only. Not yet available in most places. If you see one, grab it. Very good value for money. Velbon (japan brand) heads and tripods are also very cheap in china.

You need to know the Chinese names for the brands if you want to shop in China. Manfrotto (Man Fu Tu), Nikon (Ni kang), Canon (Jia Neng), Tokina (Tu Li), Sigma (Shi Ma), Tamron (Teng Long), Velbon (Jin Zhong), Gitzo (Jie Xin), Benro (Bai Nuo), Giottos (Jie Te) just to name a few. If you are not sure, just go to http://www.google.cn and type in the brand in english. You should see some links of the chinese equivalent. Also check prices on the internet Here.

Yes, rabbit meat is good. Especially the chongqing ma la rabbit hotpot.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 29th October 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Dude, you have to bargin one. China is like that. They will whack a crazy price, you must act surprised and disgusted and offer SGD 3 in return. Then see what they say. And the bargin process begins.
    Bargain? I tried and they refused to barge, not a dollar less and that goes for other stores in the same building. Totally disgusted and got mine at CP after the trip.

Blog Entries

Bargain? I tried and they refused to barge, not a dollar less and that goes for other stores in the same building. Totally disgusted and got mine at CP after the trip.
    Must be in the wrong building then. Certain things have to go a specific place to get. Which city is this in?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Must be in the wrong building then. Certain things have to go a specific place to get. Which city is this in?
    Chengdu.

Blog Entries

Chengdu.
    Why did I ask?... Camera equipment are so bloody expensive in Sichuan. I saw a D90 there selling for a 35% premium over Shanghai prices. Crazy.