Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Family

  1. #1
    Member naviros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    87

    Default Family



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like some advice on how to improve on the composition, exposure, and any other general comments on the above. Don't hold back on those constructive comments! ^.^

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I'm generally looking into improving my photo-taking skills. Would like to take photos of people I around me whom I love, and put into magnificent print.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    More details on my blog, but basically I was working on a theme of "Red". That was until I saw this sight, and thought, thats sort of the picture I'd like to walk into.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I personally felt like I was the father figure, wanting to walk towards my wife and child, and just enjoy the pleasant evening with them.
    Last edited by naviros; 28th October 2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: broken link

  2. #2
    Member naviros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Family

    bumpz... no wonder no critique... broken link for image... haha...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Family

    Let me start the ball rolling,

    Exposure looks fine but picture is kind of flat - maybe bump up the saturation and contrast?

    Not sure how the picture portrays "father figure". The rather dull trees and grass does not add much to what you want to portray. It would be much better if you take a portrait of your family beaming at you. Or maybe your kid running towards you hands with open arms while your wife looks on lovingly... Just some ideas.

    And when your family occupies such a small part of the frame, it gives me the impression that it is seen from the viewpoint of an outsider. Consider facing them instead of having their back against you.

    Just some comments - hope you don't mind.

  4. #4
    Member Rendell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: Family

    Hi Naviros,

    My interpretation:

    Composition

    1. Nice shot on the mother and child.

    2. The tall tree standing at the middle is taking away attention of the viewers. It is best you plan your focus point and shoot or crop according.

    3. The background seems kinda dull. So you may consider cropping off the horizon and just leaving the green and the 2 subjects.

    4. Normally back view shot would look lonesome and slightly on the negative side, so it would be better to approach from the front. Then if you are lucky enough, they smile at you, the fatherly idea will come in.

    Technical

    1. The sky is too bright - use a filter.

    2. The corners of the image are blur, probably due to vignetting. You are pushing your lens a bit too far.

    3. Adjust the Hue/Saturation slightly to bring the colour out.

    I personally like the heart warming captured, the idea is there.

    By the way, nice write ups in your blog and happy photographing.


  5. #5
    Member naviros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Family

    Quote Originally Posted by wkteoh View Post
    Let me start the ball rolling,
    And when your family occupies such a small part of the frame, it gives me the impression that it is seen from the viewpoint of an outsider. Consider facing them instead of having their back against you.

    Just some comments - hope you don't mind.
    Haha... Critique accepted. Sometimes I wish I had a 70-200mm f/2.8. I do agree that a frontal shot would be nicer, was probably hoping to have something from the back (change in perspective) yet still have the same effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
    Composition
    2. The tall tree standing at the middle is taking away attention of the viewers. It is best you plan your focus point and shoot or crop according.
    Didn't really notice it until you mentioned it. Hahaha...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
    3. The background seems kinda dull. So you may consider cropping off the horizon and just leaving the green and the 2 subjects.
    I thought of doing that, but it seemed like I'd probably have to convert it to b/w for the impact. Just green with the two is somewhat a little too plain. Where would you cut off if it were up to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
    1. The sky is too bright - use a filter.
    Hmmm... I was using a UV filter, but I guess that wasn't enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
    2. The corners of the image are blur, probably due to vignetting. You are pushing your lens a bit too far.
    Hahaha... sorry for being a noob, but whats the solution to that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
    I personally like the heart warming captured, the idea is there.

    By the way, nice write ups in your blog and happy photographing.

    Thank you! Appreciate the comments people! ^.^

  6. #6
    Member NeTHaCk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: Family

    Quote Originally Posted by naviros View Post
    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like some advice on how to improve on the composition, exposure, and any other general comments on the above. Don't hold back on those constructive comments! ^.^

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I'm generally looking into improving my photo-taking skills. Would like to take photos of people I around me whom I love, and put into magnificent print.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    More details on my blog, but basically I was working on a theme of "Red". That was until I saw this sight, and thought, thats sort of the picture I'd like to walk into.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I personally felt like I was the father figure, wanting to walk towards my wife and child, and just enjoy the pleasant evening with them.
    erm.. actually if you do zoom in, its a mother and daughter/son rather than father

    try a square crop..top left tree is kinda distracting.

    maybe a B/W effect would look nice.. added film grain to give a film look ? That's just me .

    honestly the colour is very very dull. either adjust the contrast, or filter it to B/W

    good try
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

  7. #7
    Member Rendell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: Family

    Quote Originally Posted by naviros View Post
    Where would you cut off if it were up to you?
    If up to me? Personally, I like simplicity.

    Perhaps something like this



    Quote Originally Posted by naviros View Post
    Hahaha... sorry for being a noob, but whats the solution to that?
    True cure for vignetting is to buy a better lens.
    But you can try:
    1. removing your UV filter
    2. Zoom in slightly
    3. Reduce aperture size
    4. Use software

  8. #8
    Member naviros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Family

    Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    erm.. actually if you do zoom in, its a mother and daughter/son rather than father
    Haha... I think you misunderstood me, I felt like the father, looking at mother and daughter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rendell View Post
    Perhaps something like this

    Wow... thats REALLY saturated. Hahaha... But I do like the perspective.

    New purchases will be a huge obstacle. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the advice ^.^

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •