Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to turn the background into BW while the subject is in color?

Default How to turn the background into BW while the subject is in color?

I would like to try that too, using photoshop 7.0. Do i have to create layers or is there any other way?

start with a colour image, then convert it to black and white in whatever way you want... there are many ways...

then paint back the colour portions with the history brush tool.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    start with a colour image, then convert it to black and white in whatever way you want... there are many ways...

then paint back the colour portions with the history brush tool.

Hm...tell me step by step, if you don't mind as i am a noob in photoshop...

1. open the picture. it should be in color
    2. press shift-crl-U. this is to desaturate the picture. makeing it b&w
    3. select the history brush tool. you gotta find it on the tool palatte.
    4. on the history palatte, check (select) the history step which says "open". this will enable you to paint this history onto the current black and white picture

5. paint on the subjects you want to be color. you will be painting the selected history (which is a color picture) on the the current.... of course if you paint the whole picture, the whole picture will be color just like the original.

there are better ways to make a picture b and w but its too long to describe there...just stick with this for now... the concept is the same with wat ever method you do the bw conversion...

4. on the history palatte, check (select) the history step which says "open". this will enable you to paint this history onto the current black and white picture

5. paint on the subjects you want to be color. you will be painting the selected history (which is a color picture) on the the current.... of course if you paint the whole picture, the whole picture will be color just like the original.

there are better ways to make a picture b and w but its too long to describe there...just stick with this for now... the concept is the same with wat ever method you do the bw conversion...

i also cant get it by what u mean. Can you kindly explain in more details for the benefits of our newbie bros here which include me ?
    thanks

follow step one to step five...
    sorry no visuals...
    its as specific as can be already i think...
    you just need to LOCATE the various tools and palattes that i mention...they are found around the photoshop screen...

follow step one to step five...
    sorry no visuals...
    its as specific as can be already i think...
    you just need to LOCATE the various tools and palattes that i mention...they are found around the photoshop screen...

i dun understand step 5

Quote Originally Posted by video_guy
    i dun understand step 5
    paint means to use the mouse, click the left button over the area you want painted...

Thanks, so..is there a way to paint the subject without accidently paint over the background or another subject?

My first try using SHOWTIME's method. I believe you can't use the colour mode conversion to b&w, it'll lost all colour history.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsiang

My first try using SHOWTIME's method. I believe you can't use the colour mode conversion to b&w, it'll lost all colour history.
    you can use the color mode conversion... just convert back to either cmyk colour or rgb color before doing the history brush thingy...

Quote Originally Posted by StealthEagle
    Thanks, so..is there a way to paint the subject without accidently paint over the background or another subject?
    zoom in. and use a finer brush... how do do that? press the [ key to make the brush smaller and ] for vice versa

Another way

1. Select the subject by lassoing it

2. Invert the selection so that background is selected

3. Desaturate

3. select the history brush tool....
    Clear and detailed instructions showtime ... thanks! ... didn't bother to experiment on the use of the new history brush and wud haf only known the lasso'ing/layering method if not for ur reply ...

hi!
    i need your help aft trying for more then an hr...can i use photoshop element 2 to do it..cos aft follow step 2 , i cant any history brush on the tool palatte.

there is a slightly faster way ONLY if your subject is of different colour from the rest of the picture.. for example your subject is a white flower with purple center and the rest is green leaves...

1) Crtl-U to bring up the Hue/Saturation menu

2) Beside the EDIT is a pull down menu with the various colour schemes

3) Select the color u want to black out, then adjust the saturation to 0. adjust the lightness will make the area more... well, black or white, so it's up to you. if you want it to remain B/W then don't touch the hue - it changes the colour althogether.

If there are little areas beside your subject that has the same color, you can use the lasso tool to target that area and click CTL-SHIFT-U to make it b/w.

I've been using the above method and although sometime it takes time and effort, the effect is good... will post a picture (once I figured out how.. I'm new to this board lol).

But thanks to showtime who shared his method... I would try yours one day ^^

Quote Originally Posted by stanley76
    hi!
    i need your help aft trying for more then an hr...can i use photoshop element 2 to do it..cos aft follow step 2 , i cant any history brush on the tool palatte.

Pick Selection Brush Tool(A) from the toolbox. In the option bar, select a soft round 100 pixels brush from the brush pop-up palette ans set Mode to "mask".

Click and drag the selection brush over the area where you want to preserve the color. You will find that the area painted over turns red. Doesn't matter if the red area extend out of the area.

Now change the Mode in the option bar to "Selection."
    The mask red area disapperas and a selection border appears around the unmasked areas.

Change the size of the brush to 27 pixels in the option bar. Using the circle, push the lines around the edges inwards around the areas.

Now select [Enhance]-[Adjust color] - [Remove color] from the menu bar and presto....there you have it!!

To aply USM to the colored area...select [Select] - [Inverse] then [Filter] - [Sharpen] - [Unsharp mask]

To lighten or darken the b/w area....select [Select] - [Inverse] then [Enhance] - [Adjust Brightness/Contrast] - [Levels] then play around with the middle arrow.

Hope this help

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Lion king
    Pick Selection Brush Tool(A) from the toolbox. In the option bar, select a soft round 100 pixels brush from the brush pop-up palette ans set Mode to "mask".

Click and drag the selection brush over the area where you want to preserve the color. You will find that the area painted over turns red. Doesn't matter if the red area extend out of the area.

Now change the Mode in the option bar to "Selection."
    The mask red area disapperas and a selection border appears around the unmasked areas.

Change the size of the brush to 27 pixels in the option bar. Using the circle, push the lines around the edges inwards around the areas.

Now select [Enhance]-[Adjust color] - [Remove color] from the menu bar and presto....there you have it!!

To aply USM to the colored area...select [Select] - [Inverse] then [Filter] - [Sharpen] - [Unsharp mask]

To lighten or darken the b/w area....select [Select] - [Inverse] then [Enhance] - [Adjust Brightness/Contrast] - [Levels] then play around with the middle arrow.

Hope this help

[IMG][/IMG]
    hi... thanks for your info.
    but i really want to knoe are you using ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2
    as what you have very clearly explained...thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast