Thread: Colourspace setting... which to use ?

Default Colourspace setting... which to use ?

Hi Guys,

I have a few queries about colourspace .....

I'm using a D100.

1) What is the benefits of Adobe RGB ?

2) Which setting should I use on my D100 ? sRGB I , Adobe RGB or sRGB II ?

3) Which corresponding setting should I use on Adobe Photoshop CS ?

4) Will these setting affect the overall colour when I Lab Print it ? as in Adobe sRGB appearing similar when the cam is set at sRGB ?

5) As I have been told, web browsers use sRGB, so I shld convert to sRGB before posting online. When converting, will images lose punch and colour like when I see Adobe sRGB images on browsers ?

6) I dont see sRGB in Photoshop CS, only sRGB ICE9166-2.1 , is this the same ?

7) When I upload my pictures from the cam to my comp, it appears as 8 bit in PS. Is this normal and should I convert it to 16bit in PS ? I have no idea what the bits mean.

I hope those who know can contribute to my better understanding of this complex issue. I am a film user, so the learning curve is pretty steep at the start. FOr now... I shoot in sRGB III and hope for the better.

ok here are my settings

indoors (events, people)
    sRGB I with tone compensation to low contrast

outdoors (scenery, flowers, sunrise etc)
    sRGB III with tone compensaton to high contrast

i dont use adobe RGB

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang
    Hi Guys,

I have a few queries about colourspace .....

I'm using a D100.

I have no idea

Since day 1, sRGB III (3rd option in the colour profile)

I've set mine to sRGB in both PS 7 and PS CS.

4) Will these setting affect the overall colour when I Lab Print it ? as in Adobe sRGB appearing similar when the cam is set at sRGB ?
    I believe so, I used to print with Adobe RGB, didn't get a near colour reproduction, after speaking to the folks I send printing to, they advised to use sRGB in Adobe instead. And I did.

5) As I have been told, web browsers use sRGB, so I shld convert to sRGB before posting online. When converting, will images lose punch and colour like when I see Adobe sRGB images on browsers ?
    No idea... sorry. But if you're shooting in sRGBI or II there's no need for conversion.

I've forgotten, I need to start my laptop to check. Sorry.

7) When I upload my pictures from the cam to my comp, it appears as 8 bit in PS. Is this normal and should I convert it to 16bit in PS ? I have no idea what the bits mean.
    The bits are the number/depth of colours it can go to in a pixel. 2^16 gives more 'dynamic' range than 2^8. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope those who know can contribute to my better understanding of this complex issue. I am a film user, so the learning curve is pretty steep at the start. FOr now... I shoot in sRGB III and hope for the better.
    I don't know, but this is what I understand, hope it helps.

Hope this helps...

Adobe RGB is an editing color space (others are ProRGB, wide gamut RGB etc). It means that it has bigger gamut (in simple english, it is capable of reproducing more shades of colors). It is used for editing your master copies of images on the monitor. After you are satisfied with your editied images, you softproof them for the printer on which you plan to get prints. Printer color space are smaller than editing color spaces.

The benefit of using Editing Color spaces is that your editied images are independent of pritner's color spaces and can be softproofed for any printer.

Here is a quote from www.dpreview

Qutoe :
    The D100 provides three color modes, Mode I and III are both mapped to the sRGB color space and so images shot in these modes will look correct immediately and can be used as is. Mode III has been designed for use for nature and landscape shots, it provides richer greens and a more natural balance of other colours.

Mode II is mapped to the Adobe RGB color space, this provides for a wider color gamut but will more than likely require additional processing if you are shooting for an sRGB output. Many professional photographers and publications have standardized on Adobe RGB and so the fact that the D100 supports this color space natively is a big plus for the camera.

Unquote

I would recommend to use Adobe RGB to make your your master images independent of printers.

when you open the image in photoshop , use embedded profile i.e which ever you set in your D100

Editing Color Spaces and Print color space are two different things. Print Color Space are smaller than Editing Color Spaces.

I have experience with Fuji Frontier Machines

Fuji Frontier 340 color space extend a little beyound sRGB in yellow & Blue but within adobe RGB color space. Therefore if set D100 in Adobe RGB, edit image in Adobe RGB and print on Fuji Frontier 340, you will get more saturated yello & green compared to if you capture image in sRGB, edit in sRGB and print in sRGB.

Yes, for web you should convert your images from master images (adobe RGB) to sRGB before posting.

IEC sRGB standard is IEC61966-2.1

If you are importing jpeg, they will appear 8bits in Photoshop.

I hope those who know can contribute to my better understanding of this complex issue. I am a film user, so the learning curve is pretty steep at the start. FOr now... I shoot in sRGB III and hope for the better.[/QUOTE]