Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Social Services

  1. #1
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Social Services

    There is this lady at Tampines MRT who begs with her daughter. I notice her leg looks gangrene. Does anybody know who I should contact so that she can get medical attention?

  2. #2
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Social Services

    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 22nd October 2009 at 12:03 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  3. #3
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    There is this lady at Tampines MRT who begs with her daughter. I notice her leg looks gangrene. Does anybody know who I should contact so that she can get medical attention?
    I think you can try the Medical Social Welfare at SGH.
    http://www.sgh.com.sg/MedicalSpecial...ocialServices/
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  4. #4

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    There is this lady at Tampines MRT who begs with her daughter. I notice her leg looks gangrene. Does anybody know who I should contact so that she can get medical attention?
    i dun know who to contact. Maybe if u stay around there and see her again then bring her to Polyclinic lor? then from there the social welfare will come into as she might not able to pay for the long term medication?

    The 1st visit you pay for her if you dont mind
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  5. #5
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: Social Services

    Called Tampines town council they refer me to SMRT. Called SMRT can't get through. Called NCSS and they are refering me to Tampines family center. Hopefully something can be done.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    Called Tampines town council they refer me to SMRT. Called SMRT can't get through. Called NCSS and they are refering me to Tampines family center. Hopefully something can be done.
    Don't bother with Town Councils and SMRT. They are a bunch of id**ts who will not take up the responsibility. The best would be to bring them to CGH for the doctos to examine her condition and refer to the Social Service workers there, but that may be a bit difficult as the lady may not be agreeable or willing to do so.

    Otherwise, you can relate this matter to the Social Service Council and press directly to create awareness and put some pressure on the Social Service Council to take action.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  7. #7

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Don't bother with Town Councils and SMRT. They are a bunch of id**ts who will not take up the responsibility. The best would be to bring them to CGH for the doctos to examine her condition and refer to the Social Service workers there, but that may be a bit difficult as the lady may not be agreeable or willing to do so.

    Otherwise, you can relate this matter to the Social Service Council and press directly to create awareness and put some pressure on the Social Service Council to take action.
    Erm.. I don't think it's fair to call the Town Council and SMRT a bunch of id**ts. Their job is not to be a kind-hearted samaritan and offer assistance to every tissue seller that ply their goods outside the station.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

  8. #8
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    There is this lady at Tampines MRT who begs with her daughter. I notice her leg looks gangrene. Does anybody know who I should contact so that she can get medical attention?
    lady begging or lady selling tissue??

  9. #9

    Default Re: Social Services

    One of the best approaches is to bring her directly to a polyclinic or hospital and inform them of what you suspect (welfare case etc).

    A lot would depend on whether the individual wants to receive help.

    For various reason, many people are afraid to seek or accept assistance, and for someone not familiar with bureaucratic practices, something as normal and simple (to us) as filling in a form, or providing the necessary information may seem daunting and prohibitive.

    It's a good deed you want to do and I hope it all works out for this lady and the child.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    lost in translation
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    lady begging or lady selling tissue??
    this lady has been selling tissue there for years... wander if the daughter goes to school?
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

  11. #11
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    Erm.. I don't think it's fair to call the Town Council and SMRT a bunch of id**ts. Their job is not to be a kind-hearted samaritan and offer assistance to every tissue seller that ply their goods outside the station.
    I agree that their job is not to be a samaritan, however they just seem to push the responsibilities whenever something happens. I remember seeing an aunty fell as she was exiting from one of the stations and a staff who walked pass the lady just can't be bothered and continue walking after glancing at the lady. No other staff came to help and it was the commuters who helped the aunty to her feet. Someone went to the station control and apparently was telling the staff about it as he was pointing to the aunty and nothing happened, still no staff came to assist.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  12. #12
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    this lady has been selling tissue there for years... wander if the daughter goes to school?
    dis lady happened to stay ard my area lor...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Don't bother with Town Councils and SMRT. They are a bunch of id**ts who will not take up the responsibility. The best would be to bring them to CGH for the doctos to examine her condition and refer to the Social Service workers there, but that may be a bit difficult as the lady may not be agreeable or willing to do so.

    Otherwise, you can relate this matter to the Social Service Council and press directly to create awareness and put some pressure on the Social Service Council to take action.
    fren.. dun call people tat lah, SMRT are working people like most of us ... do u know that SMRT staff are not supposed to attend matters outside the station premises by regulations... if they are absent from the control office and should if accidents occur... they will be responsible for passenger safety, however they can help call Police or ambulances from their control office phones

    If u saw one, maybe just inform MCYS or even nearby police post, they had specialists and resources to attend such cases.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 23rd October 2009 at 11:22 AM.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    lost in translation
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    dis lady happened to stay ard my area lor...
    oh... erm... near the interchange?

    recently walked past the interchange and seems like a lot of people selling tissues, etc...

    do not remember type of scene few years back...
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    337

    Talking Re: Social Services

    Singapore still got this kind of things happen in our daily life

    Yap I also notice that about a year ago during my ITC on my back home around 6pm, I saw her with a girl age about less than 15 years old near the traffic light of Tam MRT Station ops Tam Mall.

    This year end of Aug till mid Sep during my ITC period again same time and same on my way home, I still saw them at the same area.

    Very sad to see this in Singapore

    TS, you are a Kind heated guy that I respect you for your courage to start this thread

    I hope there are more Kind Heated people like you will help the poor.

    Best Regards, Yao
    Last edited by yao86; 23rd October 2009 at 10:57 PM.
    Under ©onstruction!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    I agree that their job is not to be a samaritan, however they just seem to push the responsibilities whenever something happens. I remember seeing an aunty fell as she was exiting from one of the stations and a staff who walked pass the lady just can't be bothered and continue walking after glancing at the lady. No other staff came to help and it was the commuters who helped the aunty to her feet. Someone went to the station control and apparently was telling the staff about it as he was pointing to the aunty and nothing happened, still no staff came to assist.
    I don't think SMRT staff will shirk away from responsibilities. Do u know that SMRT has a set of protocols to follow whenever fainting incidents happen? I've worked with SMRT before for a wide range of charity and community events and I've seen with my own eyes many times how they work when incidents happened, even when it's not within their property. They don't push responsibilities away like u said.

    In fact they don't just donate money and walk away like most corporates do. They are a bunch of nice people who genuinely get their hands dirty and do their work and contribute to the community. I feel they are one of the few companies who really live and breathe corporate social responsibility.

    Lastly, I don't work and have never worked for SMRT. Anyway I guess there are people out there who are unhappy with fare hikes and thus direct their anger at SMRT and many unfair statements against them.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

  17. #17
    Member smtan24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: Social Services

    It's not about kindness. I don't think people should be living like that. Hopefully the social service can fix this issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by yao86 View Post
    Singapore still got this kind of things happen in our daily life

    Yap I also notice that about a year ago during my ITC on my back home around 6pm, I saw her with a girl age about less than 15 years old near the traffic light of Tam MRT Station ops Tam Mall.

    This year end of Aug till mid Sep during my ITC period again same time and same on my way home, I still saw them at the same area.

    Very sad to see this in Singapore

    TS, you are a Kind heated guy that I respect you for your courage to start this thread

    I hope there are more Kind Heated people like you will help the poor.

    Best Regards, Yao

  18. #18
    Member Rendell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: Social Services

    Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    It's not about kindness. I don't think people should be living like that. Hopefully the social service can fix this issue.
    No body dares takes the first move ...

  19. #19

    Default Re: Social Services

    I've actually asked if she's seen a doctor... she's quite reluctant to speak but I have seen her hold a conversation once with another auntie a year or so back (the only time I've seen her speak). But that was before her leg was like that.

  20. #20
    Senior Member zhapchit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: Social Services

    think there was a report on her in the evening papers few days ago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •