Thread: Prime lens and VR???

Default Prime lens and VR???

Hi all, was just wondering, i have not seen a nikon or canon prime lens with VR/IS(correct me if i am wrong). But if i were to use a sony alpha camera with a prime lens there would be VR. Isn't this a disadvantage for the nikon and canon users? Or is VR not required for a prime lens? Thanks.

Default Re: Prime lens and VR???

this is one

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105vr.htm

and there are the 200 f2 IS, 300 IS, 400 VR/IS, 500 VR/IS, 600 VR/IS.

Not only that, you get image stabiliser when using 3rd party lenses as well.

Anyway , I think some Macro lenses have VR/IS on them.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Not only that, you get image stabiliser when using 3rd party lenses as well.

Anyway , I think some Macro lenses have VR/IS on them.
    Yes, true too. Some disadvantage for canon and nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl1987 View Post
    Hi all, was just wondering, i have not seen a nikon or canon prime lens with VR/IS(correct me if i am wrong). But if i were to use a sony alpha camera with a prime lens there would be VR. Isn't this a disadvantage for the nikon and canon users? Or is VR not required for a prime lens? Thanks.
    I never need VR anyway

Anyway, the rationale for manufacturers not putting VR in most prime lenses is that they're fast enough not to need VR

50mm f1.4 is very fast. Even @ ISO100 and f2, you can shoot 1/1000 in daylight. Even you keep shaking the camera, you will get perfect image.

A few Nikon prime lenses with VR that I can name offhand:

AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
    AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
    AF-S VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED
    AF-S VR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED
    AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
    AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR

Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    50mm f1.4 is very fast. Even @ ISO100 and f2, you can shoot 1/1000 in daylight. Even you keep shaking the camera, you will get perfect image.
    Ok thanks for all your replies. So i guess there is not much difference whether there is VR or not with a 50mm/1.8 then. But if i want to get more of the background into focus won't i need to set the aperture to f9 or higher? Then VR would help won't it? Hopefully I am not asking stupid qns.

Ok thanks for all your replies. So i guess there is not much difference whether there is VR or not with a 50mm/1.8 then. But if i want to get more of the background into focus won't i need to set the aperture to f9 or higher? Then VR would help won't it? Hopefully I am not asking stupid qns.
    Depends on the level of light, your ISO and the resulting shutter speed.
    Alpha

That's true...

but generally, for me, if i needed that kinda DoF, i'd probably use a tripod, haha.