Thread: Taking advantage of our Singapore

Default Taking advantage of our Singapore

Just happen to see this and thought if I could share. Apparently she's on our subsidised education that said goodbye once she's eaten all the cherries. Besides that, she proudly publicise the act on China's National TV. Click on the video link below the second photo on the website. Sometimes I feel we're shooting ourselves in the foot when we say we want to be competitive and yet allows others to take away our competencies at our full cost.

China woman renounces S'pore PR status on China National TV
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Default Re: Taking advantage of our Singapore

This again??? This "news" is already 1-2 weeks old. Why re-hash it now?
    Alpha

It's different when you actually hear what she says in the video.

We complain when they come, we complain when they leave...

It's like a plot and plunder when they come and take what could have been meant for the more deserving and left with our precious.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    We complain when they come, we complain when they leave...

Some time ago MM said that

we know that many of these foreign talents use Singapore as a stepping stone to move to a "better" country but many will not make the cut. 2nd best is good enough for us.

i find the singaporean crowd quite hard to please. anyway, people will always want the best for themselves. many of us too, we leave for better shores. i am also looking at other patches of grass now as this patch doesnt seem so green anymore. just looking.... :P
    Last edited by happyfrog; 21st October 2009 at 04:35 PM.

Media definitely likes to spin things...

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    i find the singaporean crowd quite hard to please. anyway, people will always want the best for themselves. many of us too, we leave for better shores. i am also looking at other patches of grass now as this patch doesnt seem so green anymore. just looking.... :P

just to add on ? =X
    Look at this. Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew speaking. He asked this question and she....

http://www.razor.tv/site/servlet/seg...ews/37840.html

55th second(you intend to stay?) and 1.24th min(do you have a boyfriend)
    Last edited by jonathan920; 21st October 2009 at 06:05 PM.
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan920 View Post
    just to add on ? =X
    Look at this. Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew speaking. He asked this question and she....

http://www.razor.tv/site/servlet/seg...ews/37840.html

55th second(you intend to stay?) and 1.24th min(do you have a boyfriend)
    hahahahaa! funny!

I found this mentality utterly disgusting, and at the end of the day, will do the place these people claim to love more harm.

If Singapore claims to be an advance and "enlighten" society, it ought to strive to educate and train the best and the brightest. Some will stay, many will leave. However, the net benefit is, Singapore will have a wide network of ex-student who benefited from it's generosity, and the payback from some, will be long and profitable.

The petty and short sighted scheme to require these student to stay, and to bind them with a bond, how many end up staying after the bond is served? When they many many leave with a bad taste in their mouth. In the long run, would they do anything to repay Singapore? No. In their mind, their years of servitude serving out the bond is the pay back. How short sighted is Singapore!

I am hiring a few junior position. My HR manager commented on one of the candidate, since she is still under the shadow of her bond, we do not need to offer her a market/competitive package. OR, the market/competitive package for these foreign student serving out their bond is lower.

I think I am getting old. I did not slam the HR guy over his head. Maybe, he is the representative of what is wrong here in Singapore.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Gosh.. PRC bashing again??
    Singaporeans really has the highest percentage of myopic people around..
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    I feel we're shooting ourselves in the foot when we say we want to be competitive and yet allows others to take away our competencies at our full cost.
    Competencies? What competencies? You mean like Johns Hopkins, MIT, Harvard competencies? Well, trust me, when the day comes when Singapore really has something like a Johns Hopkins, EVERYONE, will be charged the full cost to the hilt until you'll have to mortgage half your kidney to afford the bloody school fees.

Singapore is in the process of BUILDING these targeted competencies. To be competent, you can't hide your head in the sand and live in an Amish-like mono-culture community. Out of the thousands that come, only one or two good ones are needed to give impetus to the programme. Please, ah-gong has already done his maths. So don't you worry that Singapore is "losing out", jeezzz...

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    plot and plunder when they come and take what could have been meant for the more deserving
    Deserving??? I'm quite curious to hear your definition of "deserving". In life, NO ONE is deserving if he or she hasn't fought for it. Vice versa, if you, or your kakis have fought hard for something, achieved a high caliber of results, and still was DENIED the piece of the pie because of, oh I don't know, a foreign talent, I'd very much like to know.

All these blah blah blahs and whinging I hear are symptoms of people who are too entrenched in their comfort zone, and worried about their nice little boat getting rocked. WAKE UP! In life, the damn boat always rocks, and it's how we adapt.

Goshhh...

[EDIT] P.S., to the guy who doesn't mind being "2nd best", sorry, tiny country nations like ours that don't have any natural resources whatsoever don't have the luxury to be 2nd best. You're either relevant, or you're old news.
    Last edited by Gunbucker; 22nd October 2009 at 02:23 AM.

I think we'll need to have some kind of empirical data to see if this model of foreign talent sponsorship works for the nation. We can't do any cost benefit analysis on the policy nor can we review the effectiveness of such programs in terms of its alignment to the publicised objectives (ie. being competitive).

Heavily subsidise facilities such as public housing and education had being our country's strategic capability leading to competencies. It is heavy because we the public paid for it. When I said 'deserving', I mean those who paid their dues should be offered an opportunity rather than giving it away to those who has not.

I'm also curious why our facilities are modelled on first world countries but our labour returns are competing with the third world.

It's pointless to say someone did the maths and surely it's going to work. The fact now is that we see no real results except negative impacts.

If someone has some data or research specific to Singapore on this particular subject, please share. I will also like to know if things are actually working or not (or I need to change my opinion).
    Last edited by eyes; 22nd October 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Actually i think the main culprit is not the foreign labor taking a chunk out of the locals. it is the foreign companies taking a chunk out of the local and foreign labor.

some companies pay very low taxes or no taxes at all! while we pay our taxes. the government is using us to subsidize the MNC and foreign firms most of us work for.

Welcoming new Citizens and Permanent Residents.

MICA to develop a welcome kit for new citizens

I think that it's natural for people to fight for the best for themselves. You want a better education, you want a better job, you want more money etc... Being more open minded about how to achieve that aim, as long as it's not illegal, is not something that's wrong. It's just something that lots of people look down upon because they themselves might not be trying their best/aiming for the best to work towards their goals. That's the path to success, isn't it? Why take the winding road when the straighter road leads you to your goal?