Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for SDXC?

Default Are you ready for SDXC?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/09010803sdxc.asp

Soon memory card will be in TB which means that some brands may need a new file system or a way to create a system that allows near infinite number of clips and folders.
    Last edited by Reportage; 21st October 2009 at 12:36 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Default Re: Are you ready for SDXC?

woooo.. 2TB SD and microSD..
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

2TB?
    My largest capacity SD card (don't own SDHC card yet) for photography is still 2Gb.

Lucky I didn't buy SDHC card reader yet.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

walau... my 1TB hard disk is miserably huge as compared to the 1TB microSDXC card.

I thought SDXC is just at the specification stage and there is no commercial products available at the moment. This is a massive storage starting from 32GB and up to 2TB.

The current SDHC standard has products up to 32GB at speed up to 600x or 90MB/s
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

WOW!!

Well, actually those are just theoretical storage.
    In practice, it is often technologically-prohibitive. Even if it is made, imagine the cost. Should be in the upwards of hundreds if not thousands.

Remember, Memory stick Micro(M2) also have a theoretical maximum of 128 GB, but we dont see one around. 2 TB....probably have to wait for at least 2 more years...But with so much research in flash technologies this day, who knows.

THis is amazing!!!
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

WOW! and the price must be $10/GB or somewhere there.
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by whattokingu View Post
    Well, actually those are just theoretical storage.
    In practice, it is often technologically-prohibitive. Even if it is made, imagine the cost. Should be in the upwards of hundreds if not thousands.

Remember, Memory stick Micro(M2) also have a theoretical maximum of 128 GB, but we dont see one around. 2 TB....probably have to wait for at least 2 more years...But with so much research in flash technologies this day, who knows.
    hard to say...even SSD hdds although expensive are being snapped up.

opens up more option for camera, SXDC for space or CF for the speed (currently?).
    Last edited by Reportage; 22nd October 2009 at 12:37 AM.

I guess another thing to note for SD technology, is the read/write number limitations before the physical flash media starts to break down...

Let's assume the limit is writing 1000 times... So if you take 1000 photos separately on a 64GB SD, you'll end up with a damaged card before you even finish filling it up with pictures...

That's one big thing tat's holding me back from using SD cards for DSLRs...

I still prefer the CF... More hardy...
    Minolta A|Sony E|Canon EF/S|Hasselblad V

you gotta be kidding me!

Can buy one 2 TB and hold all my movies and dramas.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    WOW!!
    Another WOW! from me!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneKoh View Post
    I guess another thing to note for SD technology, is the read/write number limitations before the physical flash media starts to break down...

Let's assume the limit is writing 1000 times... So if you take 1000 photos separately on a 64GB SD, you'll end up with a damaged card before you even finish filling it up with pictures...

It's more of write cycle. You can write, rewrite about 1000 cycles.

And the actualy no. varies. In practice, with a higher capacity card, the no. of cycles should be less, since each memory unit is now smaller....

I think all the flash memory card uses solid state memory technology which suffers from the same problem. CF card is bigger, so technically it should only have more cycles compared to SD.

Is it compatible with our cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    depends on the camera file system i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Probably not with the current crop of cameras. But when the technology is launched, i guess manufacturers would include it. It's a hardware thing.

Just like when SDHC came out, you cant use it on SD slot.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneKoh View Post

I think the new standards are introduced in anticipation of higher resolution cameras, rather than letting us fill more of the current resolution pictures.

Just a couple of years ago, one gigabyte was king. Nowadays, we don't use it as much simply because we use higher megapixel cameras. Just compare the file sizes of the 1Ds Mk 1 and Mk 3. So to those who are worrying not being able to fill up the ultra capacity cards, your fears are unfounded.

I am more interested in making 1TB SSDs via SDXC rather than popping them in Cameras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast