View Poll Results: Do you give out RAW files to TFCD models?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 7.69%
  • No

24 92.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you give out RAW photos for TFCD?

Default Do you give out RAW photos for TFCD?

Do you give out RAW photos to TFCD models?

Default Re: Do you give out RAW photos for TFCD?

RAW photos as in RAW format file, or jpg without editing?

RAW format, NO.

whatever you want to give is up to you, but better discuss it and have agreement on whatever thing BEFORE the shoot, not after.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Just my thoughts only, since I don't do TFCD or plan to as well...

My thoughts are, this should be treated like a paying client. Photographer should complete PP and present the high resolution photos, maybe no need to give raw but a PP high res photo should be given. Please ignore if disagree... I don't know much about these things just looking at it from neutral pov.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Just my thoughts only, since I don't do TFCD or plan to as well...

My thoughts are, this should be treated like a paying client. Photographer should complete PP and present the high resolution photos, maybe no need to give raw but a PP high res photo should be given. Please ignore if disagree... I don't know much about these things just looking at it from neutral pov.

../azul123
    My customers/client is PAYING me my skill, time and gears for my images.

so my take for TFCD is I already OFFER the models my skill, time and gear, plus some untouch up images to the models, and I don't need to offer them more than these. Anyway, if I hired models, I don't even need to give them anythings.

of course, models are free choose the photographers willing to offer them more things for TFCD.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    My customers/client is PAYING me my skill, time and gears for my images.

so my take for TFCD is I already OFFER the models my skill, time and gear, plus some untouch up images to the models, and I don't need to offer them more than these. Anyway, if I hired models, I don't even need to give them anythings.

of course, models are free choose the photographers willing to offer them more things for TFCD.
    But model is offering their time as well.. their ablity to pose, their features, their outfits, maybe simple makeup etc..

If they do this, normally it is a paid shoot.. so to me TFCD means both coming to table offering their efforts and a complete transaction would be what is the end product.

A PP photo.

../azul123

Thanks for the input guys... maybe I should change the way I operate. I usually give them all the whole photos. editted plus uneditted as I already have the photos I want.

I usually give them all as it's easier and I've got all my DVD-Rs ready. So, to burn just a handful of photos (I usually select and edit not more than 30 per TFCD), that doesnt really justify the DVD-R available space. Well, that's for me.

I'm aware of the downside that giving all the files may tarnish my reputation as not all pics can make it. :P But, I trust in my selection of the pics which I'd editted in terms of composition, lighting, exposure, model's expression and pose, etc. But it occured to me a few times whereby the model selected and editted some photos (which I didn't choose) on her own to put on her website, and turned out not very pleasing (to me at least :P ). Some photos were badly cropped, i.e. fingers chopped off, ears cut off, etc. Some didn't heal the blemishes, moles, pimples, etc. Some just paint the skin with a brownish color paint (using Paint Brush tool) over the imperfections. And came out quite bad IMHO.

Which is why I am hesitant to give raw photos now. Maybe I'll just zip up all the pics and send via MSN next time. Faster, don't need to meet up again, save on postage (I do mail them sometimes).

So, should I rename TFCD to TFP? What I know was TFP means Time for Photo/Prints and was used before the digital age where the photographer give out actual prints.
    Last edited by happyfrog; 21st October 2009 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    Thanks for the input guys... maybe I should change the way I operate. I usually give them all the whole photos. editted plus uneditted as I already have the photos I want.

I usually give them all as it's easier and I've got all my DVD-Rs ready. So, to burn just a handful of photos (I usually select and edit not more than 30 per TFCD), that doesnt really justify the DVD-R available space. Well, that's for me.

I'm aware of the downside that giving all the files may tarnish my reputation as not all pics can make it. :P But, I trust in my selection of the pics which I'd editted in terms of composition, lighting, exposure, model's expression and pose, etc. But it occured to me a few times whereby the model selected and editted some photos (which I didn't choose) on her own to put on her website, and turned out not very pleasing (to me at least :P ). Some photos were badly cropped, i.e. fingers chopped off, ears cut off, etc. Some didn't heal the blemishes, moles, pimples, etc. Some just paint the skin with a brownish color paint (using Paint Brush tool) over the imperfections. And came out quite bad IMHO.

Which is why I am hesitant to give raw photos now. Maybe I'll just zip up all the pics and send via MSN next time. Faster, don't need to meet up again, save on postage (I do mail them sometimes).

So, should I rename TFCD to TFP? What I know was TFP means Time for Photo/Prints and was used before the digital age where the photographer give out actual prints.
    Like you, I too hand PPed photos to the model, though I am by no means in your league. But I draw the line at handing out unprocessed photos. Reason being for me, it is in fact an ethical and somewhat "professional" reason that I do so. Unprocessed photos are akin to raw meat, which I am sure that as a cook I will not serve to my customers unless I am working in a Japanese restaurant serving sashimi and the presentation itself is stunning to boot in the first place.

So in the case of unprocessed files be it RAW or JPEG, unless and that is a huge unless, the picture comes out flawless, I will consider it, but that has never happened before to me. So it is time in front of the Mac doing PP.

But model is offering their time as well.. their ablity to pose, their features, their outfits, maybe simple makeup etc..

If they do this, normally it is a paid shoot.. so to me TFCD means both coming to table offering their efforts and a complete transaction would be what is the end product.

A PP photo.

../azul123
    if a photographer has nothing to offer, may even throw in wardrobe, makeup, and transport.
    and if a model think she/he has unique quality to offer, can be picky too.

so as I said, see how much you worth lor, at the end of the day both parties have to agree this is a win win situation.

if a photographer has nothing to offer, may even throw in wardrobe, makeup, and transport.
    and if a model think she/he has unique quality to offer, can be picky too.

so as I said, see how much you worth lor, at the end of the day both parties have to agree this is a win win situation.
    Yes, I guess...

The best thing to do is discuss and agree with upfront to avoid being short-changed.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by confession View Post
    Like you, I too hand PPed photos to the model, though I am by no means in your league. But I draw the line at handing out unprocessed photos. Reason being for me, it is in fact an ethical and somewhat "professional" reason that I do so. Unprocessed photos are akin to raw meat, which I am sure that as a cook I will not serve to my customers unless I am working in a Japanese restaurant serving sashimi and the presentation itself is stunning to boot in the first place.

So in the case of unprocessed files be it RAW or JPEG, unless and that is a huge unless, the picture comes out flawless, I will consider it, but that has never happened before to me. So it is time in front of the Mac doing PP.
    OK, only cooked food next time!

Blog Entries

what is a XMM going to do with a RAW file in the first place ???

she will likely have a very basic photo editing software in her laptop/PC......
    Last edited by ed9119; 21st October 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    what is a model going to do with a RAW file in the first place ???
    hmmm... usually they ask me if i can give it all to them. hmmm, i suppose they can do something with the photos? oh well, no more raw food for them next time. only cooked food.

the next thing the model will ask is :"how do i open it?"

some models are also into photography, some are not,
    that why I ask TS what RAW photos are referring to?

so is the native digital images file? or un-touch-up jpg?

some models are also into photography, some are not,
    that why I ask TS what RAW photos are referring to?

so is the native digital images file? or un-touch-up jpg?
    un-touch-up jpg.

If I may ask a question related to this topic, do you guys usually give the model a separate set of PP shots w/o watermark?

I think there shouldn't be a need to watermark the PP photos... IMO this is supposed to be equal share effort. If it's watermarked how would the photographer feel if the model wears on her dress "this image belongs to XMM ABC"? e.g.

I think there needs to be equal footing.

../azul123

I think there shouldn't be a need to watermark the PP photos... IMO this is supposed to be equal share effort. If it's watermarked how would the photographer feel if the model wears on her dress "this image belongs to XMM ABC"? e.g.

I think there needs to be equal footing.

../azul123
    So I guess you don't watermark your PP photos, does any other bro share the same views?

I don't watermark my photos too... I think it's extra effort... that's why i didn't do it

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    So I guess you don't watermark your PP photos, does any other bro share the same views?
    I am not a good example as I don't do TFCD or will ever do TFCD, I am just giving my views taking a neutral pov.

../azul123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast