Thread: Panasonic LX3 or Canon G11

Default Panasonic LX3 or Canon G11

Hi everyone, I need to get a camera by year end and after narrowing my choices, I'm pretty much stucked between these 2.

Lx3 has the advantages of good image quality, wider lens, hd video, hot shoes, light weight, lower price, while g11 has better 5x zoom, suitable for all light conditions, newly launched.

Looking at the specs, lx3 seems like a better option, but my main dilemma lies in lx3's value retention ability with high possibility of its successor coming out next year. on the other hand g11 is newly launched, so i'm guessing it'd be easier to sell it (with probably lower losses) if i decide to upgrade to lx3 successor?

considering the basic specs, price and value retention factor, which do you guys think is a better choice if my primary purpose is for travelling?

i'm also puzzled why most people would rather get g11 from local stores than ordering it from the states when its cheaper that way (usd499 vs $795)? also, are lx3 and g11 likely to be cheaper in japan since they originate from there?

thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mpleaves; 19th October 2009 at 02:38 PM.

Default Re: Panasonic LX3 or Canon G11

Try the camera at Canon showroom, vivocity. If you like the feel and build of the camera, just buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpleaves View Post
    Hi everyone, I need to get a camera by year end and after narrowing my choices, I'm pretty much stucked between these 2.

Lx3 has the advantages of good image quality, wider lens, hd video, hot shoes, light weight, lower price, while g11 has better 5x zoom, suitable for all light conditions, newly launched.

Looking at the specs, lx3 seems like a better option, but my main dilemma lies in lx3's value retention ability with high possibility of its successor coming out next year. on the other hand g11 is newly launched, so i'm guessing it'd be easier to sell it (with probably lower losses) if i decide to upgrade to lx3 successor?

considering the basic specs, price and value retention factor, which do you guys think is a better choice if my primary purpose is for travelling?

i'm also puzzled why most people would rather get g11 from local stores than ordering it from the states when its cheaper that way (usd499 vs $795)? also, are lx3 and g11 likely to be cheaper in japan since they originate from there?

thanks in advance!
    You may wish to look into Canon subforum for some discussion about the similar topic.
    Regarding local or US or other country, basically people are looking for warranty. Camera body only offer local warranty.

If I'm in your situation, I will narrow my choice base on: whether I need the zoom (G11) or larger aperture wider angle lens (LX3).

Another camera that you should look at is the Canon S90. It should be on sale in Singapore next mth. Same sensor as G11, f2.0 lens, in a slightly smaller body vs LX3

As a Canon user, i say G11

As a pratical photographer, i say LX3

It's just gorgeous. and it's a Leica Lens Cost effective i would say.
    Playing with M43.

Hmm... my flashes for both G11 & LX3. Which should I choose?

Quote Originally Posted by midicity View Post
    Another camera that you should look at is the Canon S90. It should be on sale in Singapore next mth. Same sensor as G11, f2.0 lens, in a slightly smaller body vs LX3
    Is there a MSRP set in SG for the S90?

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Is there a MSRP set in SG for the S90?
    Slightly cheaper than G11, I believe the Canon Singapore announcement page have the RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by soons View Post
    Slightly cheaper than G11, I believe the Canon Singapore announcement page have the RRP.
    Actually, strangely, canon sg does not have the RRP for S90 even today (20 Oct 2009). People overseas have already bought it though. Reviews by owners are already out.
    G11 is already on the Canon Sg website

It should be S$100-200 cheaper than the G11

The G11 have a 5X zoom; the LX3 have a 2.5X zoom.

The G11 LCD is adjustable; the LX3 LCD is fixed.

Here are some comparison at ISO 3200 courtesy of imaging resource.

LX3

G11

The G11 here shows heavy noise reduction but seems to have better IQ than LX3.

The sample images here showed that G11 IQ over G10 has been improved

Latest doesn't mean the best.
    If you don't need the zoom and wants wider lens, should consider LX3 over G11 or S90
    Simplicity, it is just an encapsulation of complexity.

is wider lens or longer zoom more useful if im mainly taking architecture and scenary shots? im really new to photography, so pls pardon such questions.

i took s90 outta the picture cos there's speculations on some reviews that its lens is inferior to lx3's, plus there's no hd video, zoom isnt alot better, and lastly i dont like its look.
    Last edited by mpleaves; 20th October 2009 at 01:15 PM.

is wider lens or longer zoom more useful if im mainly taking architecture and scenary shots? im really new to photography, so pls pardon such questions.

i took s90 outta the picture cos there's speculations on some reviews that its lens is inferior to lx3's, plus there's no hd video, zoom isnt alot better, and lastly i dont like its look.
    For architecture, generally wider is better. But then you could also consider moving to a Tilt-Shift lens on a dslr.

IMHO, it will be a fairer comparison to wait for S90 users' review before deciding which is better. Anyway, the wait will soon be over as it's rumoured to be launching in early Nov.
    Canon EOS 40D | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Of coz wider is always better. However compacts/prosumer cams aren't the best option for architecture shots, mainly coz of the nature of the lens design - you'll usually get noticeable barrel distortion at the wide end.

Looks are really a cosmetic thing for me, more impt is the overall IQ, and handling. S90 looks fine to me - but thats maybe coz I prefer a simpler, cleaner layout. The G11 seems much more "cluttered". But G11 IQ should be better than the S90 due in part to its larger lens.