Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Lens vs Rich-Hobbyist Lens

Default Pro Lens vs Rich-Hobbyist Lens

Just wondering, what are the typical lens which Professional photographers would use for their day-to-day work? As compared to the Rich-hobbyist?

Deregistered

Default Re: Pro Lens vs Rich-Hobbyist Lens

for me, the professional photographers will buy what they need for their work. rich hobby-st will by what they want for their prestige. no matter how cheap or exp.

Too generalised. Typical lenses will depend on what they are shooting for a living.
    Rich hobbyist can more or less get whatever lens they need / want ...

Ryan

My friends and I were discussing about this.

One lens which came to discussion is the 24-70 f/2.8.

Many people dislike the fact that it's heavy. But many rich-hobbyist would buy only lenses with gold rings. I've seen many times, pros use lenses without any rings too.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    My friends and I were discussing about this.

One lens which came to discussion is the 24-70 f/2.8.

Many people dislike the fact that it's heavy. But many rich-hobbyist would buy only lenses with gold rings. I've seen many times, pros use lenses without any rings too.
    Depends on the camera. If you're a pro and you're shooting with a full-frame camera, a 24-70 is almost essential in your lens line-up.
    Alpha

by the term professionals, it means some one who makes his living via photography. i've seen good pros and bad pros. more than often enough, we see bad pros who like to state i've been doing this for 30 years and blah blah blah.

i have also seen hobbyist that do excellent quality images, some who just picked up a camera for a few months.

the terms pro or hobbyist doesn't mean squat, most people only care about the final result.

your question here is too generalized, you can't pull out much meaningful statistics.

edit: if you want to talk about rich hobbyist, take your eyes away from your gold rings and L lenses and move onto the leica group of users. now, that is what i call rich hobbyist. RFs are limited by the type of photography and yet an exorbitant amount are spent on them. by all means, if you can afford it, why not? who are we to say whether you deserve anything in this life. i hope i can join this group shortly :P
    Last edited by gazkw; 19th October 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Also noticed that sometimes some pros also use kit lens for their job and can deliver the results that client wants.

Just wondering, what are the typical lens which Professional photographers would use for their day-to-day work? As compared to the Rich-hobbyist?
    What purpose does this question serve? What is the expected answer for your own lens purchasing?
    One could say that professional photographer would check costs and benefits / outcome more stringent since it affects the business results. Hobbyists tend to be more generous and may spend more than what is actually necessary. But what's wrong with that? An L lens will always look good, it's the photographer showing off that looks silly.
    EOS

What you use doesn't define your status. Its how you use it that matters.

I assume that the pros will make more rational decisions as compared to the rich-hobbyist. So, following their decision making patterns on lenses is in a sense more cost-efficient. Sorry, but I gotta stretch my dollar now. Pocket getting tighter.

two schools of thought when you are talking about business in photography.

one is spend the least amount to generate profit.
    photographers believe in this will not spend money on gears, image packaging, customer service etc...

another one is spend the right amount to maximize your profit.
    photographers believe in this will spend whatever they think is appropriate and necessary on equipment, image packaging, marketing, advertising, customer service etc...

so, some pros use only kit lens, some pros use only pro lens.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Basically a lens is just to get the job done (for the desired outcome). If a third party lens vendor had come out with a 70-200F2.8 IS, I may had choose that instead of my Canon L.

Quote Originally Posted by mikha View Post
    for me, the professional photographers will buy what they need for their work. rich hobby-st will by what they want for their prestige. no matter how cheap or exp.
    Good answer.

May I add, Rich collectors will collect every top of the line lenses the manufacturer produced.
    Last edited by CS TAN; 19th October 2009 at 03:59 PM.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

We are simply over-generalising... There are many reasons to use expensive (usually meaning better) lenses then kit/minimal lenses... for example...

1. Build & Reliability

Last thing you want happen to your lens would be for it to fail during a shoot. As much as this sounds like over-precaution, how many people would buy back-up lenses? Canon users know how certain non-L lenses have recurring AF motor issues and other problems.

2. Impress/Defend
    This once I encountered a foreign-talent wedding photographer using Eos 10D with EF 50 f1.8 for most of his shots. He then told me that the only reason he used this setup was that it works, but how he was once "challenged" by a client's relative who showed off his 1DsIII + 35 mm f1.4 setup.

We all know that it is at least 60% the man behind the camera, but with overly minimal equipment, your clients will no doubt start itching when their cousin uses a D3X or similar. An expensive camera/lens looks like one when it's one.

3. Maximum possible image quality and large apertures (prime-lens)

Using expensive prime lenses give you the ability to challenge situations usually impossible to tackle. You could say that you don't shoot wide open but the ability to do so when needed is a blessing.

As a canon user, L lenses certainly deliver different colours and contrast which are deemed slightly superior towards non L counterparts (not sure about nikon but my encounter with it was that nikon lower end lenses much better vs canon lower end lenses... no choice since already jump into canon bandwagon).
    Last edited by surrephoto; 19th October 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Lens is not everything.. the illumination and the environment matters too..

If the site is sufficiently bright or with good lighting, a kit lens might suffice.. Since it's for profit, why carry a heaver lens when a light kit lens can do the same..

Quote Originally Posted by jetfynn View Post
    Also noticed that sometimes some pros also use kit lens for their job and can deliver the results that client wants.

Give a pro any camera and any lens combination (even a P&S), and they will produce results because they understand the concepts of lighting, framing, composition and PP. The tools are only as good as the person using them. Have rubbish skills, you get rubbish photos. It is simple as that. No amount of expensive gear will cover for a lack of knowledge, understanding and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dche5390 View Post
    Give a pro any camera and any lens combination (even a P&S), and they will produce results because they understand the concepts of lighting, framing, composition and PP. The tools are only as good as the person using them. Have rubbish skills, you get rubbish photos. It is simple as that. No amount of expensive gear will cover for a lack of knowledge, understanding and experience.
    That's an assumption that working pros know what they are doing, which is not necessarily true.....

Quote Originally Posted by jetfynn View Post
    you mean pro as in actual proffesionals who use photography to put bread on the table..

or pro as in "hi i'm at university, i have a c00l new nikon d60, i have plenty of freetime so please visit my blogsite and hire me i very cheap wan!"

coz i dont know very many of the first of the two who actually use kit lenses for their real jobs.. haha
    that being said though, nothing wrong with using one, just that why would you an 18-55 when, if you're a real proffesional, you should be able to get your hands on a 24-70 L or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    What you use doesn't define your status. Its how you use it that matters.
    Rich man's lens, poor man's lens, any lens that gives good image is a good lens.
    Pro photographer, amateur photographer, any photographer who gives good results is a good photographer.

It doesn't really matter what equipment we use. As long as we know what it takes to deliver to the client. For the rich hobbyist, the client is himself. If gold rings are what it takes, gold rings are what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    that being said though, nothing wrong with using one, just that why would you an 18-55 when, if you're a real proffesional, you should be able to get your hands on a 24-70 L or something...
    Either:-
    1) the clients didn't demand that
    2) rather put more bread on the table with that money if it's not going to help earn more $$
    3) both..

4) the L lens doesn't mount on the body can be another reason.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 19th October 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast