Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera care dunring winter holiday

Default Re: Camera care dunring winter holiday

Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    Winter is the best time for cameras, clear blue sky, very, very low humidity. Only think I can think of is to keep battery warm as it can get discharge rather quickly. Of course, keep the camera dry if there is a shower or a snow fight.

Happy holidays.

agreed. winter pictures are very nice esp the clear blue sky and the white snow... but then again the white snow reflect light very well

Quote Originally Posted by animian2002 View Post
    that's because my Canon PnS ever failed me on one of the cold winter trip so i cant help but worry about my DSLR too

i am heading to hokkaido for holiday in mid dec too ...and i have bought myself a spare battery just in case
    That;s why the battery is in the hand grip area. Your hand will keep that area warmer. Keeping your spare battery warm in a pocket close to your body might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    That;s why the battery is in the hand grip area. Your hand will keep that area warmer. Keeping your spare battery warm in a pocket close to your body might be a good idea.

noted with thanks will keep the spare battery as warm as possible .

Quote Originally Posted by chewbb View Post
    HI all seniors...

Please advice what are the thing to bring along dunring a negative temperature holiday..
    And how do I take care of my DSLR camera?

Rgds
    BB (real Newbies)
    http://www.nyip.com/ezine/outdoors/coldtemps.html

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalicious23 View Post
    thanks

i just got back from hokkaido last night and i notice throughout the trip, i am the only weirdo that kept taking out my DSLR from ziplock bag and putting them into ziplock bag before going into warm /heated indoor place there are a couple of DSLR users on this trip... all totally hack care... they were happily shooting in heavy snow ... and just hang their DSLR on the neck and walked in and outdoor

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=kodkod32;5540682]

2)Place the camera in a waterproof sack or ziplock bag when moving from warm house/tent to a cold outdoor and vice versa....as condensation would/may inflict damage to the electronics. [QUOTE]

and

"Clean your lens, CCD & mirror everyday.
    This is to prevent condensed water from damaging the body/lenses.
    "

I hope you spend more time researching and filtering what info posted is BS and what is practical.

You must have looked like a total clown with that ziploc bag

[QUOTE=ed9119;5700818][QUOTE=kodkod32;5540682]

2)Place the camera in a waterproof sack or ziplock bag when moving from warm house/tent to a cold outdoor and vice versa....as condensation would/may inflict damage to the electronics.

and

"Clean your lens, CCD & mirror everyday.
    This is to prevent condensed water from damaging the body/lenses.
    "

I hope you spend more time researching and filtering what info posted is BS and what is practical.

You must have looked like a total clown with that ziploc bag
    i think i probably am ... as mentioned the dslr users in my tour group didnt do those
    anyway i'm back already...at least next time i know what to do

Winter topic LOL. Okay i think some people may have miss out some points including winter glove. I use SAF Nomex light glove. Your hand will feel hurt without a proper glove. Then never breath on ur lens for cleaning, it is common for us doing it here. But a nono over low temperature. Then gray card, u will need it. Probably u will get more gray snow than white without it. The other points are mentioned, lots off batt, dun have to worry abt humidility. I dun care to bring any dry box or whatever while overseas. You shoot everyday.
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

i notice you guys always say bring extra battery ...but when i am there i dont even need to change my battery that often in fact 1 charge can last 2 days ...guess either the weather is not cold enuff (but the highest temp is -4 and the lowest is -10 ) or i didnt shoot enuff everyday to drain the battery (but on average i have at least 250 pictures per day)...

i just got back from hokkaido last night and i notice throughout the trip, i am the only weirdo that kept taking out my DSLR from ziplock bag and putting them into ziplock bag before going into warm /heated indoor place there are a couple of DSLR users on this trip... all totally hack care... they were happily shooting in heavy snow ... and just hang their DSLR on the neck and walked in and outdoor
    Usually keeping the camera in the bag is good enough to let the temperature change gradually from outside to inside tempatures.

Oh, even if you keep it around your neck, just keep the lens cap on when you go inside.

Actually i really depends too a D70 can shoot about 2000 photos, my D1x use to give me abt 200 shots and a compact maybe around there too.

Basically you need to know your camera well. You will not want to miss any shots while traveling. And how much you love to listen to your shutter sound =) i shoot about 250 a day too while traveling, but for assignment in Egypt recently i took more than 1k a day.

i notice you guys always say bring extra battery ...but when i am there i dont even need to change my battery that often in fact 1 charge can last 2 days ...guess either the weather is not cold enuff (but the highest temp is -4 and the lowest is -10 ) or i didnt shoot enuff everyday to drain the battery (but on average i have at least 250 pictures per day)...
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

Not all will agree with what i did, but here's what happened during my stay in Nozawa Osen area (Japan).

The temperature at the ski slopes were around -4 degrees and it was snowing heavily. Within a minute outdoors, the whole camera and lenses (40D and 17-55) were covered with snow.

I just blew the snow off and carried on shooting for 10 minutes, then went to a heated room condensation immediately occured.

Did the above for about 4 to 5 times till my battery died.

The important point is my camera and lens still worked fine after that, but your luck might vary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12