Thread: Buying books from Amazon

Default Buying books from Amazon

Just wondering if anyone here has purchased new or used books from amazon.com before?

Was it a painless process or what did you experience and what should I look out for?

Thanks!

Default Re: Buying books from Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Just wondering if anyone here has purchased new or used books from amazon.com before?

Was it a painless process or what did you experience and what should I look out for?

Thanks!
    Lovely process. Fast, accurate and good.
    Done it many times and will keep doing it.
    They will sometimes take a couple of days to gather all your books. Once they have it, they will send an email to you to inform you that they have shipped it out.
    They have mostly all those books that are hard to find elsewhere.

Nothing in particular to look out for, except that certain of their suppliers don't ship to Singapore. So got to keep an eye out for these only.

Thanks Lim.

That's very reassuring to read. Well, off I go on another shopping spree!

Dream Merchant, you're welcome.

Amazon has far better service and even refund services that are far better than some of the physical shops in Singapore.

The only service I use for expensive text books or speciality books is the book ordering service in the NUS co-ops.

While you are at it, I suggest you order some DVDs too - cheaper in USA than local.

If the books are heavy, or bulky, I suggest your office as an address, since they deliver during office hours.

Cheers

PS: for comics I visit Sunny book shop at Far East Plaza.

Thanks!
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

For those not sending to Singapore, you can try Vpost. I bought one book from them a few years ago and encountered this problem but may take a while to reach Singapore.

Thanks!
    I used to order from Amazon (delivered direct to SG and not to Vpost or Globeshopper). Delivery was quite fast and you will usually get your books within 2 to 3 weeks for standard shipping. Faster if you choose priority etc.

However, recently, I placed an order on Sep 29 and the order still hasn't shipped as of yesterday. When I placed the order, all books are indicated as "In Stock". But now they are telling me that 2 books are out of stock with delayed shipping!

Well, I guess that's the price to pay for saving a few bucks! At least they are shipping the other books to me first.

Hi Chris

The preloved books from Amazon i have shipped plenty with no issues, but i usually try to get from those retailers with better feedback.

Ryan

alternatively, you can compare the amazon price with this spore online book store.

http://opentrolley.com.sg/index.aspx

Thanks for sharing guys!

Definitely prefer bookdepository, prices are better, waiting times are roughly similar but the books tend to come a little more damaged as they used bubblewrap envelops compared to cupboard boxes by amazon.

On my blog I've written a comprehensive guide to Amazon shopping for Singaporeans. It compares all the Amazon branches from USA, UK to Japan. I get hundreds dollars of books there monthly.

Bookdepository is recommended if you're getting only a few books.

Opentrolley is also not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    Definitely prefer bookdepository, prices are better, waiting times are roughly similar but the books tend to come a little more damaged as they used bubblewrap envelops compared to cupboard boxes by amazon.
    Yup I agree the prices are the best @ bookdepository. Delivery takes abt 7-10 days.
    Love it!