Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

  1. #1

    Default Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    Why the laptop monitor still show the shoot darker than the lcd monitor?
    A shoot looked proper exposure in laptop screen but overexpose in LCD monitor.

  2. #2
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by hokkaido88 View Post
    Why the laptop monitor still show the shoot darker than the lcd monitor?
    A shoot looked proper exposure in laptop screen but overexpose in LCD monitor.
    Hello, hokkaido88. Firstly just make sure your laptop screen is properly calibrated (with Spyder 3 etc. etc..).
    Secondly, it could be possible that the brightness setting for your camera's LCD screen is way too high, resulting in a arbitrarily 'over-exposed' image.
    Trust your calibrated laptop screen. That is your best bet.

  3. #3
    Member catohcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    It means ur LCD sceen is over exposed :-/ Anyway it's a tentative thing. Like picture edited in Macs always look underexposed in other LCDs because MAC's LCD is brighter.

    The only way to prove is to print out the picture.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    Both LCD monitor and laptop screen was calibrated. But somehow a proper exposure picture in laptop was over expose in LCD monitor.

    Is it possible that this old LCD monitor can't be properly calibrated?

  5. #5
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by hokkaido88 View Post
    Both LCD monitor and laptop screen was calibrated. But somehow a proper exposure picture in laptop was over expose in LCD monitor.

    Is it possible that this old LCD monitor can't be properly calibrated?
    Possible, hokkaido88.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by hokkaido88 View Post
    Why the laptop monitor still show the shoot darker than the lcd monitor?
    A shoot looked proper exposure in laptop screen but overexpose in LCD monitor.
    It depends on whether you do a calibration for just the colour or you include the luminance as well. If you want to get the same brightness, then you'll have to match the white point luminance and black point luminance also.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    Trust in the histogram you must...
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 19th October 2009 at 09:20 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    It depends on whether you do a calibration for just the colour or you include the luminance as well. If you want to get the same brightness, then you'll have to match the white point luminance and black point luminance also.
    I didn't customise the calibration options. I just clicked and select the default option.
    Do you mean, i need to set both value the same for both monitor?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    Lookout for your backlit setting when power adapter/batt is being used.
    This settings will overide ur cal settings.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    You may calibrate both of the monitor, please take note that both of hte monitor may have different level of illumination. Ideally, it should be between the range of 80-120 cd/m2.

    cheers...

  11. #11
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    different monitors have different controls, so some can be calibrated more precisely than others

    using default setting while profiling your monitor does not really work well

  12. #12

    Default Re: Why a calibrated Laptop monitor still darker than LCD monitor?

    Quote Originally Posted by hokkaido88 View Post
    I didn't customise the calibration options. I just clicked and select the default option.
    Do you mean, i need to set both value the same for both monitor?
    You could set a target luminance for both the monitor or you can set the brighter one to match the other.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •