Thread: Cheatchu makes his debut

Default Cheatchu makes his debut

Hey everyone!
    I'm a newbie here, and does not own any digital camera yet. (Actually I do have a very budget digital camera that is not worthy of mention...) I know next to nothing about photography as well, and am here to learn more about it. Hope you guys would enlighten me!

Anyway, I'm planning to get a camera soon, to do some close-up shooting required by my work. Does anyone have any recommendations to give?

Go around the various threads here in CS, I'm sure there are lots of info (and question like yours) to help you decide. I am only 2 months into photography, and picked up my cam just the way I mentioned. Once you have 'identified' a few, then will come the hardest part (believe me!). Eventually you have to make you own decision based on your needs, shooting style and of course budget. And oh ... make sure remember to cost in the accessories like filters, spare batteries etc. That's about all I can help though. Welcome to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    Hey everyone!
    I'm a newbie here, and does not own any digital camera yet. (Actually I do have a very budget digital camera that is not worthy of mention...) I know next to nothing about photography as well, and am here to learn more about it. Hope you guys would enlighten me!

Anyway, I'm planning to get a camera soon, to do some close-up shooting required by my work. Does anyone have any recommendations to give?
    hi welcome...
    enjoy yourself taking more pictures and do not worry about not having the best camera in the market... a camera is a camera and it will take pictures and so will you...

have passion!!!! cheers.

Welcome to CS!

Thank you for the warm welcome guys!

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    Go around the various threads here in CS, I'm sure there are lots of info (and question like yours) to help you decide. I am only 2 months into photography, and picked up my cam just the way I mentioned. Once you have 'identified' a few, then will come the hardest part (believe me!). Eventually you have to make you own decision based on your needs, shooting style and of course budget. And oh ... make sure remember to cost in the accessories like filters, spare batteries etc. That's about all I can help though. Welcome to the party.
    Renegade, what do you mean by the hardest part?
    I'd already set my sight on either Olympus C-740 or Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-1 for quite sometime. Think the only think that's really holding me back, is the reluctance to go down to a retailer and try the camera out. Reluctance, because I don't really know what to check out for when I browse at a new camera.

Can you kindly point me to any discussions in the forum regarding this? There's simply too many threads in the forum to possibly read through everything right?

I'd already set my sight on either Olympus C-740 or Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-1 for quite sometime. Think the only think that's really holding me back, is the reluctance to go down to a retailer and try the camera out. Reluctance, because I don't really know what to check out for when I browse at a new camera.

Can you kindly point me to any discussions in the forum regarding this? There's simply too many threads in the forum to possibly read through everything right?
    haha ok ok ... what i meant by the 'hardest part' is the final decision ... either cam A or cam B. every cam has it's ups n downs ... and you can only choose one (of course u can take both if u have the bucks). can't really point out the threads, maybe just do a search. you may not be able to find C740 vs FZ1 ... but gather the pro/cons from the different threads, then decide. hope this helps.

Hi cheatchu79, just wanna contribute my 2cents. I have the Oly 730, overall I am satisfied with the picture taken, but note that I have am dissapointed with the shuttle lag in oly 730, not sure if it is inherited into 740. But I have read that new Panasonic DMC-FZ10 provides a good shuttle lag performace.

As for the close-up, focusing might pose a challenge in low lit situation for my C730. do more research in this area as I can't advise you on this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtong
    Hi cheatchu79, just wanna contribute my 2cents. I have the Oly 730, overall I am satisfied with the picture taken, but note that I have am dissapointed with the shuttle lag in oly 730, not sure if it is inherited into 740. But I have read that new Panasonic DMC-FZ10 provides a good shuttle lag performace.

As for the close-up, focusing might pose a challenge in low lit situation for my C730. do more research in this area as I can't advise you on this.
    Hi Jimtong. Thanks for your opinion about close up and shuttle lag. Anyway, I'm quite new in the photo-taking thingy (am more comfortable with playing music actually...), and I'd have no idea what shuttle lag is, and what it'll do. Can you possibly enlighten me?

Anyway, I have already reach an agreement with a seller about a 2nd hand Panasonic FZ1. And I think I'm sharing the sentiment of the focusing being a problem in low lit situation. As such, I'm actually looking for accessories like tri-pods and external light sources.

Could anyone enlighten me on what to look for in a tripod?
    Also, is there any possibility to attach/use external flash unit on a camera with a hot shoe?

Hi Jimtong. Thanks for your opinion about close up and shuttle lag. Anyway, I'm quite new in the photo-taking thingy (am more comfortable with playing music actually...), and I'd have no idea what shuttle lag is, and what it'll do. Can you possibly enlighten me?
    Shuttle lag is very common in digital camera, it is the time taken from the moment you press the shuttle button and the time the picture is actually captured! So if you are into action/sport photography, you will be disappointed with the result if your camera has a big shuttle lag. Of cos the ideal case will be the moment you press the button, the picture will be captured immediately but in actual fact this is not so due to some technical issue which I will not explain here .

Anyway, I have already reach an agreement with a seller about a 2nd hand Panasonic FZ1. And I think I'm sharing the sentiment of the focusing being a problem in low lit situation. As such, I'm actually looking for accessories like tri-pods and external light sources.
    I hope you will not get the wrong idea that using a tripod will correct the focusing problem. It will only help you to prevent blur picture in low light situation where shuttle speed will be slow.

Not sure about FZ1 but some digicam do have a focusing flash to aid you in low light situation while some Sony model using laser technology.

Could anyone enlighten me on what to look for in a tripod?
    Also, is there any possibility to attach/use external flash unit on a camera with a hot shoe?
    I will leave this to other forumers to reply you

Shuttle lag is very common in digital camera, it is the time taken from the moment you press the shuttle button and the time the picture is actually captured! So if you are into action/sport photography, you will be disappointed with the result if your camera has a big shuttle lag. Of cos the ideal case will be the moment you press the button, the picture will be captured immediately but in actual fact this is not so due to some technical issue which I will not explain here .

I hope you will not get the wrong idea that using a tripod will correct the focusing problem. It will only help you to prevent blur picture in low light situation where shuttle speed will be slow.

Not sure about FZ1 but some digicam do have a focusing flash to aid you in low light situation while some Sony model using laser technology.

I will leave this to other forumers to reply you
    Hey jimtong, thanks for enlightening me on the shuttle lag. Think that's one aspect I'm definitely willing to compromise, since I'll be primarily doing macro and close-up shots.

As for tripods, I'd never thought of that solving the focusing problem. I did however, encounter problems (due to shaking hands) when I was using my friend's Nikon Coolpix 4500 to take some photographs of my specimens, and I dare say that having a tripod in that kind of situation would really be beneficial.

Furthermore, I believe that most of my shots taken would necessarily be indoors, i.e. less light situation, and a tripod would definitely help in some sense.

However, I do hear a lot of stories about tripods becoming white elephants. How true is that?

However, I do hear a lot of stories about tripods becoming white elephants. How true is that?
    Not true, it can also be a good weapon for self defence
    Last edited by jimtong; 25th January 2004 at 08:26 PM.

It can also be a good weapon for self defence
    LOL!

FZ1 AFAIK dun have assist lamp... and oso got no manual controls....