Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: how to prevent cropping when send for digital printings?

  1. #1
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default how to prevent cropping when send for digital printings?

    602z produces photos at dimension 4"x3" (4/3=1.333)
    but according to the shop ppl they will definately crop the size into 4"x6" (6/4=1.5)

    used to send my digital prints for printing and all my photos were cropped badly...

    So if i use photoshop and set the dimension of the photos into a ratio of 1.5,
    will they still crop my photos?
    I prefer to print out the photos with shadows and signature added using photoshop.

    yesterday went to Fuji shop and want to ask them whether the dimension of the photos is correct or not but they also not sure about it... They only said my photos will be cropped no matter how i do...

    examples of my photo's canvass size viewed by photoshop:>>
    29.292 x 19.528 (inches)
    40.514 x 27.014 (inches)
    and the ratio of width / length or vice versa is 1.5
    is my method correct?

    need advice..
    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modenaslim
    602z produces photos at dimension 4"x3" (4/3=1.333)
    but according to the shop ppl they will definately crop the size into 4"x6" (6/4=1.5)

    used to send my digital prints for printing and all my photos were cropped badly...

    So if i use photoshop and set the dimension of the photos into a ratio of 1.5,
    will they still crop my photos?
    I prefer to print out the photos with shadows and signature added using photoshop.

    yesterday went to Fuji shop and want to ask them whether the dimension of the photos is correct or not but they also not sure about it... They only said my photos will be cropped no matter how i do...

    examples of my photo's canvass size viewed by photoshop:>>
    29.292 x 19.528 (inches)
    40.514 x 27.014 (inches)
    and the ratio of width / length or vice versa is 1.5
    is my method correct?

    need advice..
    Thanks!!
    1. Send the files as is, ask for "FIT IN".
    2. Send the files as is, ask for the special 4DSC/4DI size. So far I only know Colour Lab and Beatiful Memories (Stamford House) has that option.

    Any lab that can't do at least #1, give up and go another lab.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #3

    Default

    What I normally do is crop my pictures to 4R size before sending in for printing. Works fine for me.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    1. Send the files as is, ask for "FIT IN".
    2. Send the files as is, ask for the special 4DSC/4DI size. So far I only know Colour Lab and Beatiful Memories (Stamford House) has that option.

    Any lab that can't do at least #1, give up and go another lab.

    Regards
    CK
    What happens when you ask for "Fit in"? Does the image not get cropped at all?

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    I posted a similar question ... great answers from the frenly CS posse may help ...

    check it out here

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=58732

  6. #6
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    What I normally do is crop my pictures to 4R size before sending in for printing. Works fine for me.
    dun get u... can explain more??
    how do u define as 4R size in digital prints???
    how to set different resolutions photos into 4R size??

  7. #7

    Default

    If you do not wish to crop, can send to labs that offer 4DSC format.. Basically its 4:3 instead of 3:2

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    What happens when you ask for "Fit in"? Does the image not get cropped at all?
    Nope, it won't be cropped. You will end up with a 4x6" print with 2 white borders at the side.

    Regards
    CK

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junyang
    If you do not wish to crop, can send to labs that offer 4DSC format.. Basically its 4:3 instead of 3:2
    send to digipro imaging at marine terrace if you stay in the east... loads of film and digital services... yes they do 4:3 ratio thing...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    Nope, it won't be cropped. You will end up with a 4x6" print with 2 white borders at the side.

    Regards
    CK
    some machines can cut off the white borders when select "fit in" so paper is smaller.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modenaslim
    dun get u... can explain more??
    how do u define as 4R size in digital prints???
    how to set different resolutions photos into 4R size??
    4R is 4" by 6"

    So just crop with photoshop to the resolution you wish. (for example: 200 or 300 pixels per inch) At 200PPI, you'll have to crop to a pic with resolution of 800x1200, for 300 it will be 1200x1800 etc etc etc....... Then when you send for 4R printing, the ratio will be right.

    Hope it helps

  12. #12
    Member modenaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox
    4R is 4" by 6"

    So just crop with photoshop to the resolution you wish. (for example: 200 or 300 pixels per inch) At 200PPI, you'll have to crop to a pic with resolution of 800x1200, for 300 it will be 1200x1800 etc etc etc....... Then when you send for 4R printing, the ratio will be right.

    Hope it helps
    thanks man..

  13. #13

    Default

    Just resize your pics to as following

    4r= 4 by 6 inch = 800x1200 pixels
    5r= 5 by 7 inch = 1000x1400 pixels
    6r= 6 by 8 inch = 1200x1600 pixels
    8r= 8 by 12 inch = 1600x2400 pixels

    resize to those sizes and you'll be able to get perfectly uncropped prints

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    some machines can cut off the white borders when select "fit in" so paper is smaller.
    That would be the 4DSC paper. You will have to specifically ask for it. Actually it doesn't cut off white borders, it is that size to begin with.

    Regards
    CK

  15. #15

    Default

    send them to pro lab.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    That would be the 4DSC paper. You will have to specifically ask for it. Actually it doesn't cut off white borders, it is that size to begin with.

    Regards
    CK
    would that be 4 inch paper?
    the lab where i print stuff uses the same paper for regular 4r and the digital 4r...

    4 inches and cut either to 6 inches for 4r or less for the digital 4r... panaromaic also can.... just cut longer...

    its the fuji frontier 350 machine.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    would that be 4 inch paper?
    the lab where i print stuff uses the same paper for regular 4r and the digital 4r...

    4 inches and cut either to 6 inches for 4r or less for the digital 4r... panaromaic also can.... just cut longer...

    its the fuji frontier 350 machine.
    Yup, that would be 4" paper with a variable width. My regular lab uses a 350 and a 370, there's a new one at Stamford House (Beautiful Memories) which uses the new Frontier 340. They are having open house sessions every week, you can refer to the thread in Events and Training.

    Regards
    CK

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bukit Timah
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    1. Send the files as is, ask for "FIT IN".
    2. Send the files as is, ask for the special 4DSC/4DI size. So far I only know Colour Lab and Beatiful Memories (Stamford House) has that option.

    Any lab that can't do at least #1, give up and go another lab.

    Regards
    CK
    Where's are these two labs that you recommended located?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmc17479
    Where's are these two labs that you recommended located?
    Colour Lab is at 1st floor of Adelphi (opp. Funan Centre and St. Andrew's Cathedral).
    Beautiful Memories is at Stamford House along Stamford Road. Just cross the traffic light to Capitol Cinema and walk in the direction towards National Library.

    Regards
    CK

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bukit Timah
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Any idea how much do they charge per print and is there any limitations? Any one care to comment on their quality?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •