Thread: Raffles and his legacy

Default Raffles and his legacy

Wink

Just a noob's comment. Hope you don't mind. Two notes:-

1. There's a lot of empty space. Do consider cropping or resizing or blowing up the image and in particular, the subjects of interest.

2. It's hard to pick out the details on the Raffle's statue. Thus, viewers might be confused as to whether it is the statue or the buildings behind that is the theme of the picture.

Other than that, nice use of B/W imagery though.

Maybe a bit more foreground and less sky.

Quote Originally Posted by SzennyBoy
    You're right. I should have gotten closer. Can always go back and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by SzennyBoy
    Yeah ... same sentiments ... quite a nice shot tho! ... definitely more creative than the straight-on take of mister raffles ... nice digital processing too ...

Do you have some kind of view finder on your pin-hole camera or do you more or less guess on the composition?

I think you can calculate the angle of coverage easily and make a simple view finder, though there will be some paralex error, but should not matter much for landscape shots.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    on the contrary to what the rest had commented. I find this shot aptly framed. the dynamic overview of the sky helped to zero in onto the statue in the middle and the fact that the sky's not being too overexposed helped in that perspective.

I like the composition oso coz the base of the statue is firmly beginning at the bottom of the photo.. very well exposed photo. Noticed that the statue's features still can be seen despite backlit by the sky?

nice one SS

Frankly...I personally liked this shot for what it is...although i have to somewhat agree that the statue is somewhat lost amongst the buildings...nevertheless...a shot that captures my attention...great work.!!

This is another shot taken at the same time. NOT a crop. What happened is that for the first shot the paper was not properly secured to the blutack, and dropped to the bottom of the tin (so a lot more sky was exposed). This second shot was initially rejected because of many fingerprints in the sky (I had to make sure the paper was properly secured the second time around), but then I thought why not fix it with PS?

I think this second shot is more balanced... just needs a rotation of the horizon to level things out.

Hi Streetshooter,

Just satisfying my curiosity...did you make your own pinhole cam??...or are there commercial types that you can buy off the shelf??...

Quote Originally Posted by kelster
    Hi Streetshooter,

Just satisfying my curiosity...did you make your own pinhole cam??...or are there commercial types that you can buy off the shelf??...
    yes he did take these with a pinhole... and he made the cam himself.... so i think it's very tough to get a good image already....
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

ooh...anyone can provide some idea on how to build one and how to ensure that what you want to take is at least in focused??...interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by kelster
    ooh...anyone can provide some idea on how to build one and how to ensure that what you want to take is at least in focused??...interesting...
    One simple way I read about ( but hadn't have time to try ), is just to make a very very very small hole on a camera body cap ( the cap that screws onto the SLR body to protect it's mount hole ). Then just put the cap on the SLR body like you normally do, and viola, your SLR is now a pin hold camera. Put to bulb, and shoot !

No need to care about focus. Pin hole cameras have infinite DOF, so everything is in focus.

Since we are also talking about Raffles, has anyone been to Westminster's Abbey in London ? There's a Raffles memorial in there, which is a statue of Stamford Raffles in a sitting posture. Unfortunately, photography was not allowed in the Abbey, so I wasn't able to get a shot of it.

heh...prob thats 1 way...but really interested in the setup that Streetshooter used for the above pictures...really liked the effects there...

Thnx SS!!...very enlightening indeed...

Deregistered

I like both. Though prefer the first one more.