Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My doubts. - Canon, Nikon, Sony

Default Re: My doubts. - Canon, Nikon, Sony

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan920 View Post
    Sorry to disturb everyone! I know i'm a irritating noob =X
    Someone told me in previous thread that there is cheaper camera. He said Nikon and canon are just a bit too over priced. I did some research and realise that sony was seriously cheaper o.o! I look into it's specification but dont see the difference .... i dont understand a lot of its function and what it does so cant compare.

1) My Budget $1000.(Try to save if possible. I want to shoot during events and outings so i should be using it at least once every week.)
    2)What is the difference between Nikon D3000, D60, Canon D1000 To Sony A230It is almost $300 difference but the specification doesn't show. Anyway if Sony is cheap and good why everyone is still going for Nikon and Canon?
    Personally i like how Nikon look.
    1)2) Canon or Nikon....from my perspective, they are good in that plenty of rental shops.

Your budget is $1000.

so basically best bet is to get second hand. At this point of time for your budget, this is my recommendation since i originally used Canon to start out in events.

Canon 400D.
    55-250mm IS and a 50mm F/1.8 is good combo if the 18-200mm is too expensive.
    3rd party flash will do if you dont need so much flash controls.
    memory cards and batteries.

Thats all you need and if they are used regularly dont even need a dry cabinet.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    My D3000 lasted 200 shots the first time, but that was with playing with every darn setting possible, etc.

CIPA rated for 550 shots.
    Haha! Thats what i'm worried about XD

Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    Then how's about Pentax, Olympus? They're hardly a big company like Sony.

I made some research before posting. I dont like how pentax and Olympus look. sorry to pentax and olympus fans

If you find value in the brand name itself then probably Canon and Nikon are not overpriced.
    Alright, will think about. THanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Using live view and constantly reviewing your shots can kill any battery quickly. You may want to re-adjust your shooting style, or use the viewfinder more.
    Thanks for the advice, i learned something new!

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    yup Olympus and especially Pentax falls under the value for money category together with Sony. So i usually recommend people on a budget to get either Sony or Pentax (olympus slightly not as value as pentax and sony).

So if Canon and Nikon are the "normal price", then the 3 of them are under priced in that sense.

I dont go for brand name. I look at the camera itself.
    I made some research before posting. I dont like how pentax and Olympus look. sorry to pentax and olympus fans . Anyway Thumbs up for you! Most people go for brand =X

Quote Originally Posted by satch View Post
    personally i think the $699 is a decent deal... if i were in your shoes, i'll just grab it (if price is an impt factor) and thrash it around. it's good enough for events and outings... plus with a $1k budget, u need to consider getting a speedlight (impt for events) which prob sets u back around $300+. so the a230 + flash (and perhaps some memory card, bag, filter etc) will prob fit ur budget just nice.
    I've changed my mind. Taking a330 if i decide to choose Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    1)2) Canon or Nikon....from my perspective, they are good in that plenty of rental shops.

Your budget is $1000.

so basically best bet is to get second hand. At this point of time for your budget, this is my recommendation since i originally used Canon to start out in events.

Canon 400D.
    55-250mm IS and a 50mm F/1.8 is good combo if the 18-200mm is too expensive.
    3rd party flash will do if you dont need so much flash controls.
    memory cards and batteries.

Thats all you need and if they are used regularly dont even need a dry cabinet.
    I dont feel safe having a second hand camera. Unless i know that person well. Personally , i would go for something new. Thanks for that advice

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan920 View Post
    Haha! Thats what i'm worried about XD

Alright, will think about. THanks.

Thanks for the advice, i learned something new!

I made some research before posting. I dont like how pentax and Olympus look. sorry to pentax and olympus fans . Anyway Thumbs up for you! Most people go for brand =X

I've changed my mind. Taking a330 if i decide to choose Sony.
    Just wondering when you say you don't like how Pentax and Olympus look, do you mean the camera itself or the images they produce?

Anyway, my advice is go down to one of the shops like Best or Harvey Norman or Courts and try the cameras for yourself. When buying a DSLR, the camera MUST feel at home in your hands and you must feel at home with it. Why some people like one brand and not another is whether the functions and the controls are intuitively placed where you want them.

As for specs, forget them. All of them perform almost equally well unless you compare something new with another's older model.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Just wondering when you say you don't like how Pentax and Olympus look, do you mean the camera itself or the images they produce?

Anyway, my advice is go down to one of the shops like Best or Harvey Norman or Courts and try the cameras for yourself. When buying a DSLR, the camera MUST feel at home in your hands and you must feel at home with it. Why some people like one brand and not another is whether the functions and the controls are intuitively placed where you want them.

As for specs, forget them. All of them perform almost equally well unless you compare something new with another's older model.
    I dont like how the gear look =X Thanks for that advice

i find the a230 grip too thin....very hard for me to grip even though i have small hands.

btw, sony has always been innovative in terms of product designs and looks (stylish). but i find their DSLR alpha range doesn't resemble sony's style at all...it looks abit 'old school' and too conservative for me. maybe because of konica-minolta influences or? just my opinion though...

Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    btw, sony has always been innovative in terms of product designs and looks (stylish). but i find their DSLR alpha range doesn't resemble sony's style at all...it looks abit 'old school' and too conservative for me. maybe because of konica-minolta influences or? just my opinion though...
    Yup, and I'm happy the KM influences are still there.

Old school is the good school. Especially for the higher-end models like A700, A850, A900, I'm really happy that they didn't design a "gizmo/gadget heaven" and instead created excellent photographic tools.
    Alpha

2x market share in 2 years, pretty impressive!

I forsee Sony's market share will increase again by the end of the year. The low price of the a230 and a330 will gain them a foothold in the budget dslr market, but most interestingly I'm waiting to see how the market reacts to the a500 and s550.

Price wise the a5 series are still offering good value for mobey. But its the improvements to the camera that is the most important. Sony's budget dslr has often been criticized for not performing as well as Canon and nikon dslr at high iso, and also for not having a good handling. But the a5 perform exceptionally well in high iso (maybe even better than a700) and handling feels pretty good. So basically Sony addressed its weakness and still come out with a feature rich camera with cheap price tag.

Wait a few months and we'll see how the new Sony dslr will perform in the current market.

Not forgetting the rumours of the upgraded a700, which will surely excite a lot of users.

You should look at Pentax bro. Their colourful range is
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    You should look at Pentax bro. Their colourful range is
    but i want PINK.
    A850 | Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 HSM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM | Tamron SP AF 90 F2.8 Di | Sony 70-200G

Quote Originally Posted by XkaOnslaught View Post
    but i want PINK.
    They have PINK as well bro and it's really LOUD.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Nikon and canon are established dslr brands, thus their camera has a higher price. A lot of people also use nikon and canon cos they already owned Nikon Canon lenses, thus they won't switch brands as it means they will waste money buying lenses again.
    Just to note that Pentax and Olympus are just as established as Nikon and Canon are.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Specs only tell half the story.

... The camera is just a tool, and all brands are good. If there were crap brands, then nobody would be using them at all!
    I second this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    If you don't like the A230/330 grip, there's always a Pentax K-m. Check out its spec and compared to C/N offerings at same price, you'll be amazed.
    Or the new Pentax K-x..

[QUOTE=daredevil123;5529339]Sony and Pentax are actually pretty good with in-body stabilization and value for money. Olympus is famous for their very good color reproduction, dust management, and its incredible and unbelievable weather sealing (E-3).
    QUOTE]

Pentax also has weather sealing for some models.

Quote Originally Posted by dormy View Post

Whats the meaning of market share?

Here it means the percentage of the total sales of dslr cameras that are attributable to a given company. Basically, it says Sony total sales doubles within 2 years. Nikon gained by 4% and Canon lost by 9% - supposed to add a crazy maniacal laughter here but Canon users might kill me. So... :-#

Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    Here it means the percentage of the total sales of dslr cameras that are attributable to a given company. Basically, it says Sony total sales doubles within 2 years. Nikon gained by 4% and Canon lost by 9% - supposed to add a crazy maniacal laughter here but Canon users might kill me. So... :-#
    oh ok thanks =X i think sony will increase next year =X wad happen to canon i tot its the best o.o

Yes, the higher end Sony Alphas still look very Minolta which I think is keeping the Minolta users happy.

Quote Originally Posted by dormy View Post

interesting...
    is that amongst proffesionals as well or just other slr sales?

i'm a canon user but i have to admit between 2006 and 2009 the nikon D3 has probably stolen a fair share of proffesional canon camera users...

Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    interesting...
    is that amongst proffesionals as well or just other slr sales?

i'm a canon user but i have to admit between 2006 and 2009 the nikon D3 has probably stolen a fair share of proffesional canon camera users...
    it should be the overall sales.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast