Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: adjusting exposure

  1. #1

    Default adjusting exposure

    perhaps a noob quest.
    in manual, while using matrix metering, when picturing a picture.
    after adjusting the aperture and the shutter speed, to balance the metering in the viewfinder, say after all the nice adjustment, I set the exposure to -2.0 EV, the metering will change again, should I readjust the metering again? (I sound a bit stupid and confused)

    supposing adjusting exposure compensation is to overwrite the exposure cam choose for the pic, so after I changed the value, I just shoot right?

  2. #2

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    not quite sure what do you mean, but the camera's metering system doesn't decide on the shutter and aperture in Manual mode.. for Nikon EV in M mode I suppose it only affects flash exposure if you have a flash mounted, correct me if I'm wrong..

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    perhaps a noob quest.
    in manual, while using matrix metering, when picturing a picture.
    after adjusting the aperture and the shutter speed, to balance the metering in the viewfinder, say after all the nice adjustment, I set the exposure to -2.0 EV, the metering will change again, should I readjust the metering again? (I sound a bit stupid and confused)

    supposing adjusting exposure compensation is to overwrite the exposure cam choose for the pic, so after I changed the value, I just shoot right?
    to get correct exposure, set your exposure according to the camera meter show at 0.0 when you meter the scene.

    so if you see ....|...., this is the recommended exposure setting for this scene.

    if you dial -2.0EV, the meter will show overexposed for 2.0 stop (.|...i....) at the same scene with the same exposure setting.

    and when you dial your camera shutter speed, aperture and ISO to get meter showing ....|.... again, take a shot, you will get this scene at -2.0EV exposure


    that is what you ask for, -2.0EV



    .
    Last edited by catchlights; 17th October 2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    I do not mean metering will decide on the shutter and aperture..
    I'm now bit confused over EV compensation.. I read up Scott Kelby's digital photography and tips from somewhere.
    saying taking landscape shot outdoor with bright sky above, if picture taken with sky blown or overexposed, just adjust EV to underexpose the shot

    example of current setup, f5, at 1/2000, sky overexposed (dull) but metering is well balance as focus is on a building
    adjustment 1: f5, at 1/2000 I changed the exposure to -2.0 EV, the metering will show unexpose.. so should the metering be re-tuned or leave it as it is?

    however, after the manual EV compensation, whole picture darkened, process it in photoshop later?

  5. #5

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    to get correct exposure, set your exposure according to the camera meter show at 0.0 when you meter the scene.

    so if you see ....|...., this is the recommended exposure setting for this scene.

    if you dial -2.0EV, the meter will show overexposed for 2.0 stop, (.|...i....)

    and you dial your camera shutter speed, aperture and ISO to get meter show ....|.... again, take a shot, you will get the scene is -2.0EV.


    that is what you ask for, -2.0EV



    .
    ooh thanks catchlight, this is what I'm trying to express my doubts

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    I do not mean metering will decide on the shutter and aperture..
    I'm now bit confused over EV compensation.. I read up Scott Kelby's digital photography and tips from somewhere.
    saying taking landscape shot outdoor with bright sky above, if picture taken with sky blown or overexposed, just adjust EV to underexpose the shot

    example of current setup, f5, at 1/2000, sky overexposed (dull) but metering is well balance as focus is on a building
    adjustment 1: f5, at 1/2000 I changed the exposure to -2.0 EV, the metering will show unexpose.. so should the metering be re-tuned or leave it as it is?

    however, after the manual EV compensation, whole picture darkened, process it in photoshop later?
    in simple words, adjusting EV will affect metering, if you are on auto, A, S or P mode, the camera will exposure according to the meter.

    for M mode, you can follow the camera metering, or personal preference or base on experience to decide what exposure setting you want to set,
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    I do not mean metering will decide on the shutter and aperture..
    I'm now bit confused over EV compensation.. I read up Scott Kelby's digital photography and tips from somewhere.
    saying taking landscape shot outdoor with bright sky above, if picture taken with sky blown or overexposed, just adjust EV to underexpose the shot

    example of current setup, f5, at 1/2000, sky overexposed (dull) but metering is well balance as focus is on a building
    adjustment 1: f5, at 1/2000 I changed the exposure to -2.0 EV, the metering will show unexpose.. so should the metering be re-tuned or leave it as it is?

    however, after the manual EV compensation, whole picture darkened, process it in photoshop later?
    You have set your aperture and shutter. Now you set -2.0 EV. The metering will show underexposed but this is what you want. So leave the metering as it is to get your underexposed pic. (Edit: This statement is wrong. LBL2009)

    If the whole pic is darkened, your EV value could be too negative. Try different settings of EV and shoot again until you are happy with the pic.
    Last edited by LBL2009; 18th October 2009 at 02:04 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    The EV is to compensate for the brigthness of the background. Can think of a reason why you want to make the whole picture darker though (-EV)

    The theory is this:
    if you have a large background which is bright, the subject would be dark. The background tend to be washed out.

    So after focus and setting all the exposure and the shutter speed, in normal circumstances, this would be the 'perfect' exposure

    But to reduce the too bright background, you would reduce the EV, making the background darker. in this instance, the subject would usually be too dark

    Normally I use EV to compensate for the bright background and brighten up my subject at the expense of the overexposed background.

    But I can't think of any use with -EV, maybe someone can enlighten me
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    The EV is to compensate for the brigthness of the background. Can think of a reason why you want to make the whole picture darker though (-EV)

    Normally I use EV to compensate for the bright background and brighten up my subject at the expense of the overexposed background.

    But I can't think of any use with -EV, maybe someone can enlighten me
    -EV when you have a dark background and a bright subject. You get your subject right at the expense of underexposed background.
    Last edited by LBL2009; 17th October 2009 at 07:13 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    -EV when you have a dark background and a bright subject. You get your subject right at the expense of underexposed background.

    so obvious, stupid of me .... one track mind
    Last edited by two200; 17th October 2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    suggest you guys better pick up this book to read.

    Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    not quite sure what do you mean, but the camera's metering system doesn't decide on the shutter and aperture in Manual mode.. for Nikon EV in M mode I suppose it only affects flash exposure if you have a flash mounted, correct me if I'm wrong..
    for Nikon, EV compensation affect metering, so if you set EV compensation in M mode, and you follow the camera metering recommendation, your exposure will be bias towards the EV compensation setting.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #14
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by akagi07 View Post
    I do not mean metering will decide on the shutter and aperture..
    I'm now bit confused over EV compensation.. I read up Scott Kelby's digital photography and tips from somewhere.
    saying taking landscape shot outdoor with bright sky above, if picture taken with sky blown or overexposed, just adjust EV to underexpose the shot

    example of current setup, f5, at 1/2000, sky overexposed (dull) but metering is well balance as focus is on a building
    adjustment 1: f5, at 1/2000 I changed the exposure to -2.0 EV, the metering will show unexpose.. so should the metering be re-tuned or leave it as it is?

    however, after the manual EV compensation, whole picture darkened, process it in photoshop later?
    Logically speaking, if you take 2 shots with exactly the same settings (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc), but with one showing 0EV and another showing -2EV, do you think there will be any difference in the photos?

    * hint: why not you try it for yourself to find out? Shouldn't take more than 5 mins. Better than waiting hours for reply.
    Exploring! :)

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    You have set your aperture and shutter. Now you set -2.0 EV. The metering will show underexposed but this is what you want. So leave the metering as it is to get your underexposed pic.
    TS, please ignore the comment I made above. I was wrong. Please follow catchlights' advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    for Nikon, EV compensation affect metering, so if you set EV compensation in M mode, and you follow the camera metering recommendation, your exposure will be bias towards the EV compensation setting.
    Thanks. I tried. Your advice to the TS is most accurate and you have corrected my wrong understanding on setting EV in M mode.

  16. #16

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    TS, please ignore the comment I made above. I was wrong. Please follow catchlights' advice.



    Thanks. I tried. Your advice to the TS is most accurate and you have corrected my wrong understanding on setting EV in M mode.
    no problem.
    field tested today

  17. #17

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Logically speaking, if you take 2 shots with exactly the same settings (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc), but with one showing 0EV and another showing -2EV, do you think there will be any difference in the photos?

    * hint: why not you try it for yourself to find out? Shouldn't take more than 5 mins. Better than waiting hours for reply.
    i know clubsnap culture and of cos i had tried shooting..
    this thread was to clear up my doubts and questions abt exposure compensation.

  18. #18
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    good job!
    actually i'm a bit puzzled why exposure compensation should be allowed in Manual mode (not sure for Nikons only or all DSLRs)...
    coz if I intend to have the picture overexposed by a stop, easier to just meter for +1stop, rather than tune the EV and then adjust my aperture/shutter speed to get the meter at 0. ~shrug~
    Exploring! :)

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Seletar Estate, Singapore
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    good job!
    actually i'm a bit puzzled why exposure compensation should be allowed in Manual mode (not sure for Nikons only or all DSLRs)...
    coz if I intend to have the picture overexposed by a stop, easier to just meter for +1stop, rather than tune the EV and then adjust my aperture/shutter speed to get the meter at 0. ~shrug~
    Yes. Me too.

    It is no wonder why some people (me included) thought EV doesn't work in M mode becoz they didn't adjust the aperture/shutter to get the meter at 0.
    Last edited by LBL2009; 19th October 2009 at 02:35 PM.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the blue planet
    Posts
    610

    Default Re: adjusting exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by LBL2009 View Post
    Yes. Me too.

    It is no wonder why some people (me included) thought EV doesn't work in M mode becoz they didn't adjust the aperture/shutter to get the meter at 0.
    hi,
    i'm still confused

    in M mode, once aperture, shutter speed and ISO are set, and if camera meter supposed to be showing -.....l.....+ (no bias at all), adjusting EV compensation can change the exposure?

    if i need -EV, i'd adjust faster shutter speed or smaller aperture(let's keep ISO constant); in that case the camera meter will show, say,
    -..l..l.....+

    if i'd need +EV, i'd do the opposite..

    i don't think tweaking EV to - or + will change the exposure of your final image unless you change the shutter, aperture or ISO in M mode..

    please enlighten me why there is a need of EV compensation in M mode(let's not say about using flash)..

    thanks
    Last edited by aungzawwin; 20th October 2009 at 11:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •