Thread: IR Filter Enquiry...

Default IR Filter Enquiry...

Hi peeps..
    did a search on IR filter but i'm pretty still blur..as in..i couldn't find a direct ans to how this Hoya nfrared (R72) filter works...

i screw it onto my tamron lens....totally pitch dark...

er..so..question...wat's the purpose of this lens?!

*i got it free when i purchase other lens... in case some1 starts asking me y i buy this filter..haha..

thanks in advance for ur chip in...

cheers!

Default Re: IR Filter Enquiry...

Oh, there is a IR sub forum in here, think there is a step by step guide to it as well. I referred to it in the past too :P

Since you have the filter, go try it out and have fun with it. Take a look at the photos in the IR forum or do a IR search on flickr and you will see the effect of the filter.

Dun worry about the pitch dark thing. it's the way its supposed to be.
    Last edited by davee78; 16th October 2009 at 10:35 PM.

An IR filter such as the Hoya R72 blocks light from the visible spectrum, while allowing infrared light to pass through.

DSLRs have filters built into their sensors to limit the amount of visible light, otherwise it will interfere with the quality of your normal pictures (for example, infrared light focuses at a different point than visible light). So without cutting out the visible spectrum, the IR image will get overpowered.

What the R72 type filter does is remove the visible light, so you naturally cannot see anything through it when you look through it. But IR light is still passing through, although because your camera's sensor blocks IR light to some extent, you will usually need a much longer exposure to get a useable image.

Thankfully with DSLRs you can preview the effect on the screen straightaway to gauge the exposure requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by davee78 View Post
    Oh, there is a IR sub forum in here, think there is a step by step guide to it as well. I referred to it in the past too :P

Since you have the filter, go try it out and have fun with it. Take a look at the photos in the IR forum or do a IR search on flickr and you will see the effect of the filter.

Dun worry about the pitch dark thing. it's the way its supposed to be.
    hi..do u haf the link? i did a search, but can't really find it unless, i miss it?!..
    btw..thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    An IR filter such as the Hoya R72 blocks light from the visible spectrum, while allowing infrared light to pass through.

DSLRs have filters built into their sensors to limit the amount of visible light, otherwise it will interfere with the quality of your normal pictures (for example, infrared light focuses at a different point than visible light). So without cutting out the visible spectrum, the IR image will get overpowered.

What the R72 type filter does is remove the visible light, so you naturally cannot see anything through it when you look through it. But IR light is still passing through, although because your camera's sensor blocks IR light to some extent, you will usually need a much longer exposure to get a useable image.

Thankfully with DSLRs you can preview the effect on the screen straightaway to gauge the exposure requirements.
    er...i can't even focus..when i look through the view finder..is totally dark...m i suppose to use it on the day time with bright sun?..
    any you tube video?
    coz i dun seem to find this type of camera infrared filter in youtube..
    sad..

btw.thanks too..

cheers!

er...i can't even focus..when i look through the view finder..is totally dark...m i suppose to use it on the day time with bright sun?..
    any you tube video?
    coz i dun seem to find this type of camera infrared filter in youtube..
    sad..
    You focus when the filter is off, compose, and shoot. Shoot with a tripod in bright sun if possible

Quote Originally Posted by FireZ View Post
    camera infrared filter in youtube..
    Just google "how to shoot IR photos".
    Alpha

the ir filter cuts off a lot of light to render unique tones. it does things like make foliage glow (when it is in sunlight).. make water black.

adds a lot of contrast to the sky.

you need to:

1) set custom wb with filter on
    2) unscrew filter
    3) compose, prefocus and switch to manual focus on TRIPOD
    4) put on filter
    5) expose, metering will be tricky and usually based on experience need to overexpose significantly

here are some past photos taken with the r72.

hope this gives you some rough idea of what you can do with the filter.

like others already suggested, the stickies in the ir/uv section here in clubsnap is very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    You focus when the filter is off, compose, and shoot. Shoot with a tripod in bright sun if possible
    Oic..okok...i'll try to find a chance to try 2ml..
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Just google "how to shoot IR photos".
    Ooo..perhaps i should re phrase in my search..
    thanks for the tip!..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the ir filter cuts off a lot of light to render unique tones. it does things like make foliage glow (when it is in sunlight).. make water black.

adds a lot of contrast to the sky.

you need to:

1) set custom wb with filter on
    2) unscrew filter
    3) compose, prefocus and switch to manual focus on TRIPOD
    4) put on filter
    5) expose, metering will be tricky and usually based on experience need to overexpose significantly

here are some past photos taken with the r72.

hope this gives you some rough idea of what you can do with the filter.

like others already suggested, the stickies in the ir/uv section here in clubsnap is very useful.
    wow..nice pics... require long exposure i suppose?

hope 2ml weather is gd...so i can try out..

thanks all!
    Last edited by FireZ; 17th October 2009 at 07:00 AM.