Thread: Polarizing filter - Circular or Linear?

Default Polarizing filter - Circular or Linear?

I wanted to get a Polarizing filter for my Canon 40D, EFS 17-55mm lense. However, I am confused by the type of Polarizing filter.

As far as i had read it from wikipedia, I still don't really understand which one to get, a circular ones or linear ones?

Hopefully, someone at CS could advise me on the type of filters that i should get. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Polarizing filter - Circular or Linear?

circular polarizer filters are highly recommended, if Linear give you free also don't take.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by xxhellinvaderxx View Post
    I wanted to get a Polarizing filter for my Canon 40D, EFS 17-55mm lense. However, I am confused by the type of Polarizing filter.

As far as i had read it from wikipedia, I still don't really understand which one to get, a circular ones or linear ones?

Hopefully, someone at CS could advise me on the type of filters that i should get. Thanks in advance.
    You'd need a circular one for the NEW AF system, the old linear ones are meant for MF.

it's already mentioned in the Wiki :

The metering and auto-focus sensors in certain cameras, including virtually all auto-focus SLRs, will not work properly with linear polarizers because the beam-splitters used to split off the light for focusing and metering are polarization-dependent. Circular polarizers include a linear polarizer on the front, which selects one polarization of light while rejecting another, followed by a quarter-wave plate, which converts the selected polarization to circularly polarized light inside the camera, which works with all types of cameras, because mirrors and beam-splitters split circularly polarized light the same way they split unpolarized light.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    circular polarizer filters are highly recommended, if Linear give you free also don't take.
    Can still keep...

quite fun when you stack a C-PL with a Linear one... it gives you adjustable ND.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I've not seen/heard of linear polariser for the past 2 years, since I started photography.

hmmm..i see. Thanks people! =]