Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't Decide On A DSLR Camera

Default Re: Can't Decide On A DSLR Camera

so which is a better starting camera for beginners of DSLR? any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by snipershoots View Post
    It really depends on your budget and expectations.

Go to the shop and hold it Thats what i'm gonna do

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    PS: The Nikon D3000 is using a Sony CCD Sensor, which is the same as what is inside the A230 series... infact there are a number of Nikon cameras using Sony sensors.
    Actually iirc, all Sony and Nikon cameras share the same basic sensors due to the Sony/Nikon collaboration. How they implement their image processors may be different.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    Yes. If the part is important & do make a difference in Image Quality.

I believed Cameras are precise equipment & feel it's much better if made in Japan or higher end countries.
    Do you know that Hyundai cars are made with less defects in Beijing China, than in South Korea? I know I am not talking about cameras, but do you get what parallels I am trying to point out here?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 19th October 2009 at 11:52 AM.

Yes. If the part is important & do make a difference in Image Quality.

I believed Cameras are precise equipment & feel it's much better if made in Japan or higher end countries.
    You really need to learn more about cameras then.
    Alpha

Okay, here's my very simplistic way of looking at things - some people said that you should get the best camera out there because you'll end up with it. Problem is the best camera is way out of budget. So do what's best next, look for something within your budget that has a decent-sized sensor and lens.

My point of thinking is... what is the most important thing in any camera? It all boils down to the optics and sensor (or film). Not that I'm against high-tech stuff but the most important things besides the eye behind the camera are optics and sensor. And as long as the functions in terms of shutter speed, apertures, and focus can be adjusted. You have basically all the ingredients for getting good photos. I'm assuming that you want to take good solid photos and not just to have a cool looking camera.

Best entry level camera? That's subjective because of the marketing and branding - certain people tends to support their favorite brands. A good solid camera will do for now. So choose one that you're confident with and like yourself, NOT based on another's opinion/persuasion skills. Just remember to get one with good optics and quality sensor.

If you ask me what I'll recommend for starter - probably a 2nd hand D60. I got one and it costs less than my prosumer fz28. Of course, that's me. Other members might differ.

As for how the various companies implement image processing. That's way over my head but go surf the internet and read some comparisons and reviews. Although, the ultimate judge will be your own eyes and the quality of image (before post-processing) is captured.

Just my 2 cents worth for now.

Be it Nikon or Canon, I don't see the difference, because both are leader and main player in this field. So just go for your personal liking when trying out the cams, else, flip a coin.

To me, lenses are far more important than camera, and the more lens you purchased, the more you'll have to stick to that brand. (both Nikon and Canon offer excellent lenses and are always there to perfect it)

As a beginner, you must 1st decide how far you'll see yourself into this hobby (eg, where were you be in 3-5yrs time). Do you have time to learn/shoot/perfect your shot? Or you just want to buy a DSLR just becase digital photography is getting popular (and you look "pro" with that bulky camera).

If you ask me which camera is better to start with, I'll recommend to start with a 2nd hand camera. After you have tried n understand digital photography, you'll be able to answer all your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Or you just want to buy a DSLR just becase digital photography is getting popular (and you look "pro" with that bulky camera).
    I like that bit about looking pro with that bulky camera line.

Have to say that I agree with your line of thought in the rest of your post. Nice.

I think for whoever who starts out their journey in photography, they need to look at the entire system.

Lenses
    Say once you get better, what kind of photography you'll do? That will determine the future lenses you're gonna get? So, look at the lenses too. What is the price range for similar lenses? How about image quality? How about variety?

Flash
    Don't forget about flash too. Some brand have superior lighting system (Hint: Nik*n :P). Some brands are cheaper some are more expensive. Oh well, there're always 3rd party ones.

Resale
    And in the event you wanna drop the hobby, which brand has a bigger 2nd hand market? IMHO, the 3 bodies which the TS is considering will not last very long. It won't be long before he/she is infected with the BBB syndrome. :P

The next body upgrade
    Also, just in case you'll upgrade in the very near future. Do check out the next better range too? What is the price like? The feel? The features? I believe as you go higher, the difference will be more apparent as compared to entry level bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan920 View Post
    Go to the shop and hold it Thats what i'm gonna do
    Not just hold it. Try out all the functions like changing shutter speed, ISO, aperture, metering mode, AF mode, AF-MF switch, exposure compensation etc.. These will be the functions you'll be using very often.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Not just hold it. Try out all the functions like changing shutter speed, ISO, aperture, metering mode, AF mode, AF-MF switch, exposure compensation etc.. These will be the functions you'll be using very often.
    hahaha some newbies don't know that there are so many functions to play with!!
    My friend with D5000 still gives me a blank look when I go "changing the aperture affects the depth of field"....
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    hahaha some newbies don't know that there are so many functions to play with!!
    My friend with D5000 still gives me a blank look when I go "changing the aperture affects the depth of field"....
    You mean change aperture can blur the background arh?!?!? Just kidding :P

There is no cam that do it all, sure got its pros and cons, just go wif the one that suits u the most. If rich, get all the brands just kidding no offence

went to the web to compare canon 500d to nikon d90 it seem to be like not much different... in spec... of cause d90 still win in certain way.... i guess i have make up my mind on 500d.... got movie.. and other normal spec should be enough for me... wat other lens do u think i shld buy with that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wMaN View Post
    went to the web to compare canon 500d to nikon d90 it seem to be like not much different... in spec... of cause d90 still win in certain way.... i guess i have make up my mind on 500d.... got movie.. and other normal spec should be enough for me... wat other lens do u think i shld buy with that.
    500d and D90 are different classes of camers, sort of.

U see, you have to know how each company position their cameras against the competition. C and N never did compete squarely in camera class.

D3000 is between a 1000D and 500D
    D90 is between a 500D and 50D.
    D300 is between a 50D and 7D.

Then it gets wierd:
    D700 almost at level of 5D2
    1D is like in a class of its own, not here not there.
    D3x blows every thing else away but is way way ex.

Nikon then level the field with the D5000 which I think is on par at the same class with 500D.

So you see, no matter how to you compare a C model and a N model (with the exception of D5000 vs 500D), there are always things to argue about. Why? coz most of the models are not even at the same class level, which also means the prices are also different for each class.

Those cameras with a LCD on top are the mid & high end one which you will not see on their entry level.

D90 should be compared to 50D & not 500D.

Those cameras with a LCD on top are the mid & high end one which you will not see on their entry level.

D90 should be compared to 50D & not 500D.
    Like that i say cameras with in-body IS are all pros and those without are all entry level. Suggest u to research more before you say.

Recently, i started to have an interest in Photography and so was looking around for a DSLR camera. Also, I asked some of my friends who also has an interest in Photography about what DSLR camera should I get in order to learn more about Photography. Some said Sony's A330, others said Canon's 500D and also, some said Nikon's D3000. I have look through the details of the above mentioned cameras and thought that all three are quite similar to each other. Also, i went to shops and tried it out and felt that all were easy to handle. Now, what I would like to ask is:

1. What should I be finding in a DSLR Camera?
    2. Does any of the above mention DSLR Cameras have any significant advantage over the others?

Hope to hear some opinions

Snipershoots, A330/500D and D3000 do not have specific advantages over the other. Why not consider Olympus and Pentax as well?

Hahaha, this is coming from a Canon/Alpha user.... Please both camps of users don't flame me....

If cost is an issue now, suggest you try getting a camera from http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64
    I'm sure there are friendly bros out there who wouldn't mind you testing their cams and sharing info with you. Just be considerate and suit their timing and buy them a coffee while at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    Like that i say cameras with in-body IS are all pros and those without are all entry level. Suggest u to research more before you say.
    I am referring to Nikon & Canon only. Because looking at all their models. Their mid & high end models have the top lcd unlike their lower end one.

Maybe you can checked them up ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast