I'm an amateur photographer and have started experimenting with color negative and slide film (which is a big step from starting out with only b&w). I bought a few hot lights, backdrops, props, etc. for experimenting and shot a bunch of test rolls using daylight balanced film at different speeds (200 and 400)and noticed that in some pictures there was a slight yellow cast and in some there was a slight blue cast. The blue and yellow cast occured in the same roll of film.

I did some researching and apparently the yellow cast means that the color temperature of the light is too low for the film. The blue cast means that the color temperature of the light is too high for the film. Assuming this is correct (and keep in mind, I don't want to have to color balance every neg. scan I get back from the lab in Photoshop), would my next step be to:

a) use color correcting gelatin filters on my light source (the blue Kodak ones.. I can't remember what number they are)

b) use an 80A (light blue) filter on my lens

c) shoot tungsten balanced film-bracketing one stop each way

If anyone has any other steps to add to this process, please feel free to comment, I'm very new at this.

Assuming a b and c are solutions to my problem, do I use them all at the same time? if I only shoot tungsten balanced film with my hot lights (no filters), will this fix the problem? Can I shoot tungsten balanced film with a blue light (not a filter, just a regular blue bulb) will this correct the color temperature difference? (it seems unlikely but I had to ask)

Sorry for all of the inexperienced questions, I'm new at this and on a very strict 'poor college student' budget (meaning all of the things in my studio are either really cheap or home made )

Thanks for any help in advanced guys.