Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos backup in two drives of one external hdd

Default Photos backup in two drives of one external hdd

I am thinking to get a 1TB external hdd for my photos backup. The hdd will be divided into two drives and they will be mirrored using software like Norton Ghost.

Two questions:

1) Is this method advisable? Assuming no fire, no burglary and no physical damage. The hdd will just sit on my table.

2) If the hdd crash, how is the chance it will affect two drives?

Default Re: Photos backup in two drives of one external hdd

Quote Originally Posted by moodyfly View Post
    I am thinking to get a 1TB external hdd for my photos backup. The hdd will be divided into two drives and they will be mirrored using software like Norton Ghost.

Two questions:

1) Is this method advisable? Assuming no fire, no burglary and no physical damage. The hdd will just sit on my table.

"Divided into two drives".... I think you mean partitioned?

Partitioned drives mirrored in a RAID setup only avoid loss of data due to corruption of data. If the HDD fails due to hardware (either wear/tear, overheat or power surge) both partitions will fail together, so that is moot.

Partitioning your drive into two and then mirroring them at intervals (daily backup etc) is marginally better than having them in RAID access (where data is written simultaneously on both partitions). This is simply because due to the drive head moving back and forth and writing TWICE as usual, your drive's life is effectively halved.

If you truly want to be paranoid, then have one portable HDD (2.5") as your main read/write backup, then back it up on a 1TB 3.5" on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

Cheers.
    better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied -J.S. Mill
    1000D. My works

Disk storage is cheap these days. Your pictures are worth a lot more than a few hundred dollars you would spend to ensure resiliency.

My main C:drive does not contain data - only the OS and application software. A second internal drive D: contains data. Additionally I have a 3rd external harddrive for daily backup and a 4th external drive for weekly backup.

Too extreme? Perhaps so. But I have experienced harddisk failure before and believe me, it's painful. This arrangement gives me peace of mind. I'm now waiting for the blueray disk and equipment prices to come down. That will serve as my final non-magnetic media backup

Quote Originally Posted by lightbrush View Post
    My main C:drive does not contain data - only the OS and application software. A second internal drive D: contains data. Additionally I have a 3rd external harddrive for daily backup and a 4th external drive for weekly backup.
    :
    Agree. This is my current set up too, except that I stop at the 3rd backup.

Two questions:

This partitioning only gives you backup from say, deleting or overwriting your work... but you do not get any physical back up with this method. If your HDD crashes, there's a good chance, you won't recovery easily. Better to have 2 physical hard drives.

Raid is not a backup solution.

Thanks guys for your inputs!

Quote Originally Posted by Keenblade View Post
    If you truly want to be paranoid, then have one portable HDD (2.5") as your main read/write backup, then back it up on a 1TB 3.5" on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
    this sounds good. but a 500GB freeagent Go and a 1TB freeagent Desk (used as a guide) will cost me more than $300.. sigh

There's a software called SyncBackSE which I use to manually sync both my external hdd. Check it out; the free version is good enough for me.

I normally carry one with me for use, and then sync to the other whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    There's a software called SyncBackSE which I use to manually sync both my external hdd. Check it out; the free version is good enough for me.

I normally carry one with me for use, and then sync to the other whenever I can.
    Thanks for the recommendation!

upload photo online & in your hard disk?

hi. i may know how to partition the hdd into two? sorry noob here

Quote Originally Posted by tealeaves View Post
    Such appliances (NAS boxes) come with a user interface and a manual. That's enough to do it properly.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by tealeaves View Post
    the no-brainer answer is go to control panel, admin tools, computer management, disk management. delete the partitions and re-create.

the brainer question is, do you know that if your harddisk fails, both partition will likely be gone because it's still the same physical harddisk (e.g. accidentally drop). so if the plan is to back up into the same physical copy, you have limited "insurance", i.e. if you delete accidentally then you still have a copy but if the harddisk dies... then good luck.

Two questions:
    1) No. Still both drives share the same physical disk.
    2) See previous answer.

For properly mirroring check for NAS appliances (Buffalo and others), insert 2 identical hdd's and follow the user interface to setup RAID1. The system will automatically save two copies of the same file, immediately and in real-time. If one drive fails the other drive will still have the files available. Upon replacing the faulty drive the NAS box will resync the drives.
    Norton Ghost is meant for other purposes...
    EOS

1) Not advisable. Pls use 2 hdds instead.

2) If hdd crash, all gone! (unless you pay to recover data)
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

For me, i do a backup on my 1.5TB hard disk and on a monthly basis, burn a month's worth of fotos into DVD. Of course my fotos are also residing in my HDD in the computer but i could delete them once space runs out with 2 copies of backup backing me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew View Post
    For me, i do a backup on my 1.5TB hard disk and on a monthly basis, burn a month's worth of fotos into DVD. Of course my fotos are also residing in my HDD in the computer but i could delete them once space runs out with 2 copies of backup backing me up.
    Burning to DVD (Using a regular drive) is actually not a permanent method for backing up data. After a few years, the data could magically disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Burning to DVD (Using a regular drive) is actually not a permanent method for backing up data. After a few years, the data could magically disappear.
    Is your DVD scratched or mouldy? I thought DVD is the safest storage ... if kept properly.
    Nikon.D90 | Canon.S90 | Project 365

Quote Originally Posted by thotshouse View Post
    Is your DVD scratched or mouldy? I thought DVD is the safest storage ... if kept properly.
    There are not much long-term data for the reliability of DVD media. Some simulations show loss of data, especially when kept in warmer ambient temperature. If you need the reliability for more than a couple of years you'll need to use industry solutions (WORM), they are certified for 20 years and more. Some years back I used MO drives and MO media for that. Last media type I used was about 2GB. Not sure whether this technology is still in use / available.
    EOS

i maintain a separate backup disk...

and my more important images are kept on flickr albeit without their RAW (which isn't directly necessary after the PP is done).

i intend to maintain a 2nd backup disk via NAS shortly. one will be longer term backups (monthly), the other would be weekly or after a major shoot.

like someone has mentioned - hdd is cheap these days. you can get like 500gb in a portable for around a hundred bucks. shouldn't sacrifice...

hmm.. i am thinking of getting an an additional hdd as well.

My situation is a little bit different. I have an external hdd whereby i save all my photos and other media files, which is linked to my desktop and my wife's desktop so both of us can access. I am considering whether i should get another external hdd to back up or just use my desktop hdd to back up. Of course, if use desktop's hdd, then i need to upgrade to higher capacity and maybe speed as well.

Any suggestions and how it should be done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast