Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 589101112152035 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB: You'll Never Walk Alone! (41) next season, perhaps?

Default Re: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB: You'll Never Walk Alone! (41) next season, perhaps?

LIVERPOOL 1-2 LYON
    Liverpool sink further into the mire

By Harry Harris
    (Archive)

October 20, 2009

No beach ball farce, but the tide has not turned at Anfield. Far from it. In fact, Rafa Benitez seems trapped in sand, quick sand. He is sinking fast.

Four straight defeats is Liverpool's worst run for 22 years! Captain Jamie Carragher put on a brave face afterwards, but this is now officially a crisis. A much over used word in football; but there is a genuine one enveloping Anfield.

Manchester United are up next at Anfield. Is it the right game to get Liverpool out of their present critical stage, or yet another nightmare with the club stuck in eighth place in a Premier League table that exposes the team's problems in trying to qualify again for the Champions League next season? Have they ever needed a win over United more than they do now?

If you ask me, I'd say the confrontation with Manchester United will fill Anfield with even more trepidation; another major obstacle to any hope of an immediate recovery. It would be a major shock now if Liverpool beat the league leaders. Possible, of course, as you can never write-off Liverpool, particularly when their backs are against the wall. But not with confidence so low at Anfield, and without two match winners in Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

Benitez desperately needs Torres back to lead the attack, but my guess is that Gerrard is going to need a rest cure for that troublesome groin before he ends up needing surgery.

A smattering of boos greeted the final whistle after a defeat that puts Liverpool's chances of qualification to the knock-out stages in peril, and yet Liverpool's are the most supportive of supporters. But their patience cannot be limitless and it must now be growing thin. Benitez shook his head in disbelief on the touchline. There doesn't seem to be an immediate answer and that is most worrying.

It just gets worse and worse. Stevie G lasted just 25 minutes before trooping off with a renewed groin complaint. The initial 'word' is that the injury is just a precaution but I doubt it. It is clearly far more worrying than anyone is letting on. Clearly, Gerrard felt a problem with his groin and he knew he couldn't continue. It was a risk to put him out there, and emphasised the urgency of Liverpool's position, already without Torres.

While the 'word' again suggested Gerrard will be ready for Sunday's clash with United, again I doubt whether the club can take another big risk with such a vital player.

I am sure Fabio Capello will be just as worried. We all should be. Gerrard is so important to England's World Cup cause, and there could be some lasting damage if he is continually risked in this way.

Even a rare positive to be taken the game - the impressive full debut of local boy Martin Kelly - was tarnished as the Under-20 international was removed after suffering an injury during the pin-ball equaliser.

As for this Champions League tie, there was always a nagging feeling that Lyon would win at Anfield. You could sense the nervousness, the edginess, the lack of confidence as Liverpool started so tentatively.

When Benayoun scored just before half-time it was a huge relief, but it also lifted everyone - the crowd and the entire team, and there was a feeling that the team had to be united with Gerrard going off. But whatever Benitez said to his players at half-time, they came out like the away side, while Lyon went out believing they could win it, and they did.

An equaliser came from emergency centre-half Maxime Gonalons and the winner from substitute César Delgado, one of the few players Diego Maradona hasn't picked for Argentina, although he has won his fair share of caps and is still a classy performer.

Lyon's first win over English opposition in the Champions League has left Liverpool in dire straights in the group, with a real chance of failing to qualify.

And as I had been pointing out before the game, those who know the club's financial frailties are fully aware that without the £30 million Champions League cash next season there are huge concerns about the interest repayments to the banks.

On all levels the crisis engulfing Anfield couldn't possibly be much worse. Or could it? We shall find out on Sunday in what must now rank as one of the most important games between Liverpool and Manchester United in modern times.
    Last edited by Cheesecake; 21st October 2009 at 07:22 AM.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Default Re: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB: You'll Never Walk Alone! (41) next season, perhaps?

sunday we're hosting manCircle utd. get ready boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    After 4 straight defeat, the team has to get at least a point at Aintfield.

Interesting Gerard Houlier came back....will he stay ?
    EOS 40D;50mm f1.4 ; Lancer EX Sports 2.0
    Fan of Man Utd since 1977

Jonathan Redfearn

Only Kelly, benayoun and Macherano came out of that game with any credit. What the **** is lucas still doing at Anfield he does absoloutly nothing for the team, Ngog couldn't get in most league one sides. I pray rafa turns it round soon or he's out.

Christopher Bradley Steel

rafa has to go u cant blame it on that he has no money. he has bought in 67 players in the last 5 years.BYE BYE RAFA

Ross Eduard Golding

The players need to take more ownership over their performances and winning their individual battles on the pitch.
    The best formation would be; Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Insua, Mascherano, Gerrard, Kuyt, Riera, Benayoun and Torres. Cant keep playing Lucas and Carragher is losing his legs...although has been a quality defender for many seasons now.

If Benitez rings in these changes and gets a couple of decent players in the winter transfer window we can be back in there challenging.
    We also have the Carling Cup and FA Cup ahead of us, and plenty of time to catch up with the top of the table.... Read More
    It starts by showing Man U who we really are this coming Sunday.

Its time to get behind this team and not slag it off because of recent bad form.
    If we are the best fans in the world, we need to let our voices and support be heard!!
    Good form is also brought by the 12th man!!
    YOU´LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!

perhaps this sunday's fixture is raf999's last match in charge!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    After 4 straight defeat, the team has to get at least a point at Aintfield.

Interesting Gerard Houlier came back....will he stay ?
    u can take raf999 home with u it is ok. u two can form circles!! hehe

gerard houllier is not coming back la. dun worry.

u can take raf999 home with u it is ok. u two can form circles!! hehe

gerard houllier is not coming back la. dun worry.
    Didnt u say that LFC will beat the hell of Lyon?
    EOS 40D;50mm f1.4 ; Lancer EX Sports 2.0
    Fan of Man Utd since 1977

Defends..... to me looks like Tattoo Artists..... Midfield...only first half...... Striker.... Clown on the field.......

One of the darkest period...

Hope LFC will be able to walk out of the storm soon.

YNWA

Not good not good.

A quick comment tho, totally unrelated to anything posted on this thread before (ie I'm not having a dig at anyone).

The Livepool fans as is usual gave relatively healthy applause to the Lyon players at the end of the game. What surprised me was when then Liverpool players came back out for their post match warm down, the Lyon fans to a man stood and applauded the Liverpool team.

I suppose it's easy to be magnanimous after a victory, but I don't think I've observed away fans applauding the home team before, so kudos to every Lyon supporter out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    Didnt u say that LFC will beat the hell of Lyon?
    we were!! until they realised that they haf a ticket out of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Not good not good.

A quick comment tho, totally unrelated to anything posted on this thread before (ie I'm not having a dig at anyone).

The Livepool fans as is usual gave relatively healthy applause to the Lyon players at the end of the game. What surprised me was when then Liverpool players came back out for their post match warm down, the Lyon fans to a man stood and applauded the Liverpool team.

I suppose it's easy to be magnanimous after a victory, but I don't think I've observed away fans applauding the home team before, so kudos to every Lyon supporter out there.
    though i hate to lose, but i understand that the team is undergoing a difficult patch.

i've reached this highest level of zen-hood. the buang results no longer get to me. i just laugh myself silly and goondu-ly away all the sadness and sorrow, not forgetting having a good time making fun of the manCircle utd fans that gathered here, trying to form circles with our fans.

anyway, to cut a long story short, i will continue to support the team.

You'll Never Walk Alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelion View Post
    Defends..... to me looks like Tattoo Artists..... Midfield...only first half...... Striker.... Clown on the field.......
    i think i will be away on biz trip for this sunday's fixture!! hahahahaha!

Amazing tactic for world class manager...

LIVERPOOL 1-2 LYON
    Liverpool sink further into the mire

Haizz... what can I say... speechless

Get ready to be amazed again...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyboy View Post
    Amazing tactic for world class manager...
    i already numb to it all liao.

just wish that the season will end quicker....... ............ .............

and i miss alonso.

perhaps this sunday's fixture is raf999's last match in charge!

Brudder Rodz will take over...

He seems to be quiet lately, may be negociating his contract at antfield

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
    One of the darkest period...

Hope LFC will be able to walk out of the storm soon.

YNWA

We are now in the perfect storm... hard to get out...

Get ready to be amazed again...
    bo la. nothing fazes me.

meanwhile my blood continues to surge to the wrong head.

Brudder Rodz will take over...

He seems to be quiet lately, may be negociating his contract at antfield
    we all know mah. he raf999 in disguise.

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 589101112152035 ... LastLast